Celebrity in New Zealand

salmn

We are looking at a New Zealand cruise on Celebrity Solstice. What they do during the three days listed as "Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound, and Dusky Sound" Just wondering if this is worthwhile or should we be doing a land based tour? Thanks for any input from someone who has done this cruise.

We are looking at a New Zealand cruise on Celebrity Solstice. What they do during the three days listed as "Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound, and Dusky Sound" Just wondering if this is worthwhile or should we be doing a land based tour? Thanks for any input from someone who has done this cruise.

I expect it’s one day, not three. Some truly spectacular scenic cruising.

Cruising the Sounds was one of the absolute highlights for me. So much so that we are booked to do it again.

We are taking this cruise at the end of January 2019. We'd welcome tips for the NZ ports for independent tours.

We have some OBC so we'll take one of the ship tours at one of the ports, most likely the Maori experience.

We're spending 4 days pre-cruise in Port Douglas, 5 days with friends in Melbourne & a week in Sydney, so we're all sorted there.

In Akaroa we took a cruise around the bay in a small boat https://www.akaroadolphins.co.nz/. My kids were very keen on the very cute dolphin spotting dogs. It was a lovely trip and allowed us to be stress free about how long the tender process was as we booked for, I think, midday. We then spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around the lovely town of Akaroa spending money in their very attractive shops! Dunedin we took the Taieri Gorge train. We arranged it ourselves rather than take the ships tour as this was much cheaper. However I have read that sometimes the ships book the whole availability so if you want to do that, you may have to take the ship tour. We also would have enjoyed getting on the train from the ship, which is only available if you take the ship tour.

We cruised the Sounds in 2017 and it was amazing. Here is a link to my blog which was written onboard during the cruise. It will give you some idea of what to expect and as GUT2407 has already explained, its all done in one day.

Celebrity Solstice Postcard #12 – A Sea Day Cruising the Sounds

• Like 1

Wow--that makes me feel better. They listed the three sounds separately but they are all on the same day. I thought it might be three more sea days in addition to the ones we already have. Think we will proceed with booking.:D

Hi salmn.

Just returned not long ago on the solstice. We completely missed the sounds and Dunedin due to weather conditions. Just hoping you actually get to experience it as lots of people miss it like us due to adverse weather, and yes it is only 1 day.

• 4 months later...