MITSUGIRLY has a JEWEL of a time on my 1st RC cruise in years!

LOYALTY DESK AREA:

This was a neat little area that had a bridge that you could walk over (looking down into the atrium area in floors below) and I'm honestly not sure what they did here. There was a guy at a desk there a lot and people talking to him.

The thing that was interesting about this area is the glass on the floor. You could see straight down into the atrium. The hubby stood on it once and I scolded him about not standing on it because others would try to do the same. It looked scary. Throughout the cruise, I would see a lot of people standing on it and didn't realize this is something you could actually do. Oops. Never the less, I did not stand on it and I guess I should have known it was safe otherwise they wouldn't have put it there right?

P4010306%20copy-L.jpg

P4010307%20copy-L.jpg

I was so fascinated by this glass hole in the floor that I completely forgot to take pictures of the "loyaltly" area. Oops

I do have to say that it's not level with the floor but raised up and you have to step up on it.

Thanks for your pictures of the lovely Jewel. I had forgotten how truly beautiful she really is! Prompts me to look at booking her again if she moves out of San Juan. I see your Hotel Director is Robert Taggert. Your on board experience should go smoothly, as Robert is one of the very best hotel directors!

VIDEO ARCADE:

The video arcade was located right outside the kids club area. I thought this was really weird. You HAD to walk through the arcade in order to drop off and pick up your child. It was VERY annoying to do this. It was very loud in there, people in there all the time, and hard to maneuver around everyone trying to play games.

P4010308%20copy-L.jpg

P4010309%20copy-L.jpg

ADVENTURE BEACH:

This is the kiddie water play area for kids 3-11 years old. There is a small water slide here and the only one on the ship. None for adults. :(

P4072175%20copy-L.jpg

Hours (notice on the last sea day it's not open as late on port days...weird).

P4072176%20copy-L.jpg

Parents were allowed to go down with their youngsters.

P4010357%20copy-L.jpg

P4010358%20copy-L.jpg

The cups for the soda package have a RFID chip in the bottom of them, that is read when you put it in the machine. Every time you use it, it says, you have access until XX date.

I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise, your pictures are great as usual.

VORTEX 13

NOW I find out what this place was. We stumbled upon it once, toward the end of the cruise, after walking up to see if the rock climbing wall was open. The doors were open and we walked in. I took some pictures and after we walked out noticed there was a bunch of rooms up there that you had to have a key to access the rooms: Diamond Club, Concierge Club and so on.

I figured we wasn't supposed to be in this area and we left and never returned.

However...now that I'm reading up on it...I wish I would have explored more because it says that it has a revolving bar and it's a nightclub and they have SILENT parties which involve everyone getting headphones with the music played in it and everyone singing and dancing and it's hilarious to watch. Darnit! I so would have went to this!!!

P4041577%20copy-L.jpg

P4041578%20copy-L.jpg

P4041580%20copy-L.jpg

P4041576%20copy-L.jpg

P4041575%20copy-L.jpg

P4041574%20copy-L.jpg

THE POP MACHINE!!! So, you purchase the soda package and they give you a plastic cup with a lid to use. You can either choose to use this cup and come to this drink station and refill on your own... instead of waiting in line at a bar for a cup.

They work exactly like they do at a fast food place (we have them here at Wendys).

I was told there's something in the cup that causes it to activate, but I swear I can't see or feel anything and I think they are just faking us out with this story.

P4041527%20copy-L.jpg

Several issues with these machines that I will cover in my review, from placement to availability to function.

If it's like the machines we have on the campus I work at, there is a small chip in the bottom of the cup that activates the machine. The part that reads the chip is the black circle under the dispenser. I know they work here on campus, no idea on the Royal ship though. If you buy a disposable cup on campus, it only give you one fill up vs unlimited refills if you have purchased their "mug."

I couldn't remember which line you were sailing, so I checked a few boards to find this review! Excited to read along as we are seriously considering a Royal cruise for next year. :)

Good grief on your hotel though. What a mess.

I also cannot believe Sakari is 10! :o

Ok, that concludes my ship tour...WHEW! Sorry if I missed any areas. By the last day of the cruise, I was still finding areas that I hadn't seen the entire cruise. I know there's other places (like the work out place, which always had tons of people in it so I didn't want to go around and snap pictures of them, and places like the spa) but hopefully this will give you an idea of most of what's located on the ship.

She's a beautiful ship and we really liked the layout of it! Super easy to navigate.

