Recommendations On Budget Friendly Binoculars

globe9

14 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

After reading many reviews, I am going to get the one at Harbor Freight. Can't beat that price (particularly after 20% off coupon) with the quality reported on the reviews.

would you be so kind as to share a link - i would be interested to check them out.  thank you!

4 hours ago, GolfMommy17 said:

would you be so kind as to share a link - i would be interested to check them out.  thank you!

They only have one. You can find it on their website but you may still need to pick it up in store to use the coupon and save shipping.

https://m.harborfreight.com/10-x-50-wide-angle-binoculars-94527.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot provided

Edited by Tourist1292
  • Like 1

Very inexpensive, but you should be aware that 10X are fairly high magnification for use at sea. On the ship, you might be OK (if steady hand), but on smaller boat excursions, if any are planned, they could be blurred due to high magnification.

If you haven't used binoculars at sea, 7X or 8X is normally recommended. There is a good reason most ships I worked on supplied 7x50 binoculars.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

On the boat for whale watching in the excursion we booked, binoculars will be provided which should be 7x. A10x50 would work great on the cruise ship, particularly in the internal passage, and land tour. 

To clarify your statement, from my experience, 10X binoculars may work on a cruise ship, as it depends on how steady the hand is that is using them and where on the ship they are being used. The ship's speed also can have an impact. Have seen many people that can't hold 10x  steady enough.

In addition to vibration, angle of view is also a consideration. While not always the case, as design is also a factor, but in many cases a higher magnification has a smaller angle of view, making it harder to spot smaller objects such as wildlife. 

Personally, I use 12x50 without issue and have even tested 20x, but I have used binoculars at sea for 40 years, with 30+ years navigating the Inside Passages of the West Coast, including 2 seasons in Alaska.

(moved from the clothing thread), I bought these..

Wingspan Optics Spectator 8X32 Compact Binoculars

Gosky 8x42 Binoculars for Adults, Compact HD

both pair seem like they will fit the bill.

The wingspan spectator are smaller and lighter,  the Gosky do not seem to big or heavy, but they will not fit in a jacket without sticking out the top of the pocket.

The wingspan will fit in a big jacket pocket.

Both pair seem well made for what we paid for them.

As far as viewing, tried them in low light, and sun light.

Both were sharp, and clear, and could not tell any difference between the two.

Was looking at objects a mile plus away.

The phone adapter for the gosky, was ok.  It's not a quick change out, and you have to use your phone zoom to get a real close view. The view is not as close as using them without the phone.  It took pictures fine on my phone when mounted to the binoculars.

• Thanks 1

Just picked up two binoculars at Harbor Freight for $17.59 + tax for each. The quality is amazingly good particularly at that price. It comes with a very nice carrying case. I am going to order a couple tripod adapters from ebay for ~$3 each just in case we need them.

• Like 1

Last year, I purchased Bushnell PermaFocus 10X 50 for a great price of $46 from Walmart.com.  They worked great for whale watching and glazer caving.  One good thing about Walmart.com besides their excellent prices, you can take your purchases  back to your nearest store for a refund. 

50 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

Just picked up two binoculars at Harbor Freight for $17.59 + tax for each. The quality is amazingly good particularly at that price. It comes with a very nice carrying case. I am going to order a couple tripod adapters from ebay for ~$3 each just in case we need them.

That's an amazing deal for the 10x binos. They look good and get good reviews. I'm planning on taking a walking stick to use to steady a long camera lens when out and about in Denali. Their allowed on planes.

On 3/15/2019 at 2:03 PM, Tourist1292 said:

The binoculars at HF was recommended by other cruisers. It has pretty wide angle. If one has problem holding it steadily, it has a tripod mount on it according to the reviews.

i just purchased these harbor freight 10x50-  with the 20% off coupon they were $18.  i was hesitant to get 10x but at this price, even if they go overboard it will be worth it.  The image seems sharp but these are my first binoculars.  I do see a knob for a tripod but i don't understand how it would work - any insight appreciated.  I have a Monopod for my camera and thought that could help steady these.  thanks friends.

1 hour ago, GolfMommy17 said:

i just purchased these harbor freight 10x50-  with the 20% off coupon they were $18.  i was hesitant to get 10x but at this price, even if they go overboard it will be worth it.  The image seems sharp but these are my first binoculars.  I do see a knob for a tripod but i don't understand how it would work - any insight appreciated.  I have a Monopod for my camera and thought that could help steady these.  thanks friends.

First of all, I found the tripod mount cover to be very tight on both of my binoculars. Try using a rubber mat to help unscrewing the cover off. Second, you will need an adapter to mount it on a tripod or monopod. You can find those universal binocular tripod adapter for a few dollars. If you can wait, eBay would be a good source for them. Here are some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-AF10546-Binocular-Tripod-Adaptor/dp/B000BYH8EQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1XEH2457DI7ZJ&keywords=binoculars+tripod+adapter&qid=1552859319&s=gateway&sprefix=binoculars+tripod%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Ueasy-Binocular-Connecting-Telescope-Universal/dp/B01IF16XE2/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1XEH2457DI7ZJ&keywords=binoculars+tripod+adapter&qid=1552859319&s=gateway&sprefix=binoculars+tripod%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-7

They are around 50% cheaper on eBay from overseas but may take 6-8 weeks for delivery.

