MITSUGIRLY has a JEWEL of a time on my 1st RC cruise in years!

[\QUOTE]So while *some* people may feel that the point is to eat whenever, for others of us the point of MTD is to allow us to make a reservation at a time that works for us between the two fixed times.

This is exactly why we choose MTD, but make reservations for specific times. It may be for a different time each day. We can choose the time based on what else we have going on that day or what we plan on doing after dinner. It allows us flexibility without having to wait when we get to the dining room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read somewhere that there is a chemical in the sunscreen that are killing the coral reefs. Especially in high tourist areas like the place you went. I'm not sure if it's true, just something I read.

Four common sunscreen ingredients were shown to kill or bleach coral at extremely low concentrations (as low as one drop in 6.5 Olympic sized swimming pools).

• Oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3, BP-3) - Sunscreen ingredient that disrupts coral reproduction, causes coral bleaching, and damages coral DNA. Oxybenzone is found in over 3500 sunscreen products worldwide.
  • Butylparaben - Preservative ingredient shown to cause coral bleaching.
  • Octinoxate (Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate) - Sunscreen ingredient shown to cause coral bleaching.
  • 4-methylbenzylidene camphor (4MBC) - Sunscreen ingredient shown to cause coral bleaching. Allowed in Europe and Canada, not in USA or Japan.

We have had great success finding common (cheap) sunscreen like Banana Boat without these ingredients. It is hard to find spray without oxybenzone, though - I have only found one.

• Like 1

We did a snorkeling tour in Kona HI (2012) - we were told not to put sunscreen on until we were done as they said it kills the coral

In Bonaire (2016) we were encouraged to wear the sun shirts & head coverings (bald men) - the tour provided loaders

The pictures are great. The water is literally crystal clear. It's really creepy looking at a dead reef. I remember seeing something similar snorkeling Trunk Bay about ten or so years ago after it has been hit by a hurricane.

Isn't it creepy looking to see the reef like that? I wonder if this is from the hurricane?

Definitely enjoying. Thanks Kim.

Thank you.

I read somewhere that there is a chemical in the sunscreen that are killing the coral reefs. Especially in high tourist areas like the place you went. I'm not sure if it's true, just something I read.

Yea, the tour vendors all over the caribbean always tell you to use biodegradable sun screen to keep from harming the sealife.

It's enough of a concern in Cozumel that they (technically) require the use of biodegradable sunscreen there, to preserve their reefs.

Really enjoying the photos and video now that I'm home, as they are blocked from my work.

I've often wondered why Royal doesn't sell a decent soda-cup holder, with straps to go over your shoulder. On their ships with Freestyle machines you pretty much HAVE to carry it with you.

Six Flags sells a really nice, stretchy neoprene drink-holder for their all-season soda cups that not only makes it easy to carry hand-free, but also helps insulate the cup. Their price is $5 or so, so Royal could (and would) probably charge $8 or $10. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Thanks.

I tried to close the lid and put it in my purse I carry around the ship but I managed to spill it all over me and my purse. It was a sticky night.

Awesome pictures!!! I've snorkeled once and loved it. I'm pondering a "Discover SCUBA" excursion in Cozumel through Cozumel H20 in February (Western on the Celebrity EDGE!). Just waiting on booking details at the moment. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Thank you. I hope you enjoy your DSD in Cozumel if you book it. There's nothing better than being all the way down at the bottom and get up close to the coral.

Wow absolutely beautiful pictures. Looks like an amazing experience. I am way too chicken to ever try such a thing so live through your eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thanks and glad you are enjoying them.

Amazing pictures Kim... as usual... and although the dead coral field sure looks creepy, you were able to get some really interesting pics of it! clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

The eel green video looks kinda blurry, but the other one is crystal clear on my screen... btw, I totally agree with the hubby, and I would have slowly backed up from the eel before it got pissed off and decided to reclaim its privacy by any mean clear.png?emoji-tearsjoy-1678

I took a lot of pictures of the dead coral, but none really came out like I wanted it to. Although the pics show the dead coral, just the feeling when I turned the corner and almost EVERYTHING looked like that was super weird.

The green moray eel was just so super cool I didn't want to leave.