I must go get some laundry done and a shower accomplished. I also have some homework and need to prepare for my final exam this upcoming week.

I'll try to get more pictures ready and finish off my first day review.

Thanks for reading. :)

THE POP MACHINE!!! So, you purchase the soda package and they give you a plastic cup with a lid to use. You can either choose to use this cup and come to this drink station and refill on your own... instead of waiting in line at a bar for a cup.

They work exactly like they do at a fast food place (we have them here at Wendys).

I was told there's something in the cup that causes it to activate, but I swear I can't see or feel anything and I think they are just faking us out with this story.

P4041527%20copy-L.jpg

Several issues with these machines that I will cover in my review, from placement to availability to function.

On the bottom of the cup is something (not really a bar code), that activates the machine. It knows too, because I had brought along another cup I had for my grandson and I accidentally grabbed it and tried to use it on one of the few working machines on the Allure. FAIL! It rejected me, and I finally realized after a few tries, thinking, another broken machine, I had grabbed the wrong cup.

Following, always love your reviews!

Thank you

Love your review! I am also an NCL person and am curious about how Royal compares. Looking forward to more...

Thanks and it's very comparable.

Thanks for your pictures of the lovely Jewel. I had forgotten how truly beautiful she really is! Prompts me to look at booking her again if she moves out of San Juan. I see your Hotel Director is Robert Taggert. Your on board experience should go smoothly, as Robert is one of the very best hotel directors!

You are welcome. She is a beauty.

The cups for the soda package have a RFID chip in the bottom of them, that is read when you put it in the machine. Every time you use it, it says, you have access until XX date.

I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise, your pictures are great as usual.

That's what I had heard but it's just so light and no sign of it. lol

If it's like the machines we have on the campus I work at, there is a small chip in the bottom of the cup that activates the machine. The part that reads the chip is the black circle under the dispenser. I know they work here on campus, no idea on the Royal ship though. If you buy a disposable cup on campus, it only give you one fill up vs unlimited refills if you have purchased their "mug."

I couldn't remember which line you were sailing, so I checked a few boards to find this review! Excited to read along as we are seriously considering a Royal cruise for next year. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Good grief on your hotel though. What a mess.

I also cannot believe Sakari is 10! clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727

Definitely consider Royal. They were great. We will sail with them again...if the price is ever right.

Hey now, don't rush Sakari being 10 yet. She has 2 more days before turning 10!!! :')

On the bottom of the cup is something (not really a bar code), that activates the machine. It knows too, because I had brought along another cup I had for my grandson and I accidentally grabbed it and tried to use it on one of the few working machines on the Allure. FAIL! It rejected me, and I finally realized after a few tries, thinking, another broken machine, I had grabbed the wrong cup.

Yea I figured and had heard that.

Definitely consider Royal. They were great. We will sail with them again...if the price is ever right.

We really like NCL and HAL (I know, strange combo). I always avoided Royal because it tended to be more expensive. But we are doing our first RCL on the Jewel this winter, and it actually ranks as our cheapest cruise to date, beating out the next cheapest one by $12/pp/day. I was really surprised!

Jewel was my first Royal Caribbean cruise. Although i consider it my “worst” cruise ever, the ship itself was beautiful. I remember the Vortex and it was really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry you had a bad cruise but at least you liked the ship. I really wished that I would have known about this place (Vortex).

We really like NCL and HAL (I know, strange combo). I always avoided Royal because it tended to be more expensive. But we are doing our first RCL on the Jewel this winter, and it actually ranks as our cheapest cruise to date, beating out the next cheapest one by $12/pp/day. I was really surprised!

Yep, it was a super cheap cruise for us too and that's why I decided it was time to book it! :D

Your pictures are very good, thanks for sharing.

Wow, Sakari is growing up so fast but kind of neat that we all get to watch her grow up.

The Jewel is a beautiful ship I have only been on he newer bigger ships and the Majesty and to be honest I don't think I have ever seen the Jewel in any reviews that I have read. Very nice. I hope your trip was enjoyable.

Absolutely loved your review. My hubby and I are celebrating our 50th Wedding Anniversary on the Jewel; Med Cruise 21 Oct 2019 and I cannot wait. Your pictures are fabulous it looks like a really gorgeous ship. Thank you so much for a really informative review.

So on with Day 1 on the ship.

After getting on the ship, we just went around exploring and checking it out (and of course taking pictures).

Well hello there Puerto Rico.