Edited by Tourist1292

13 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

First of all, I found the tripod mount cover to be very tight on both of my binoculars. Try using a rubber mat to help unscrewing the cover off. Second, you will need an adapter to mount it on a tripod or monopod. You can find those universal binocular tripod adapter for a few dollars. If you can wait, eBay would be a good source for them. Here are some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-AF10546-Binocular-Tripod-Adaptor/dp/B000BYH8EQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1XEH2457DI7ZJ&keywords=binoculars+tripod+adapter&qid=1552859319&s=gateway&sprefix=binoculars+tripod%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Ueasy-Binocular-Connecting-Telescope-Universal/dp/B01IF16XE2/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1XEH2457DI7ZJ&keywords=binoculars+tripod+adapter&qid=1552859319&s=gateway&sprefix=binoculars+tripod%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-7

They are around 50% cheaper on eBay from overseas but may take 6-8 weeks for delivery.

thank you for the info!  very helpful.

With the Alaskan Cruise season just around the corner, some binos to consider if anyone is looking at buying for an upcoming trip and/or a pair to have for general use at home and other trips away.

You dont need to spend a lot to get something decent these days that will last you for years, so do yourself a favour and try a few in the next bracket up from those cheap often bulky budget pairs that really are inferior once you try some for just a few $  more

Here are 3 to consider, and all i would go for the 8x42, this gives you the best (in my opinion) all round use.

1) Meade Rainforest Pro, Also the cheapest of the 3.

2) Vortex Diamondback, lifetime guarantee and built to last!!

3) Nikon Monarch 5, maybe the best known and best selling

I've never been disappointed with the Nikon line. I'm fairly sure the Monarch 5 have a lifetime warranty also. I own 3 pair: 7x35 Action, 10x70 Astroluxe, & an old pair of the 7x50 Marine w/ compass. All are over 20 years old, get really rough treatment, and have stood up under severe conditions. All still are optically perfect. I one time left the 7x35 pair laying on a log in central Texas while watching bats stream out of Bracken Cave. I thought they were lost and only went back several days later where they had laid in the rain. Except for the Astroluxe, these are $250 class glass, so not the most expensive or cheap but well proven in extreme, hard use. I would imagine that most binoculars will hold up nicely no matter the brand, especially if they say they are sealed and nitrogen filled. Those I would not consider taking on a small boat whale or glacier watch would be something not sealed or labelled as water proof. And another thing, at least personally, b4 I would consider sinking $1700 to $2600 on a pair of Swarovski 8x binos, I would spend half that on a pair of Canon Image stabilized. But that's just me. With the IS binos, you have to start considering the weight.

43 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

I guess we have a different definition for budget friendly.

I'll bet your right on that. My first pair was 10x50 Jason Empire bought in 1969 at Montgomery Wards for $69. Although I never saw a reply from the OP, I suspect that they got the answer they were looking for - $19 and up with some really good links to some low $$ binos. I think the thread has evolved a bit ;=] and a lot of good info here for future readers.

Edited by masterdrago

On 3/16/2019 at 7:23 PM, chewap said:

Last year, I purchased Bushnell PermaFocus 10X 50 for a great price of $46 from Walmart.com.  They worked great for whale watching and glazer caving.  One good thing about Walmart.com besides their excellent prices, you can take your purchases  back to your nearest store for a refund. 

Great price on the Bushnells, which will be my next purchase. Much better all round binocular than the 12x50 perma-focus I currently use.

The angle of view on the 10x50's is one of the best at almost 400' at 1000 yds.

I bought the Wingspan Spectator 8X32 binoculars and I'm quite happy with them.  They are well-built and compact so they take up little room in the luggage and they are waterproof and fog proof.  I'll be taking these on our upcoming Alaskan cruise.  Cost is less than $70 on Amazon.

One feature I like about the Wingspan is the eyecups can be adjusted for use with or without eyeglasses.

Edited by Oakman58

Your Lucky Day. send me an email with your address, and I will ship you binoculars that have been on a shelf for 10 years, they were a gift I used once.  michael.f.drennen@verizon.net My random act of kindness for today. 

Shaper Image 7x50 UV binoculars

26 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

Check your cabin amenities,  I cannot speak for all cruise lines, but HAL includes binoculars in many cabin categories.

The binoculars provided are usually very low quality. My cabins do provide that but everyone on the forum said they are useless.

SALE ALERT:  just bought on amazon - Wingspan optics spectator 8x32 for $37.  

FYI I also bought the Harbor Freight 10x50 for $18.  They are very bright and clear with a wide field of view.  they are also bigger and heavier than i would like.  keeping those for the kids travelling with us.

Edited by GolfMommy17
modified content