Cruise Critic Community
mitsugirly

MITSUGIRLY has a JEWEL of a time on my 1st RC cruise in years!

Following. Great review so far! Your daughter is a talented little artist and you get MAJOR cool points mom for the mermaid fin.

Thanks for the review as always, Kim. My wife and I are considering a Royal cruise next summer, your review is going to be extra helpful!!

Monday morning and time to rise and shine at 6:30am. I was having problems sleeping...truth be known I was VERY worried about the time frame today.

P4112811%20copy-L.jpg

I woke my family up at 7am and we were out the door by 7:15am.

Up the elevators we went to the buffet. Only this time...we noticed something...

P4020765%20copy-L.jpg

All the elevators said "Monday" on them. Hmmm. The day before they said "Sunday" and the hubby even ask me if that might have been the previous name to the ship. LOL So now we know. They actually change them daily to say what day it is. How neat is that!

I feel like such an idiot now.

We made it to the buffet and there was hardly anyone here. That's weird. No crowd and your choice of tables to sit at. No waiting in line for food. Well this is a first.

Then I discovered it...the ABSOLUTE BEST BACON IN THE WORLD!!! Made right here on the Jewel. It was cooked PERFECT and crispy with no fat or chewy stuff and layered in the tray perfect and best part...NO BACON POLICE! Hallelujah! I had found my favorite place to be!

They also had corn beef hash! It was AMAZING <--- I'm singing that word now in my opera voice.

(Notice the potatoes and no hashbrowns discovered yet.)

IMG_3916%20copy-L.jpg

Well hello there St Croix...

P4020764%20copy-L.jpg

[/qOuote]

Our granddaughter has Cystic Fibrosis, plus CFRD(CF related diabetes)and must eat a high fat, low sugar diet. She ordered a plate of bacon for breakfast last summer during a hospital stay. Her endocrinologist came in and was so pleased that he took a picture. We are going on RCI AOS in 2020 with family for 50th anniversary.

Love your review.

My My, what a great review. Your pictures tell so many stories; plus you have better photos than Royal Caribbean has on their website. Thank you, thank you for this great review. Loved the water shots in St. Croix.

Why thank you so much for the kind words. I appreciate it!

Great review... thank you for bringing us along... I think this is a BRITTO... hence the $3k tag price! LOL... I am sure Sakari can do this much better!

YES! That's him. I looked up some of this work while we were on the ship. They have copied his work into everything under the sun with household items, wallets and so on.

I don't know if Sakari can do better....yet....!!! hehe

We ate there before our Jewel cruise last year, and agree completely. The fish tacos (and to a lesser extent the shrimp) were incredible, the best I have ever had. If we get back there, we will definitely be going again.

They were so amazing I vowed to come back after our cruise to have them again!

You're welcome!

OMG. I did not even realize. I was on my phone and it was supposed to be "community". Must have typed something weird and it corrected to "colony". Hahah!!!

haha, well, I wasn't sure about the terminology but hey colony worked. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Sakari's water skills are simply amazing.

I can't wait to read about all the ports. I've only done one cruise on RC but thought the food was great. Looking forward to reading the rest of your adventure!

Yea, she's a great swimmer. Many years of practicing and being a mermaid. She learned to swim when she was 3 years old.

We need a"like" button ..

Your review is sooo good. It's like a great book that you can't put down..

Even woke up from my nap (work all night) to continue...

Aww thanks! I'm so glad you are enjoying it.

BTW, my son loves “bacon mountain” too!! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BACON MOUNTAIN!! YES! That's my new term and description from now on!

Following. Great review so far! Your daughter is a talented little artist and you get MAJOR cool points mom for the mermaid fin.

Thanks so much. I get EXTRA MAJOR points because she actually has 7 mermaid covers and 2 tails now. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Thanks for the review as always, Kim. My wife and I are considering a Royal cruise next summer, your review is going to be extra helpful!!

Thanks and glad it's helpful.

Our granddaughter has Cystic Fibrosis, plus CFRD(CF related diabetes)and must eat a high fat, low sugar diet. She ordered a plate of bacon for breakfast last summer during a hospital stay. Her endocrinologist came in and was so pleased that he took a picture. We are going on RCI AOS in 2020 with family for 50th anniversary.

Love your review.

Well RC is the place to get the bacon! It's amazing. Hopefully all of their ships have this bacon-cooking down to a tee!

We made it to the snorkeling spot and everyone was standing in line to go down the ladder and into the water. We decided we were going to jump!!!

Sakari insisted that I go first...so I did. Now this girl jumped off a 2 story deck at Little French Key when she was 3 years old...she did it again a few years ago. All of a sudden, she has a fear of jumping off things. Last year in Aruba, she backed out of going on this little baby zip line (IMO). Now she was afraid of jumping off a boat!

_Vkk4yFDYNk

But eventually she did jump and was super happy about it.

Hubby decided he would climb down the stairs. Jumping isn't his thing because of his eardrums...or lack there of.

