What is the immediate area around the Roatan cruise port like?

chenj78

Hello all . . . we are on the July 29 RCI Liberty of the Seas sailing, which will stop in Roatan. Can any describe what the immediate cruise port area is like? Is the town within walking distance? Anything to do in the immediate area? Close to a beach or transportation to a beach readily available? I have no problem booking a shore excursion, but there isn't anything great for my group like the other ports of call. I don't want to book a shore excursion just to book a shore excursion. Much thanks in advance for your feedback!

(I will also post this question on the RCI board)

Assuming the LOS can dock in Roatan (dock was severely damaged by another ship recently), you'll be in Coxen Hole. At the port there's a shopping area. But the town itself doesn't have a lot of "action" for cruisers. Taxi's are readily available however. If you want a beach, just have them drive you to West Bay.

Look up Beachers, or Bananarama, or Paradise on this board or the "net". They have day packages that include transportation which could lower costs and guarantee you a ride to return to the ship.

If looking at shore excursions via ship look for Maya Key. It's a small islet off the harbor there. Only available via cruise line.

Another option is to book an island tour with Victor Bodden or Rony Tours. Good way to see a bit of the island and do a lot of things. Both have websites and there's a lot of information on threads on this board.

We did a custom tour with Rony and outlined all of our stops here. https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/. They worked with us to understand what we wanted to do and built the agenda; but also listened on the ‘day of’ if we wanted to move things around a bit (like more time at beach). Let me know if you have any questions- we had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...

We aren't going till next January, but we were just doing some planning regarding what we might do in each port on our trip. For Roaton we ended up booking a private tour with: http://www.roatantripsandtours.com/ (pretty inexpensive) and are just planning to do photo op stops, visit a local school, visit a local church, and visit a local orphanage, etc. Their site had mentioned these options as well as popular tourist activity add ons.

We found out about this place on trip advisor. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303872-d3632885-Reviews-Roatan_Trips_Tour-Coxen_Hole_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html