What's your favorite and least favorite Royal Caribbean Ships? (List 3 or less in e

A lot of people are listing Anthem as a least favorite. I know when she was new a lot of people gave negative reviews because the technology wasn’t working quite right and people hated Dynamic Dining.

Are those of you who don’t like her, people who sailed on her during those times, or have you sailed on her since all that has been fixed and still didn’t like it?

From the video someone posted above it seems like a really nice ship with a ton of public space and things to do. What’s not to like, other than maybe being too big??? I’m just curious, because I like to know people’s reasons for liking/disliking so I have a reference point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A lot of people are listing Anthem as a least favorite. I know when she was new a lot of people gave negative reviews because the technology wasn’t working quite right and people hated Dynamic Dining.

Are those of you who don’t like her, people who sailed on her during those times, or have you sailed on her since all that has been fixed and still didn’t like it?

From the video someone posted above it seems like a really nice ship with a ton of public space and things to do. What’s not to like, other than maybe being too big??? I’m just curious, because I like to know people’s reasons for liking/disliking so I have a reference point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have sailed Anthem 3 times, once with Dynamic Dining and the other times after they changed to traditional/MTD. We actually liked Dynamic Dining, but we are not traditionalists. We now do MTD and find it is fine, though the dining rooms are undersized, so there can be a wait at times.

The ship is beautiful and has really grown on us. We have learned to avoid the Esplanade area when there is any sale going on as it is very narrow compared to the Royal Promenade on Oasis class. We now make sure we book a cabin closer to the aft elevator bank and that works well for us. The entertainment on the ship is wonderful. We aren't fans of The Gift, but we like Spectra's Cabaret and We Will Rock You and have seen them 3 times now. We love all the different music available every night in the Schooner Bar, the Via, the Pub, Music Hall and 270. The musicians and singers from the shows do acoustic guitar sessions or brass or sing with a pianist.

The ship is just different and people who like the traditional ship design just don't like this class of ship.

You really have to try for yourself and decide,

My Favorites:

Empress of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas

Least Favorite:

Anthem of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas (Before she retired)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Forums mobile app

Should be an interesting topic I haven't read in awhile. Now that I am in single digits I'm spending too much time here.

Commenting on yours.

I booked Empress, then Royal changed it to Majesty. Majesty used to be my least favorite, but I learned to enjoy her in her most recent roll.

I have yet to try the Quantum class.

I'm looking forward to trying the Mariner as I've loved all 3 cruises I've done on that class.

For me, I think my favorite is Freedom. I do love both the Freedom and Oasis class, but if I'm going to see new places I like the Freedom itineraries with fewer Sea days. If we are going on an intinerary I have already done, I don't mind the extra sea day on the Oasis class. Its not really a good guideline, but I have had better meals on Freedom than the Oasis class and I think the Freedom class WJ has more room per passenger.

Going on Enchantment this fall for the first time. It doesn't show up on anyone's favorite or least favorite, I'll just go have a good time.

We've sailed on her a couple of times, she is unique as she's been stretched, she has a lovely deck area and we've always found the crew to be great and friendly.

We've sailed on her a couple of times, she is unique as she's been stretched, she has a lovely deck area and we've always found the crew to be great and friendly.

Great, I will manage to have a good time, hoping for a quieter hurricane season.

Favorites:

Allure

Freedom

Independence

Least Favorite:

Enchantment

First cruise was on Majesty and was what got us hooked on cruising. Having sailed the bigger ships, I suspect I wouldn't like it very much now, but I have fond memories, so we'll leave it that way. The big ships are the ones for us because we like the expanded dining options and more things to keep the kids occupied.

My wife and I have only done Carnival, we will be doing our first Royal cruise on the Anthem next year. You both are on opposite sides, could you tell me why you made this choice on the Anthem?

I am sure I will get criticized because there are some people who really love Anthem and that is fine to each their own. I didn't like how overcrowded Anthem was. I don't necessarily oppose bigger ships having been on Explorer and Mariner which are still pretty big ships even with today's mega ships. Explorer and Mariner never felt crowded or claustrophobic, Anthem did. I also wasn't a fan of the ship's layout it was almost like they forgot about the Ocean when they designed her and though she is built for colder climates, she was still too enclosed for me with lack of oceanviews.