We just did a discover scuba through Alex Scuba in Cozumel last month. They were incredible. The teacher was very patient with my wife and young son, but still made sure we had an awesome time. My older son and I both did 2 dives, while my wife and son stopped after one.

My wife and I did a discover through RCI in St. Maarten last year, and she could not take it, she did not trust the operator, and the instructor was not near as good at explaining things. I still loved it, but Cozumel and Alex Scuba was so much better.

The instructor can make or break your experience for sure. I've had awesome ones and bad ones.

Hey Mitsu,

Just found your review this morning and am thoroughly enjoying all of your photos and video! I'm sorry that your hotel experience in San Juan was less-than-satisfactory, but it sounds as if you guys really enjoyed your time on Jewel clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Would you be able to post a photo of your stateroom whenever you get a chance?

Thanks ahead in advance and keep up the great work!

Yes, I'm going to post the room pics when I get done with this days activities. (fingers crossed I remember lol)

Love your review so far!!! We were on the jewel in October 2014 and it the best cruise we’ve ever been on. The islands we visited were awesome and the service on the ship was amazing. Can’t wait to read the rest.

Thanks and a lot more to come.

Sorry to hijack mitsugirly! (Though if you have thoughts on an operator out of Cozumel, I'm all ears. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742 )

No problem. I haven't had a chance to scuba in Cozumel yet. Maybe some day. I wish I could help.

This is exactly why we choose MTD, but make reservations for specific times. It may be for a different time each day. We can choose the time based on what else we have going on that day or what we plan on doing after dinner. It allows us flexibility without having to wait when we get to the dining room.

Oh that's right...if you are in the MDR that is assigned, you have to eat every night at the same night right? (I think maybe?) If that's the case, I completely understand now. (Sorry, I have never been on the ship with assigned seating before so really don't completely understand how it all works).

Four common sunscreen ingredients were shown to kill or bleach coral at extremely low concentrations (as low as one drop in 6.5 Olympic sized swimming pools).

• Oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3, BP-3) - Sunscreen ingredient that disrupts coral reproduction, causes coral bleaching, and damages coral DNA. Oxybenzone is found in over 3500 sunscreen products worldwide.
  • Butylparaben - Preservative ingredient shown to cause coral bleaching.
  • Octinoxate (Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate) - Sunscreen ingredient shown to cause coral bleaching.
  • 4-methylbenzylidene camphor (4MBC) - Sunscreen ingredient shown to cause coral bleaching. Allowed in Europe and Canada, not in USA or Japan.

We have had great success finding common (cheap) sunscreen like Banana Boat without these ingredients. It is hard to find spray without oxybenzone, though - I have only found one.

Thanks for sharing.

I bought all my eco friendly sunscreen on amazon. Don't recall the brands. But they have a good selection. Also putting on a rash guard shirt meas less area to cover

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I bought mine online too. I think it was called something to do with a cactus. Good for the water, good for sunscreen and good for mosquito's or something like that.

We did a snorkeling tour in Kona HI (2012) - we were told not to put sunscreen on until we were done as they said it kills the coral

In Bonaire (2016) we were encouraged to wear the sun shirts & head coverings (bald men) - the tour provided loaders

Yea, really no use putting anything on until after you are done. It's just going to come off...even the "sports" brands that claim not to.

SO TODAY IS SAKARI'S BIRTHDAY!!! She is officially 10 years old. Wow, where has the time went? She has scuba class on friday and I'm just waiting for them to ask me about her getting junior certified. :o :eek:

I'm going to work on some pictures for more of the review while I wait on the family to arrive for her party and then we are off to the bounce/trampoline house for the night.

I'll try to come back later tonight and finish this days reviews.

SO TODAY IS SAKARI'S BIRTHDAY!!! She is officially 10 years old. Wow, where has the time went? She has scuba class on friday and I'm just waiting for them to ask me about her getting junior certified. :o :eek:

I'm going to work on some pictures for more of the review while I wait on the family to arrive for her party and then we are off to the bounce/trampoline house for the night.

Oh my goodness. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAKARI sweetheart. Double digits already. <3 <3.

