Ocean Medallion

RestonCruiser

Time to cut your enormous losses Princess. Nothing wrong with the old card system. If it aint broke why try to fix it. Signed old codger fixed in his ways.

***** is no longer being prominently promoted on the Princess homepage & now it’s just one of the dozens of subcategories listed in small print at the bottom of their homepage. Like after all of the hoopla about celebrity chef Stone disappeared after the disappointing results of that experiment. The addition of Share quickly ended but their investment pales in comparison to ***** so it’s extremely doubtful that CCL/PCL management will follow your recommendation. While I agree with you, they’ve already spent so much on ***** they’re unlikely to end it by admitting it was an unworkable decision.

In an interview the CCL CEO he stated that expanding ***** to other CCL brands would be based on customer satisfaction.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/will-princess-cruises-future-medallion-tech-change-the-face-of-travel.html

“But it’s not about the technology; it’s about the guests, and so we just have to see how it actually resonates with guests. We think they’re going to love it, but we’ll see; and of course, if they do love it, every brand will be clamoring for it.”

But waiting for passenger feedback didn’t happen for Princess ships because every ship that’s had shipyard maintenance has been prepared for *****. He further stated that Princess was the first CCL brand to get ***** because the Princess president was the initial team member to express interest” in *****.

Previously in this thread caribill posted that during the yearly CCL investor’s meeting there was no mention about ***** problems. Their goal to be a leader in cruise technology may have been an admirable decision to some but never would have greatly improved my cruise experience. Although I’m not the demographic ***** was designed to attract with all of its cool technology.

Edited by Astro Flyer

the crack IT ***** team must be working with the IRS also, as their E-File and Direct Pay systems are both down on this April 17th due date for filing and paying taxes...( excluding extensions and for calendar year taxpayers, and, and, and...:cool:

Thanks for the info - MedallionNet is fantastic isn't it? When you say you "Don’t need to carry our ship cards with us while onboard" - aren't the cards still needed for purchasing drinks from the bar and items from the shops?

If ***** is working (and that's a big IF but poster says it is working for them), you won't need cards to purchase drinks from the bar and items from the shops. You just need your medallion on your person.

If ***** is working (and that's a big IF but poster says it is working for them), you won't need cards to purchase drinks from the bar and items from the shops. You just need your medallion on your person.

I'm quite aware of what's supposed to occur but it hasn't been working fully yet in these areas and that's why I'm asking. It would be a big step forward if so. Also their statement was followed by "Just use the ***** for cabin entrance." which seems to indicate it is still limited to that.

Not sure who told you that but I read on the original ***** webpage that the CB was the 3rd ship scheduled (second class of ship) after the Regal (November 2017) and Royal (January 2018) were the first two ships scheduled.

That statement was on the *****’s webpage which has been removed & it currently only states that on the Regal “as we phase in Ocean Medallion activation by groups of staterooms throughout 2018” and nothing about other ships.

Being booked on a Royal cruise, I noted that it was scheduled as the second ship but didn’t take a screenshot shot as proof of their original schedule not thinking it would drastically change.

Your information is correct. The implementation schedule that was originally stated was:

Regal Princess - First Medallion Cruise: November 13, 2017

Royal Princess - First Medallion Cruise: January 9, 2018

Caribbean Princess - First Medallion Cruise: March 18, 2018

Your information is correct. The implementation schedule that was originally stated was:

Thanks Thrak for the confirmation & in that interview with the CCL CEO they had the same order for implementation.

I routinely bookmark things that I many need to view later however I didn’t anticipate the poorly planned ***** implementation so didn’t keep proof of the schedule.

Since then Princess notified me that 16 months after scheduled implementation that our Royal cruise will not have *****.

This press release has most of the original roll out information:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2283431

In an interview the CCL CEO he stated that expanding ***** to other CCL brands would be based on customer satisfaction.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/will-princess-cruises-future-medallion-tech-change-the-face-of-travel.html

From that link:

"Princess is the perfect choice to first receive the technology as it really is a natural evolution of its award-winning Princess@Sea mobile app, "

Even princess can't decide if they have an app...

I haven’t been able to read all recent posts but at the huge CC M&G the captain and about 8 staff were present and took as many questions as 250 of us had. There seems to be some confusion among the posters. The great fast internet had nothing to do with Ocean Medallion. They are two separate things. The fast speed internet is up and running great. I was on the Regal in January and now. The internet enhancement was complete by mid January. They specifically told us they were not going to continue work on the Regal with the ocean Medallion until it returns to the US after the summer season.,.no one is even working on it on the Regal since the workers were left in the US or more likely the Bahamas. One of the staff inadvertently riled the crowd since he said management had decided to do the Caribbean Princess next since it would remain near the workers and younger people would want to have the latest technology. Well that inadvertent slip of the tongue got a rise from the crowd that many older folks are just as tech savvy as younger people. A CC member who seemed about ten years younger was the one who made the statement. He was upset that he didn’t have it. No one asked the obvious and that is if they can’t get it to work on the Regal how are they going to get it to work on the Caribbean. I think they are trying to mix the new internet which is up and running fine with the Ocean Medallion ant the Medallions will vanish and the great new internet will be their success story. Mike

I forgot to mention they said specifically the problem is that it was conceived and tested in a concrete building and not in a metal one....as someone mentioned previously this is the problem they identified with the Captain and staff present. This is way outside my field of expertise but previous posters have nailed the problem. They didn’t indicate whether a solution is possible. Knowing this it is interesting to go back to the link of Jan and the inventor hyping it in a previous post. Rather amusing. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry for the multiple posts but they also said they were no longer going to be sending it prior to cruises. I have a suspicion it is just going to disappear completely! If I owned stock, I don’t, I would be asking a lot of questions of management! Mike

They specifically told us they were not going to continue work on the Regal with the ocean Medallion until it returns to the US after the summer season.,.no one is even working on it on the Regal since the workers were left in the US or more likely the Bahamas.