Most ships have a bunch of observation decks, not Anthem. Anthem mainly had the crowded pool deck to view the ocean, a small deck off the Windjammer (Which was also crowded), and barely an outer promenade that had dead ends where most ships it wraps around the whole ship.

Even after booking activities months before the cruise we still waited in line for everything! It felt more like an amusement park/shopping mall at sea instead of a cruise ship which call me old school, but that is not why I cruise. I cruise to sit back relax and enjoy the ocean air. Everything was mainly inside, the Esplanade looked a lot like a shopping mall to me and was crowded most of the time.

That being said do I regret booking Anthem? Absolutely not, the worst cruise is no cruise at all! However would I ever book a Quantum class ship again? Absolutely not, I like the other Royal Caribbean ships better and I will probably not book anything larger than a Freedom Class in the future. (Though I suspect the Oasis Class might spread the crowd out enough)

Now that I got the negatives out of the way, here are the highlights of Anthem that were positive, like I said it wasn't like I had a terrible time I was still on a Cruise Vacation instead of sitting at home in the cold! She is just my least favorite ship in the fleet that is all....

Positive Stuff:

Great Cabin, probably the biggest nicest cabin I have ever had on a cruise ship so if a cabin is important to you then you will like Anthem. (I don't care much about cabins cause I just mainly sleep there)

270 Lounge and Cafe 270 was cool, this was one spot you could get away from the crowd.

Overall the ship is beautiful full of nice decor and elegant artwork.

Solarium was very nice.

Shows and Entertainment very high quality. (Cabaret and We Will Rock You show was great, The Gift was ok but still worth seeing, comedians and music was good also)

Food was excellent once you got into the dining room.

Waiter, Assistant Waiter, and Cabin Attendant were great.

Negative Stuff:

Ship design doesn't really let you appreciate the Sea.

Too many people, even though she is a large ship they stuffed way too many people on this class and didn't spread them out enough.

Crew seemed stressed and service level was inferior to other Royal Caribbean ships probably because they had to handle way too many passengers.... (With exception to the waiter, asst waiter and cabin attendant)

Even after making reservations in advance waited in line for everything forget about doing anything in the Seaplex it was jammed all the time, pools were also too crowded.

For a new ship believe it or not lots of stuff was broken like the xBoxes my niece and nephew wanted to play, drink machines and etc...

My Time Dining is a big Cluster F. Anthem for some reason, where it hasn't been on other RCL cruises I have been on.

That was just my opinion you very may well love Anthem it really comes down to the type of cruiser you are. I will say though since you have traveled on Carnival in the past Anthem is very different from the rest of the RCL ships, so don't judge the whole line on this one ship. I to have sailed with Carnival and I like both lines, majority have been RCL just because of the loyalty points, and I always thought their ships were slightly more elegant than Carnival, but both lines are pretty comparable to each other..

Best advice I can give is book everything you want to do on the website well in advance, you will still wait for stuff but won't wait nearly as long as the people who book on the ship. Also if you are going to dine in the main dining rooms just pick an early or late seating instead of the My Time Dining option, it may not be as flexible but you will get into the dining room faster. If you can afford a Balcony Cabin, spring for the balcony as I said the ship itself lacks a lot of views best just to get that view from your cabin and to get away from the crowds.

Good luck enjoy your cruise!

Past Cruises:

Carnival Ecstacy

Sovereign of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas

Carnival Victory

Explorer of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas

Empress of the Seas

Empress of the Seas

Anthem of the seas

Future Cruise Booked:

Empress of the Seas again! Love Key West this ship goes there a lot....

Favorite - Brilliance and Explorer

Least favorite - Oasis

Curious what didn't you like about Oasis? I wasn't a fan of Anthem cause I thought it was too crowded was Oasis also too crowded? I know its huge and bigger than Anthem, but figured maybe they spread everyone out enough on this ship...

