Taxi Drivers

Seavoyage

We were robbed by one in Mestre for a 3 mile run to the port in Venice. Hotel concierge said it would be €30 for the four of us which I thought excessive. When we arrived at the port the licensed bandit demanded €120 (thirty each). After a long argument and intervention from the local Carabinieri who sided with the driver we had to pay €90.

At least while we argued for 25 minutes he wasn't away ripping off more unsuspecting cruisers.

Always insist on a meter for shortish journeys, you live and learn.

We have used the taxi's for years in Ft Lauderdale and so far have never been ripped off.

We also watch to make certain in other cities that the taxi driver puts the meter on. One place that is different is Tampa. If you are staying in a hotel right in the cruise terminal area, there is a flat rate -- it is posted on the taxi's.

The trip to the cruise port seems to now be a flat rate of $25 including uber. Of course if you don't like it, the next person in lne behind you will take your place.

From the cruise terminal it was by the meter and much speedier.

I don't think we got ripped off but we had an extremely unfriendly taxi cab driver from FLL to Embassy Suites. When we entered the taxi I told him "Embassy Suites please. Do you know the address?" He sort of sneered a "NO!" at me and then drove to the Hotel. No other words were exchanged. The cab was filthy with ripped seats, windows that didn't work and a putrid air fresh that made me gag. The charge was somewhere around $15 for 2 which was better than shuttle.

The next morning the hotel told us that they had a shuttle or we could use yellow cab to get to port. We used the shuttle but noticed how neat clean and how happy the yellow cab drivers were. I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Also, make sure they are taking you in the correct direction. Last year the taxi driver was heading north out of the port towards Hotel row instead of east towards the airport. When I questioned him he said he thought we were going to the Embassy suites. He did restart the meter but if I had not questioned him I am sure he was just taking the looooonnnnngggg way to the airport.

The trip to the cruise port seems to now be a flat rate of $25 including uber. Of course if you don't like it, the next person in lne behind you will take your place.

From the cruise terminal it was by the meter and much speedier.

Is this from the airport? I've seen flat-rate fares from airports to downtown or a cruise port in other cities. I remember seeing a zone map in a cab in Miami or San Antonio, don't remember which is was. But posted flat fares keep the cabs honest.

We use Uber in FLL. Because the rate is established up front, they don't pull taxi games like going the long way to run up the meter.

Is this from the airport? I've seen flat-rate fares from airports to downtown or a cruise port in other cities. I remember seeing a zone map in a cab in Miami or San Antonio, don't remember which is was. But posted flat fares keep the cabs honest.

We use Uber in FLL. Because the rate is established up front, they don't pull taxi games like going the long way to run up the meter.

We always use Uber as well... but were surprised to have found that the upfront price can be altered if there is bad traffic or a delay of some sort. In FLL a couple months ago, we took Uber from the hotel to port and were surprised after checking the fare (later in the day) that it was over $10 more than the stated fare. I emailed Uber and checked online and was made aware that they can add $$ if it takes significantly longer than expected. I agree that there was a LOT of traffic and it took quite a bit longer than planned. Now we know!

The time we got snookered in FLL, we were at the restaurants along the canal. Hotel was about 5 miles away and was accessed to the canal without going on the interstate. He drove for about 15 minutes on the interstate. He was out of towners for sure and took advantage

We always come a day early and stay at a local hotel that offers shuttle service to the hotel. On disembarkation other than the one horrible HAL bus transfer we took once, we always get a cab. We use Luggage direct so are usually the first off after those walkoffs in FLL. Cab fare are always under $20. We don't do a lot of chitchat we tell them airport United Airlines. We make sure the meter starts. Sometimes they talk but usually nothing it said.

Crooks are everywhere, pays to be diligent.

We always use Uber as well... but were surprised to have found that the upfront price can be altered if there is bad traffic or a delay of some sort. In FLL a couple months ago, we took Uber from the hotel to port and were surprised after checking the fare (later in the day) that it was over $10 more than the stated fare. I emailed Uber and checked online and was made aware that they can add $$ if it takes significantly longer than expected. I agree that there was a LOT of traffic and it took quite a bit longer than planned. Now we know!

I believe they call it congestion fare. We've had a higher fare when there weren't many cars available (near home, not at FLL), and I wonder if they also have a "desperate for a car" fare.

But you know what it will be when you agree, so at least there aren't big surprises at the end.

We have used Uber and Lyft in multiple ports, including FLL without any issues. The price we were quoted in the app is what was charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It always is. But sometimes the quote is higher when demand for cars is higher or when traffic makes the ride take longer.

I believe they call it congestion fare. We've had a higher fare when there weren't many cars available (near home, not at FLL), and I wonder if they also have a "desperate for a car" fare.

But you know what it will be when you agree, so at least there aren't big surprises at the end.

That was my point... you don't always know. In FLL, our hotel was 4.97 mi from the port. The online quote was around $18 and we were charged $31. It took us 35 minutes to go about 5 miles.

It always is. But sometimes the quote is higher when demand for cars is higher or when traffic makes the ride take longer.

I am familiar with the Surge Pricing. It seemed like a previous poster had said their price increased after they were quoted an initial price and we have not experienced that. After re-reading the post, it appears they checked prices, but did not request a ride, then checked later and were surprised the price was higher due to surge pricing, but were not actually charged more than quoted after a ride was accepted.

I am familiar with the Surge Pricing. It seemed like a previous poster had said their price increased after they were quoted an initial price and we have not experienced that. After re-reading the post, it appears they checked prices, but did not request a ride, then checked later and were surprised the price was higher due to surge pricing, but were not actually charged more than quoted after a ride was accepted.

Ah, Surge Pricing. Thank you, I had forgotten what they call it.

Last week from port to FLL using LYFT my fair was$11.05

Pick up was at 8:45. Drop off at airport at 9:03.

The highest fair I every had from Port to airport (FLL) was $14.00

Love Lyft there app is easy to use. In fact I feel that there app is better then Uber.

Last week from port to FLL using LYFT my fair was$11.05

Pick up was at 8:45. Drop off at airport at 9:03.

The highest fair I every had from Port to airport (FLL) was $14.00

Love Lyft there app is easy to use. In fact I feel that there app is better then Uber.

Uber drivers at FLL will "cherry pick" their rides. They call and ask you where you are going.

If it's not a long enough ride for them, they cancel. Lyft drivers will take any ride.

Uber drivers at FLL will "cherry pick" their rides. They call and ask you where you are going.

If it's not a long enough ride for them, they cancel. Lyft drivers will take any ride.

Why do they call? They should know where you're going. You have to put in a destination address when you request a car.

Drivers don't know where you are going until you step into the car.

Huh? You have to turn location services on and plug in the address you're going to before the drivers pop up. You both have the opportunity to choose and accept.

Huh? You have to turn location services on and plug in the address you're going to before the drivers pop up. You both have the opportunity to choose and accept.

Uber does not display your destination to the driver until he/she makes the pick up.

https://maximumridesharingprofits.com/cant-uber-drivers-see-passengers-destination-accepting-trip/