P4010186%20copy-L.jpg

SaKari got a kick out of the SaFari club and said it was named after her...but just spelled wrong. For those that don't know how to pronounce her name...it's just like safari but with a "k" as in kari not fari. Sometimes when I yell for her I actually say "kari" instead of sakari.

P4010293%20copy-L.jpg

At 1:45pm, we headed to our room to put our things down. Hubby was carrying around the laptop in his book bag and I still had my shoulder bag I use for vacation loaded with all the "important" stuff.

I decided I would take the plunge and carry my pop cup with me to see how this this works. Now normally NCL gives you a cup with the soda package, but I never want to carry it around with me and leave it in the room. However, give me the chance to have unlimited pop and I can help myself...yep, I'm carrying it.

P4010322%20copy-L.jpg

Still exploring...this is the teen center across from the arcade.

P4010328%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari has been telling me a lot lately that she can't wait to get to this age to be in here. Idk, looks boring to me.

P4010329%20copy-L.jpg

After dropping our things off in the room, we decided we would head inside to see what they offered for lunch.

Now I'm just going to put this out here now...I knew going into this that it seems like there wasn't much option for food late in the evening and I had been warned by everyone already that the options are limited and I would probably starve to death. (We are very late eaters normally). I was also told the pizza was terrible and the premade sandwiches wouldn't be the greatest.

But...no one told me just how GOOD the food was on RC! Amazing! I didn't find much of anything that just wasn't GOOD! I AM VERY PLEASED with the selections and the taste! Absolutely amazing! I would venture to say better than NCL and Carnival...at least in the buffet so far!

Now...for the after hours food...we'll discuss that later.

So, here's lunch, which almost looks like dinner to me but everything just looked so good and it was!

P4010305%20copy-L.jpg

So a little history. From me doing reviews here on cc, I made the most wonderful friend! During one of my St Maarten reviews maybe 2 or so years ago, she messaged me with info because she had actually lived there for 7 years, but had moved back to the US. She told me if I was ever to cruise to St Maarten again and she was there on land vacation, she would show me the sites.

Well, we cruised together last Spring Break (even though we don't live in the same state, our children have the same spring break) and we had a wonderful time. She and her children are amazing and wonderful friends!

We knew last year that we would be cruising again at the same time, so we made plans to cruise together again. Yes, she had the Mexican Riviera booked too and we decided to do this cruise instead and rebooked.

Kia (Thrilled) on here and her beautiful children Xander and Michaela were going to be with us again. We desperately tried to book the same hotel she had pre-cruise, but it was already booked. So, it was a waiting game to find her on the ship...but it didn't take long! We met up on the pool deck and Sakari was so excited to see her that she went running up to her and threw her arms around her and hugged her so tight. Sakari had told me for months that she was more excited about this cruise than any other cruise and it was because Kia and her family were coming "with us".

We hung pretty much the rest of the day there, periodically checking for our luggage in our room...which didn't seem to be showing up.

Finally we decided to head to the kids club to sign Sakari up and check it out. They asked me if she would be allowed to have privileges to sign herself out. Big sigh...."no". I'm not ready for that...not yet. I let Sakari have a little more leeway this cruise than ever before. But I'm not willing to let her sign out on her own and come and go as she pleases.

P4112818%20copy-L.jpg

She wore it almost the entire cruise. I'm giving her a little more responsibility these days...she's about to be 10 and has been very responsible with her choices up until now (unless she is with someone that is influential, such as Brayden).

We headed back up to the pool deck to hang out until it was time for the safety drill, which was 6:30pm.

We checked in and before long it began.

P4010324%20copy-L.jpg

The kids club informed us they would be having a Easter Scavenger Hunt from 7-8pm and Sakari was excited to join. Well, the safety drill was not even over until 7pm and then the hoards of crowds made it impossible to move quickly to get all the way back up to the 11th floor to participate.

Once we made it, they handed the kids their "Easter Bag" to decorate. Anyone recognize these bags?

P4010325%20copy-L.jpg

Yep, they are barf bags. LOL

P4010327%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari was already missing her dog and started drawing a howling wolf on her bag. So much for a cute little bunny or Easter eggs. Right?

Kia showed up with Xander and he would have his first meltdown due to the markers he used was smearing on his paper. Many attempted tries of correcting it wasn't working. The poor little fella.

Eventually they handed us a list of places to go to find the goodies. Each had a rhyme to give you a hint where they may be located and off we went .

P4010330%20copy-L.jpg