We met up with him. I forgot to mention...you HAVE to wear snorkeling life jackets. It's the rule there (so they said). However, you don't have to blow them up. Just as long as you have them on is fine. I struggle with this with Sakari because she absolutely refuses to wear them and has such a fit about it. But, once she was informed that she didn't have to blow it up, she was good. Mermaids Must Be Able To Dive!

They had some life jackets with words wrote on it. They gave the hubby one that said Married and I got one that said "I'm his".

P4020478%20copy-L.jpg

I looked down and seen this...

P4020481%20copy-L.jpg

P4020483%20copy-L.jpg

We were told to follow the "leaders" and they were going to take us on the "tour". I tried to stay back as far as I can. I'm not a fan of getting kicked in the face by those that kicked like they got some place to be. That's not snorkeling. You have to glide along so that you do not disturb the sealife...otherwise they hide!

There were little "markers" on the seafloor that told you things. The only problem was, it told you various types of fish...which were nowhere to be found.

P4020486%20copy-L.jpg

P4020487%20copy-L.jpg

P4020489%20copy-L.jpg

P4020497%20copy-L.jpg

P4020498%20copy-L.jpg

My little mermaid was ahead of me. She decided to only wear her tail and not take the time to put the entire "getup" on.

P4020499%20copy-L.jpg

P4020500%20copy-L.jpg

P4020501%20copy-L.jpg

P4020504%20copy-L.jpg

We came up and around this corner and I got this really weird feeling.

P4020491%20copy-L.jpg

Do you guys notice anything?

P4020506%20copy-L.jpg

The entire seafloor looked like a dead coral graveyard. It was super weird and super spooky looking. I didn't know what to think. Did someone gather up all the dead coral and decide to dump it here? Did a hurricane destroy it? What is going on? This is supposed to be a protected area and it looked dead!!

P4020508%20copy-L.jpg

P4020511%20copy-L.jpg

Pink bubbles? What the heck?

P4020512%20copy-L.jpg

As we kept going, we did start to see more coral, but there really wasn't many fish in the area. I was sorta disappointed at what I was seeing...or lack there of.

P4020513%20copy-L.jpg

There are a lot of places that the coral is so close to the top of the water and you had to be careful. I guess that's why you needed to stay on the path.

P4020514%20copy-L.jpg

P4020516%20copy-L.jpg

P4020518%20copy-L.jpg

P4020522%20copy-L.jpg

P4020525%20copy-L.jpg

More stacks of dead coral

P4020526%20copy-L.jpg

P4020527%20copy-L.jpg

P4020528%20copy-L.jpg

P4020531%20copy-L.jpg

This is seriously just weird...

P4020534%20copy-L.jpg

"The field of the dead"

This is like a scene from a movie of a mermaid trying to find her friends in the forbidden valley of death. I'm expecting a sea monster to come bursting out of the dead coral. It was just so eerie.

P4020535%20copy-L.jpg

P4020536%20copy-L.jpg

P4020542%20copy-L.jpg

At one point we got near the end and they ask us if we wanted to go beyond the path and head out to the ocean...um...ok. So, we did and got about 20' out from the path and they said "ok, you can turn around now...there's no way out". What the heck? What was the point in that?

P4020544%20copy-L.jpg

P4020547%20copy-L.jpg

P4020548%20copy-L.jpg

P4020549%20copy-L.jpg

P4020550%20copy-L.jpg

Hey look...there's actually a fish down here!

P4020552%20copy-L.jpg

P4020557%20copy-L.jpg

And a few more parrot fish.

P4020558%20copy-L.jpg

At one point, my hubs started tugging at me and pointing. I'm trying to figure out what the heck he is looking at. We came up to conversate. He said with so much enthusiasm in his voice "Did you see that blue fish???? It has TEETH!!!" I'm really not sure what type of look I had on my face at that point but I'm pretty sure I took a big gulp of water from laughing at his "parrot fish" story. Sigh. He really must get out more.

Not sure what setting my camera ended up on, but I liked this picture anyhow.

P4020562%20copy-L.jpg

When we got back to the beginning, they cut us loose and told us that we were free to explore on our own. So off we went exploring with Sakari in the lead.

P4020563%20copy-L.jpg

More of those fish with teeth.

P4020567%20copy-L.jpg

Check out this rock (at least I think it was a rock/coral). It looked just like a fish or eel coming up out of the bottom of the ocean. I stared at it for awhile and it didn't move. I assume it was just a fish rock. Or maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me because of the horror of a coral graveyard I had experienced.

P4020570%20copy-L.jpg

P4020571%20copy-L.jpg

Ok so...I'm thinking National Park=awesome snorkeling. I had seen a few pictures online prior to coming here and I thought they looked pretty decent. I had high expectations upon arrival and I was picturing something similar to my snorkeling experience at Rendezvous Caye in Belize. That was AMAZING! Or even our fairly shallow scuba dive in Roatan. But, I was pretty disappointed at this point. Hardly any fish and if there was any fish...it was your normal "everyday fish" like the parrot fish or blue surgeons.

I had lost all hope...and then...Sakari and daddy spotted this beauty!!!!!!!