Thanks Mike. So no chance of a ramp up on Regal for at least 5 months! That's decided it for us - we were hoping to get a full ***** experience on her at the end of October and it's looking less likely now so looking to revise our plans now.

Sandra

I forgot to mention they said specifically the problem is that it was conceived and tested in a concrete building and not in a metal one....as someone mentioned previously this is the problem they identified with the Captain and staff present.

I am not sure how much the ***** technology would be affected by the metal. There are thousands of sensors around the ship, so an ***** should be recognized by the nearest sensor without steel walls involved. The sensors will use wireless intranet technology, but the devices needing to receive the signals should be relatively close and not behind a steel wall.

.no one is even working on it on the Regal since the workers were left in the US or more likely the Bahamas. One of the staff inadvertently riled the crowd since he said management had decided to do the Caribbean Princess next since it would remain near the workers...

Two parts to program, hardware and software. I have seen nothing posted to indicate ANY hardware issues. Think of the Herculean task, no one has stated if new doors simply unlock like they do now or if new system actually throws latch open. In any case EVERY CABIN DOOR lock has to be replaced and possibly wired for power and programming. All this work can't be done between cruises. If you've read other threads, Princess has been taking back deck space from the launder-mats to create new crew quarters. Just thinking there will be ongoing work on the ships DURING the cruises.

They specifically told us they were not going to continue work on the Regal with the ocean Medallion until it returns to the US after the summer season.,.no one is even working on it on the Regal since the workers were left in the US or more likely the Bahamas.

urgh..so that means my October cruise will not have the *****

What is going to happen when Princess removes the ***** vacation banner on my sailing after final payment? i wish they could of gave me some kind of OBC for false advertising a ***** vacation when it is not

Two parts to program, hardware and software. I have seen nothing posted to indicate ANY hardware issues. Think of the Herculean task, no one has stated if new doors simply unlock like they do now or if new system actually throws latch open. In any case EVERY CABIN DOOR lock has to be replaced and possibly wired for power and programming. All this work can't be done between cruises. If you've read other threads, Princess has been taking back deck space from the launder-mats to create new crew quarters. Just thinking there will be ongoing work on the ships DURING the cruises.

You approach your door and your door unlocks. You still physically have to push down on the handle and open the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not sure how much the ***** technology would be affected by the metal. There are thousands of sensors around the ship, so an ***** should be recognized by the nearest sensor without steel walls involved. The sensors will use wireless intranet technology, but the devices needing to receive the signals should be relatively close and not behind a steel wall.

As I said I have no background, merely repeating what we were told by staff two days ago, Mike

Edited by bobby3334

They made it explicit no work will continue until Regal returns to US in the Fall. Said No workers on this technology are on board or working

Secretly ... no work on technology on this series of voyages. All workers on the new technology diverted to Caribbean Princess. Mike

I would keep those Medallions...they might be valuable one day. The problem is with Carnival corporate I would guess not specifically with Princess since Jan keeps saying how honored they were to be picked to roll out the Medallion

As I said the Internet is as they say the fastest at Sea. I think I read they used something like 7 miles of wire. My impression is that the Caribbean is going to get the high speed Internet next. The Ocean Medallion program is back somewhere on the drawing boards. I see on the Regal at the moment some of the staff is still wearing a banner saying Medallion. As I said I was on the Regal in January and now again in April. As near as I can tell 2 Muster stations have the Medallion out of 8 which is roughly the same number as in January which means they made very little progress in 3 months before they gave up for the season. Again the Internet is great!!! Mike

I would keep those Medallions...they might be valuable one day. The problem is with Carnival corporate I would guess not specifically with Princess since Jan keeps saying how honored they were to be picked to roll out the Medallion

As I said the Internet is as they say the fastest at Sea. I think I read they used something like 7 miles of wire. My impression is that the Caribbean is going to get the high speed Internet next. The Ocean Medallion program is back somewhere on the drawing boards. I see on the Regal at the moment some of the staff is still wearing a banner saying Medallion. As I said I was on the Regal in January and now again in April. As near as I can tell 2 Muster stations have the Medallion out of 8 which is roughly the same number as in January which means they made very little progress in 3 months before they gave up for the season. Again the Internet is great!!! Mike

We are on the current Regal voyage. Only Muster station B is the Ocean Medallion station according to what we were told on embarkation day at the muster drill. This location is by the shops and art gallery. There is NO seating. If passengers were unable to stand they were taken to Muster station C where seating was available. That is where muster station C has come into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums