Sea sickness, how worried should I be?

I’ve only ever cruised one time before and it was on a much smaller ship from Carnival. I was horribly sick for the entire first day. We had very rough seas and many were very sick. Like line around the corner and down the hall for the Dr on board.

I’m booked on Adventure OTS for June 15th. I booked only 6th months out and the agent wasn’t able to book a midship set of rooms for us so instead we are at the front of the ship on Deck 7. Everything I read gives conflicting reports about the best place to be if you can’t be mid ship.

So how concerned should I be? I’ve talked to my Dr and he is ready with an rx but keeps warning me about being sleepy. We saved for too long for this trip for our family to (a) be miserably sick, or (b) sleep it away.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

You can always try to call back and see if any mid ships became available.

Bonine, not sure if I spelled that correctly, is supposed to be non drowsy. You should actually start taking motion sickness meds, I have heard, starting the night before you travel.

My aunt used motion ease essential oil for her sea sickness and said it worked wonders and no side effects (it can be purchased over the counter? You just run a little behind each ear.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

The prescription parches made both of us very sleepy. We now use Bonine, ginger gum and sea bands. Bonine doesn’t make me sleepy but sometimes it does make my husband sleepy. You could try just the ginger gum and the sea bands. Sea bands work great for me. Hope this helps.

I love Adventure OTS. A beautiful ship. But I get horribly sea sick and dizzy on the water, the patches have worked for me 100% and no side effects. I carry sea bands for my husband, they work but I’m afraid to trust them. On a very port intensive trip I’ve used Bonnine and found i had to take it at nite and i was not tired during the day.

But never could I stay in a forward cabin. Mid or aft only. Even patched sometimes I can’t handle the Theaters which are usually in the front. Dizzy for sure.

the more you sail, the less the seas affect you. That said, Bonine is very good. I prefer that to the patches. The patches work though, we used them last month deep sea fishing, on the upside it was a lovely day for a boat ride.

JC

Sounds like Bonine needs to be on my list ASAP. And sea bands, and ginger gum! I think I’ll still try and make more calls in case cancellations pop up that would allow us to move more mid ship.

For everyone considering purchasing Bonine, try the generic drug meclizine. It is the generic form of Bonine, but MUCH cheaper. We buy it at WalMart in a 100 tab bottle, for around $10.00.

Hi all, I love those Sea bands- they are like bracelets you wear on your arm. Available at most drug stores , elastic type , I wore them on all previous cruises and during pregnancy too. Highly recommend these u have no side effects and will enjoy your cruise. I think u can find them online too , check google [emoji177]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like Bonine needs to be on my list ASAP. And sea bands, and ginger gum! I think I’ll still try and make more calls in case cancellations pop up that would allow us to move more mid ship.

Yep, keep watching the sites - the RCL UK site is good at actually showing what cabin numbers are available.

If my math is right, you are about 60 days out now. Being past final payment, there will be fewer cancellations, but you are right around the time where empty cabins from group bookings from TAs will be released back to RCL. Then a combination of things happen:

Customers will try to grab upgrades at a decent price.

After a bit, Royal will select a happy few to upgrade them automatically (move cheaper cabins into more expensive cabins so there would now be cheaper cabins that they can sell again).

And during all this shuffling, there are others like yourself who just want to move to a new location.

It all depends on luck really. I was watching our upcoming cruise and one day the ship was nearly sold out, and then the next day there were 30 interior cabins available. Again purely luck but it is possible.

Meclizine hydrochloride is the generic name name of the "non-drowsy" (or "less-drowsy") anti-nausea drug. It has been my family's go-to since we started cruising. The kids also use it before going to amusement parks. :) Bonine and Dramamine are both different brands of the same medication, but you can get less expensive versions by buying a store brand from Walgreens, Walmart, Target, etc. Just be sure you get the "non-drowsy" formula (meclizine) because the original formula for both is a different medication (dimenhydrinate) and is known to make people really sleepy.

Seriously - Motion Ease - You can get it at a boating store. It's an oil that goes behind the ears, on the boney part. Motion Sickness begins in the inner ear. I've had a hard time recently getting Motion Ease at a drup store. I finally found it at a boating store.

That and Bonine (or generic) gets me through the first day of a cruise every time.

AND, you can use the motion ease as much as you need

I get motion sickness pretty easily.

I wear the patch when I cruise. It works for me and I think because I am weearing it I am less likely to miss a dosage like I might with pills.

I do take precautions though, limit alcohol for example.

Skinny is, I have not gotten sick. I have had some miserable days, but they are far and few between.

Get the Dr's script.... Scopolamine.... be sure to cut it in HALF before applying..... my Dr told me to do that... (I actually now cut it into quarters)...I have never ever been "sleepy" using it. The first day ... you will notice your eyes are a bit blurry, but only for a few hours...then you don't even know it's there. It says to reapply after three days, but I don't usually bother.... it works great.

I’ve only ever cruised one time before and it was on a much smaller ship from Carnival. I was horribly sick for the entire first day. We had very rough seas and many were very sick. Like line around the corner and down the hall for the Dr on board.

I’m booked on Adventure OTS for June 15th. I booked only 6th months out and the agent wasn’t able to book a midship set of rooms for us so instead we are at the front of the ship on Deck 7. Everything I read gives conflicting reports about the best place to be if you can’t be mid ship.

So how concerned should I be? I’ve talked to my Dr and he is ready with an rx but keeps warning me about being sleepy. We saved for too long for this trip for our family to (a) be miserably sick, or (b) sleep it away.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

While everyone is affected differently all I can say is we are going on our 20th cruise and I have never had seasickness. That being said we always cruise when the weather is calm (April/May) but you mentioned you are sailing in June so unless a storm whips up it should be pretty calm. I CANNOT go on smaller vessels, like ferry boats, sightseeing boats and the like, however, as I get sick as a dog...so I just don't do it LOL

Prescriptions do mostly make you drowsy, there is a non-drowsy Bonine I think it is but you need to take it before you board and keep taking it (not certain as I have never had to bother) there are also accupressure bands for your wrist you can buy at Walgreens, CVS and such, in the same area as these motion sickness pills, which may be a good try as well, at least you won't be drowsy.

Try and not think about it, that can stress your system and get you nauseated too LOL Good luck, that first time could have been a fluke as it takes a lot to move these big beautiful ships!:D

Bonine and Dramamine are both different brands of the same medication, but you can get less expensive versions by buying a store brand from Walgreens, Walmart, Target, etc. Just be sure you get the "non-drowsy" formula (meclizine) because the original formula for both is a different medication (dimenhydrinate) and is known to make people really sleepy.

No, they are not the same medication.

Bonine is meclizine hydrochloride. Dramamine is a combination of diphenhydramine and 8-chlorotheophylline.

No, they are not the same medication.

Bonine is meclizine hydrochloride. Dramamine is a combination of diphenhydramine and 8-chlorotheophylline.

Non-drowsy Dramamine is indeed meclizine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While everyone is affected differently all I can say is we are going on our 20th cruise and I have never had seasickness. That being said we always cruise when the weather is calm (April/May) but you mentioned you are sailing in June so unless a storm whips up it should be pretty calm. I CANNOT go on smaller vessels, like ferry boats, sightseeing boats and the like, however, as I get sick as a dog...so I just don't do it LOL

Prescriptions do mostly make you drowsy, there is a non-drowsy Bonine I think it is but you need to take it before you board and keep taking it (not certain as I have never had to bother) there are also accupressure bands for your wrist you can buy at Walgreens, CVS and such, in the same area as these motion sickness pills, which may be a good try as well, at least you won't be drowsy.

Try and not think about it, that can stress your system and get you nauseated too LOL Good luck, that first time could have been a fluke as it takes a lot to move these big beautiful ships!:D

Thank you all for great advice.

The “do not think no about it” is probably the best advice. I think I’m getting myself all worked up and it could be just fine! Thank you!

I have used prescription phenegren and zofran. Zofran is supposed to be less drowsy of the two. You can also try to take half a pill. They dont like knock me out cold but I do feel sleepy. If you are sick, they are going to be your best bet. You wouldn't want to take them for prevention though. I always travel with my prescription.

Thank you all for great advice.

The “do not think no about it” is probably the best advice. I think I’m getting myself all worked up and it could be just fine! Thank you!

Great idea. Get the drink package and stay on the top deck with an adult beverage in your hand and the breeze in your face. It’ll be a great cruise.

Everyone reacts differently to ship motion. There are some who never feel anything and others, like myself, feel every little movement. I get motion sickness very easily. I have tried most everything out there and find that the scopolamine patches work like a charm. I do get a little dry mouth and my nearsighted vision does get a bit blurry but I will take those over motion sickness any day.