P4020572%20copy-L.jpg

HE WAS HUGE!! Like the biggest I have seen so far.

P4020573%20copy-L.jpg

P4020577%20copy-L.jpg

P4020580%20copy-L.jpg

The pictures are great. The water is literally crystal clear. It's really creepy looking at a dead reef. I remember seeing something similar snorkeling Trunk Bay about ten or so years ago after it has been hit by a hurricane.

P4020584%20copy-L.jpg

Here's a video...while some may claim my photographs are good, I have never claimed to be good at taking videos. Actually I suck. LOL

eH8P-gHV-wY

And once again, somehow I ended up with a green video. My hand goes back and forth changing the settings all the time and sometimes I forget which setting to put it on and end up with the wrong one.

N1aNBpZTLX8

***edit*** well this is weird...I'm not sure what the videos look for you all but on my computer (the original) the video is crystal clear. But, when I watch it on here with the uploaded youtube, it's super blurry. What are you guys seeing?

My husband kept tugging at me and made me go up for yet another conversation. He said he was worried that we were spending too much time around the eel and it was going to piss him off and he was going to come after us and eat us alive! He wanted to go and get out of that area. Sigh. I must have taken about 20 pictures or more of it and about 10 videos. I wanted to make sure I got this picture!

So, move along we did and then the next big surprise came along...

P4020588%20copy-L.jpg

WOW, there was a huge group of blue surgeons everywhere. Sakari thought she could blend in and swim as one of them.

P4020591%20copy-L.jpg

Video

bJrVZ_UibHU

P4020593%20copy-L.jpg

It was amazing. They went on forever. I have only experienced this once and that was our scuba diving in Roatan 4+ months ago. It's definitely an amazing site to see!

P4020594%20copy-L.jpg

P4020598%20copy-L.jpg

Another video:

9Ye4FvfytLU

P4020605%20copy-L.jpg

P4020609%20copy-L.jpg

P4020612%20copy-L.jpg

Something crawling, inching along like a caterpillar, caught my eye...it was one of the fire devil worms from hell. We have learned our lesson about them years ago. It's not a cute little fuzzy caterpillar. It's the devil.

P4020616%20copy-L.jpg

Hey, one of those fish with teeth!

P4020621%20copy-L.jpg

P4020627%20copy-L.jpg

Another field of never ending blue surgeons.

P4020634%20copy-L.jpg

P4020638%20copy-L.jpg

P4020642%20copy-L.jpg

P4020644%20copy-L.jpg

Just look at them! Isn't it the most beautiful thing!

P4020646%20copy-L.jpg

P4020651%20copy-L.jpg

A school of yellow striped grunts

P4020653%20copy-L.jpg

P4020655%20copy-L.jpg

They were signaling us to come back to the boat and we started to head that way.

P4020657%20copy-L.jpg

According to my camera time stamp, we were snorkeling for about 40 minutes.

Ok, I'm going to stop for the night and I'll try to get more done tomorrow morning.

I hope you are enjoying the pictures.

Have a good night. :)

I read somewhere that there is a chemical in the sunscreen that are killing the coral reefs. Especially in high tourist areas like the place you went. I'm not sure if it's true, just something I read.

I read somewhere that there is a chemical in the sunscreen that are killing the coral reefs. Especially in high tourist areas like the place you went. I'm not sure if it's true, just something I read.

It's enough of a concern in Cozumel that they (technically) require the use of biodegradable sunscreen there, to preserve their reefs.

Really enjoying the photos and video now that I'm home, as they are blocked from my work. :)

I've often wondered why Royal doesn't sell a decent soda-cup holder, with straps to go over your shoulder. On their ships with Freestyle machines you pretty much HAVE to carry it with you.

Six Flags sells a really nice, stretchy neoprene drink-holder for their all-season soda cups that not only makes it easy to carry hand-free, but also helps insulate the cup. Their price is $5 or so, so Royal could (and would) probably charge $8 or $10. :D

Awesome pictures!!! I've snorkeled once and loved it. I'm pondering a "Discover SCUBA" excursion in Cozumel through Cozumel H20 in February (Western on the Celebrity EDGE!). Just waiting on booking details at the moment. :)

Wow absolutely beautiful pictures. Looks like an amazing experience. I am way too chicken to ever try such a thing so live through your eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Here's a video...while some may claim my photographs are good, I have never claimed to be good at taking videos. Actually I suck. LOL

And once again, somehow I ended up with a green video. My hand goes back and forth changing the settings all the time and sometimes I forget which setting to put it on and end up with the wrong one.

***edit*** well this is weird...I'm not sure what the videos look for you all but on my computer (the original) the video is crystal clear. But, when I watch it on here with the uploaded youtube, it's super blurry. What are you guys seeing?

Amazing pictures Kim... as usual... and although the dead coral field sure looks creepy, you were able to get some really interesting pics of it! :)

The eel green video looks kinda blurry, but the other one is crystal clear on my screen... btw, I totally agree with the hubby, and I would have slowly backed up from the eel before it got pissed off and decided to reclaim its privacy by any mean :')