Second Thoughts About Flying?

jhannah

But it appears from you previous statement that you stopped flying 8 years ago, so this information seems somewhat misleading.

No,I last was on a plane in 2010 .I am living in my current residence since 2003 .I have been on planes between 2003 and 2010 .

But it appears from you previous statement that you stopped flying 8 years ago, so this information seems somewhat misleading.

No,I last was on a plane in 2010 .I am living in my current residence since 2003 .I have been on planes between 2003 and 2010 .

Why sad ?

I just think it's unfortunate when folks are unable or unwilling to take full advantage of being able to experience all that our world has to offer through travel.

When you say that 'you have not flown in 8 years and have not driven a car in 15 years', to me that takes away certain opportunities to travel and see the world... that's all.

I just think it's unfortunate when folks are unable or unwilling to take full advantage of being able to experience all that our world has to offer through travel.

When you say that 'you have not flown in 8 years and have not driven a car in 15 years', to me that takes away certain opportunities to travel and see the world... that's all.

I have experienced a lot of things in life that most people have not .Just to name one :

I was the recipient of a humanitarian award presented to me at the United Nations.

My husband and I moved to the country and few years ago to experience a slower pace and fresher air and lots of land. Our children and grandchildren still live in that large city. A safe city. A clean city. A multi-cultural city. A welcoming city. Very little crime. One of the top cities in the world. This city is Toronto. I'm sure by now everyone is aware of the tragedy that unfolded in Toronto on Monday. Ten people killed and fifteen people with serious injuries. An event that you think can only happen in Europe, or the U.S., never in Canada. And then it does happen and you realise that no place on earth can be totally safe.

We love to cruise in Europe and friends have asked us in the past if we're at all nervous walking around cities like Amsterdam, Brussels, London, Barcelona, Rome and on and on. Now, people will ask if we're nervous walking around Toronto with our family. We will say emphatically 'No!" We will not let the actions of a few dictate how we'll live and love our lives. Tragedy can happen in your own backyard, in your local grocery store or walking to Starbucks. Flying, it seems, is safer than walking to the park with your dog. Don't stop living the life you've been blessed with!

My husband and I moved to the country and few years ago to experience a slower pace and fresher air and lots of land. Our children and grandchildren still live in that large city. A safe city. A clean city. A multi-cultural city. A welcoming city. Very little crime. One of the top cities in the world. This city is Toronto. I'm sure by now everyone is aware of the tragedy that unfolded in Toronto on Monday. Ten people killed and fifteen people with serious injuries. An event that you think can only happen in Europe, or the U.S., never in Canada. And then it does happen and you realise that no place on earth can be totally safe.

We love to cruise in Europe and friends have asked us in the past if we're at all nervous walking around cities like Amsterdam, Brussels, London, Barcelona, Rome and on and on. Now, people will ask if we're nervous walking around Toronto with our family. We will say emphatically 'No!" We will not let the actions of a few dictate how we'll live and love our lives. Tragedy can happen in your own backyard, in your local grocery store or walking to Starbucks. Flying, it seems, is safer than walking to the park with your dog. Don't stop living the life you've been blessed with!

Agree. Well said. People were nervous when we took an extended cruise to Europe this past fall. While we were there, there was violence here in the US. Each day is a blessing. I'll take the blessings while I can.

Agree. Well said. People were nervous when we took an extended cruise to Europe this past fall. While we were there, there was violence here in the US. Each day is a blessing. I'll take the blessings while I can.
Every place you travel to is somebody's backyard, where they feel the safest. Until it's not.

Flying is not and never has been an enjoyable experience in my opinion. However, I live in New England and am going on an Alaskan cruise in June. Most winters we spend time in Cancun. Flying is one of the things we don't like in order to get to where we want to be.

Flying back in the 60's and 70's with DC-8's, B-727's, and B-707's was a pleasure. Passengers would actually dress up to fly, and they actually took a shower before coming to the airport. No bare feet, no pants down to the "plumber's crack", no smelly tee-shirts or hoodies. Meals were delicious, in both coach and first. No security lines, luggage was checked for free, you could visit the cockpit during the flight and get a quick tour, and seats were comfortable with decent spacing between rows, giving good legroom, even in coach. No change fees, tickets were refundable, and transferable. Today...... it's like taking the city bus, but for many hours. Things change, but not always for the best.

Flying back in the 60's and 70's with DC-8's, B-727's, and B-707's was a pleasure. Passengers would actually dress up to fly, and they actually took a shower before coming to the airport. No bare feet, no pants down to the "plumber's crack", no smelly tee-shirts or hoodies. Meals were delicious, in both coach and first. No security lines, luggage was checked for free, you could visit the cockpit during the flight and get a quick tour, and seats were comfortable with decent spacing between rows, giving good legroom, even in coach. No change fees, tickets were refundable, and transferable. Today...... it's like taking the city bus, but for many hours. Things change, but not always for the best.

Only one quibble. Meals were hi-quality and visually appealing, but not "delicious":

No one's taster works all that well in the very dry and 8000' pressure-altitude air

inside the cabin.

PS: That "very dry" part is why it is better to not drink coffee aloft and dry yourself

out even more.

Of course, many of the people flying today are headed for HAL cruises - which have also changed.

Flying is not and never has been an enjoyable experience in my opinion. However, I live in New England and am going on an Alaskan cruise in June. Most winters we spend time in Cancun. Flying is one of the things we don't like in order to get to where we want to be.

Flying is one of the things we don't like in order to get go where we wangt to be.

That statement applies to most of us. It is a necessary evil we have to endure if we wish to travel far and wide but many of us dread the 'flights'. I do.

When I rtaveled with my DH I tolerated it. Now that he has passed, I don't want t o be that many places so badly to put up with abusive air travel alone. I am very grateful we did so much long distance, fas inating travel when we did and did not wait t f or DH to retire. He did not live to retire.

Flying is one of the things we don't like in order to get go where we wangt to be.
That statement applies to most of us. It is a necessary evil we have to endure if we wish to travel far and wide but many of us dread the 'flights'. I do. When Itrtaveled with my DH I tolerated it. Now that he has passed, I don't want t o be that many places so badly to put up with abusive air travel alone. I am very grateful we did so much long distance, fasc inating travel when we did and did not wait or DH to retire. He did not live to retire.

Flying is not and never has been an enjoyable experience in my opinion. However, I live in New England and am going on an Alaskan cruise in June. Most winters we spend time in Cancun
jonyboy : . Flying is one of the things we don't like in order to get to where we want to be.
Flying is one of the things we don't like in order to get go where we wan t to be.

That statement applies to most of us. It is a necessary evil we have to endure if we wish to travel far and wide but many of us dread the 'flights'. I do. When I taveled with my DH I tolerated it. Now that he has passed, I don't want t o be that many places so badly to put up with abusive air travel alone. I am very grateful we did so much long distance, fasc inating travel when we did and did not wait f or DH to retire. He did not live to retire.

That statement applies to most of us. It is a necessary evil we have to endure if we wish to travel far and wide but many of us dread the 'flights'. I do.

When I rtaveled with my DH I tolerated it. Now that he has passed, I don't want t o be that many places so badly to put up with abusive air travel alone. I am very grateful we did so much long distance, fas inating travel when we did and did not wait t f or DH to retire. He did not live to retire.

Flying, itself, doesn't bother me much. My 23-hour, CA-NY, space-available sojourn

on an old, tail-dragging, canvas-seat DC-4 pretty much makes even bare-bones

current flights seem luxurious. :o

It's the airport bit.