highfields

For danube cruise, start in budapest or nuremberg????

HELLO...looking at a Viking or Avalon on the Danube and trying to decide which direction is best to cruise? REALLY wanted to do the Avalon 2 nights Prague and then depart from Nuremberg, but having trouble talking my husband into being away for that many days...So then decision would be if we do 1 pre-night, do it in Budapest or Nuremberg? I know a lot of people say it's really cool to sail into Budapest with the lights and such, but then am worrying if that's enough time to see the city and maybe doing the extra night there would give us another day in Budapest..Or Nuremberg would that area be fun to do the 1 pre-night? Sorry so lengthy, and thanks in advance for any advice!

We are sailing from Budapest to Nurnberg as I write this! Either direction is fine. We have done the trip both ways. Our current trip had a three day prestay in Budapest and a three day post trip in Munich. We have found it better to go with the river cruise line that include extentions as then all your transfers are included. There have been rail strikes and airline strikes in Europe this Spring making travel connections worrisome. You will need three days in Prague as there is much to see and do there.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

We are doing the reverse in may. Nuremberg to Budapest and I can not wait. We have a 2.5 days in Budapest and we wanted to take the train to Vienna and spend a couple of days in Vienna before we fly back home.

I've had past experience in booking train travel in Italy and Great Britain but for some reason I am having difficulty in figuring out how to make train reservations from Budapest to Vienna.

I wonder if anyone has taken the train from Budapest to Vienna and if we need to make reservations in advance. There are 4 of us and we would travel on a Thursday.

Thank you for your time in answering my question.

Zina

We are doing Nuremberg to Budapest based on the recommendation of the cruise director on our last Viking cruise.

If you are only looking at extending one night pre-cruise, I would recommend doing it in Budapest. There is so much to see there - and included tours only cover so much. There is so much to see that is walkable in Budapest.

You can easily find a hotel on your own, and there are only so many docking spaces in Budapest so you could either book close to the river and walk to your boat - or take a taxi for a reasonable amount of money. Nuremberg is not close to where the boats dock, so it would be a bit more challenging to get to the boat on your own.

If you book air with the cruise line - and want to use their transfers - then you may need to do the pre-cruise night with them. This isn't always the most cost effective way, but it never hurts to ask.

Avalon often used a host hotel prior to boarding, so you would only have to make it there to get your transfer to the boat.

If you decide to do the extra night in Budapest, and book your own air, I can recommend a private transfer service that we have used in the past (apparently booking a taxi at the airport can be a bit dicey...).

Fran

We are doing the reverse in may. Nuremberg to Budapest and I can not wait. We have a 2.5 days in Budapest and we wanted to take the train to Vienna and spend a couple of days in Vienna before we fly back home.

I've had past experience in booking train travel in Italy and Great Britain but for some reason I am having difficulty in figuring out how to make train reservations from Budapest to Vienna.

I wonder if anyone has taken the train from Budapest to Vienna and if we need to make reservations in advance. There are 4 of us and we would travel on a Thursday.

Thank you for your time in answering my question.

Zina

Probably too late for you but in case it helps anyone else.

In a nutshell, check prices on both the Hungarian website and the Austrian website. One may have it cheaper than the other. If you buy from the Hungarian website, you can't self-print, but you have to pick the ticket up from the station.

The Man in Seat 61 has more: https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/vienna-to-budapest-by-train.htm

I think the direction should depend on whether you like to extend at the front end or the back end of the trip. Our cruise began in Budapest.... we visited there for 3 days.... If we had ONLY done what was provided with the cruise, I think we would have missed a lot....

Posted (edited)

@wildcatginny, what did u do in the 3 days? Having trouble planning our pre-trip days.

Edited by planner123456
Typo

You have tons of choices in Budapest for "only" 3 days. It won't be enough to see everything.

We did that before our cruise in 2016 and by the end there was stuff left over. I did a trip review (link in signature) which shows exactly what we did, and what we missed.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

@wildcatginny, what did u do in the 3 days? Having trouble planning our pre-trip days.

We took 2 different walking tours.... one in Buda and one in Pest.... FABULOUS!