Have a wonderful day darling. Hope mammy, daddy and your brothers and sister spoil you today. :hearteyes:

Happy Birthday! Interestingly, reading this review, I sort of feel like I've watched her grow as I think I've read all of your reviews over the years. Cool!

Thank you. I hope you enjoy your DSD in Cozumel if you book it. There's nothing better than being all the way down at the bottom and get up close to the coral.

Oh that's right...if you are in the MDR that is assigned, you have to eat every night at the same night right? (I think maybe?) If that's the case, I completely understand now. (Sorry, I have never been on the ship with assigned seating before so really don't completely understand how it all works).

You're welcome! Thank you!! I need to get through my Greece cruise before I actually book. Hopefully I'll be in time then. :)

Yes. If you are in the MDR that is not My Time Dining, there are 2 seatings - early and late. You are assigned to one of those, and you'll be assigned to a table where you will be every night.

Happy Birthday! Interestingly, reading this review, I sort of feel like I've watched her grow as I think I've read all of your reviews over the years. Cool!
Ditto! Happy Birthday to Sakari!

Happy birthday Sakari!

Oh my goodness. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAKARI sweetheart. Double digits already. .

Have a wonderful day darling. Hope mammy, daddy and your brothers and sister spoil you today.

Thank you! She was definitely spoiled today and had a wonderful birthday.

I know right. She has grown so much (especially if you started back at my first novice review when she was 3 years old).

So all these pictures are from Day 2 in St. Croix? or did i miss a day somewhere?

Yes, St Croix was our first port day. We still have 4 more ports to go on this cruise. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Happy Birthday Sakari!!!!

Thank you

Happy Birthday Sakari!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Ditto! Happy Birthday to Sakari!

Thank you

Happy birthday Sakari!

Thanks!!

As a frequent visitor to St. Croix, I can tell you the reefs have been decimated by the hurricanes. It's a shame, but they are coming back slowly. Buck Island with Big Beard is always a fun trip!!!

So what we were seeing was all from the hurricane? That's so sad.

Happy Birthday, Sakari!

Kim, I have read every one of your reviews, and feel like I have watched Sakari grow up in front of my eyes. You are to be commended on raising such a talented young lady.

Aww, thanks so much for hanging in there with all of my lengthy reviews. Thank you for the kind comments. She is my little sunshine!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SAKARI THE MERMAID

We note entry #292 of the Blue Surgeons. Fourth picture down.

The Mermaid is standing and admiring the wonder of her Domain.

Thanks so much.

Haha...you are right about the picture. :hearteyes:

Happy Birthday to Sakari the mermaid.

Kim love you reviews.

Thanks so much!!

Happy birthday SAKARI !! Keep trying to find Nemo!! You are a super talented young lady!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks and she has her very own personal Nemo...except her name is Gizmo and his name is Bobo. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677 (Her pet Clown fish).

Happy Birthday Sakari! You are a special young lady and you have a whole bunch of fans here that have watched you grow over the years.

You have a wonderful talent with your artwork too.

Your mom did a great job!

I hope you had a great Birthday!

Aww, thanks so much! I appreciate it. She had a wonderful birthday!

Happy 10th Birthday Sakari! You are the Star of your Mom’s awesome reviews! [emoji146][emoji324][emoji322][emoji513]🧜

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks and yes she is the star. Some day she is going to grow up and read all of these. I'm not sure if she'll be proud or embarrassed. LOL And look at that cool mermaid emoji! I need one of those.

Happy Birthday to Sakari! Hope the birthday party was lots of fun.

Kim, as usual, your underwater photos were lovely, but those reef photos were downright spooky.

Heather

Thanks so much Heather. She had a blast...and so did the rest of the "big" kids.

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to do another great review! And tell Sakari

21ccex4.jpg

Awww, would you look at that! How awesome!!!

I just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone for the birthday wishes for Sakari and taking the time out of your day to say these nice things. I really appreciate it. She had an amazing time tonight with all of her brothers and sister and nieces and nephew and friends from school. I am going to show her all of these birthday wishes and let her read them tomorrow after school.

I will continue this review tomorrow morning. This momma is a little tired tonight after all the activities.