Favorites:

Freedom

Jewel

Voyager

Least Favorite:

Majesty

Anthem

Looks like you agree on Anthem, what didn't you like about her? Also how was Freedom? I would probably book a Freedom class, but probably no bigger than that....

Favorite: My favorite ship is a blast from the past — the Nordic Prince and this is followed by the Jewel and Anthem

Least: Explorer

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow Nordic Prince! That had to been cool... Wasn't that when Royal only had roughly 3 ships in the whole fleet?

Just to clarify, "Least Favorite" doesn't necessarily mean you hated the cruise, just wasn't your favorite compared to the other Royal Ships. I always say the worst cruise is no cruise at all. Unless the ship sinks any cruise is still better than staying at home... ;)

My Favorites:

Empress of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas

Least Favorite:

Anthem of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas (Before she retired)

Just to clarify, "Least Favorite" doesn't necessarily mean you hated the cruise, just wasn't your favorite compared to the other Royal Ships. I always say the worst cruise is no cruise at all. Unless the ship sinks any cruise is still better than staying at home... ;)

+1 ^

Miss her bunches here in PC...getting her back again for only a brief spell, but happy to be booked at least one more time.

I am sure I will get criticized because there are some people who really love Anthem and that is fine to each their own. I didn't like how overcrowded Anthem was. I don't necessarily oppose bigger ships having been on Explorer and Mariner which are still pretty big ships even with today's mega ships. Explorer and Mariner never felt crowded or claustrophobic, Anthem did. I also wasn't a fan of the ship's layout it was almost like they forgot about the Ocean when they designed her and though she is built for colder climates, she was still too enclosed for me with lack of oceanviews.

Most ships have a bunch of observation decks, not Anthem. Anthem mainly had the crowded pool deck to view the ocean, a small deck off the Windjammer (Which was also crowded), and barely an outer promenade that had dead ends where most ships it wraps around the whole ship.

Even after booking activities months before the cruise we still waited in line for everything! It felt more like an amusement park/shopping mall at sea instead of a cruise ship which call me old school, but that is not why I cruise. I cruise to sit back relax and enjoy the ocean air. Everything was mainly inside, the Esplanade looked a lot like a shopping mall to me and was crowded most of the time.

That being said do I regret booking Anthem? Absolutely not, the worst cruise is no cruise at all! However would I ever book a Quantum class ship again? Absolutely not, I like the other Royal Caribbean ships better and I will probably not book anything larger than a Freedom Class in the future. (Though I suspect the Oasis Class might spread the crowd out enough)

Now that I got the negatives out of the way, here are the highlights of Anthem that were positive, like I said it wasn't like I had a terrible time I was still on a Cruise Vacation instead of sitting at home in the cold! She is just my least favorite ship in the fleet that is all....

Positive Stuff:

Great Cabin, probably the biggest nicest cabin I have ever had on a cruise ship so if a cabin is important to you then you will like Anthem. (I don't care much about cabins cause I just mainly sleep there)

270 Lounge and Cafe 270 was cool, this was one spot you could get away from the crowd.

Overall the ship is beautiful full of nice decor and elegant artwork.

Solarium was very nice.

Shows and Entertainment very high quality. (Cabaret and We Will Rock You show was great, The Gift was ok but still worth seeing, comedians and music was good also)

Food was excellent once you got into the dining room.

Waiter, Assistant Waiter, and Cabin Attendant were great.

Negative Stuff:

Ship design doesn't really let you appreciate the Sea.

Too many people, even though she is a large ship they stuffed way too many people on this class and didn't spread them out enough.

Crew seemed stressed and service level was inferior to other Royal Caribbean ships probably because they had to handle way too many passengers.... (With exception to the waiter, asst waiter and cabin attendant)

Even after making reservations in advance waited in line for everything forget about doing anything in the Seaplex it was jammed all the time, pools were also too crowded.

For a new ship believe it or not lots of stuff was broken like the xBoxes my niece and nephew wanted to play, drink machines and etc...

My Time Dining is a big Cluster F. Anthem for some reason, where it hasn't been on other RCL cruises I have been on.

That was just my opinion you very may well love Anthem it really comes down to the type of cruiser you are. I will say though since you have traveled on Carnival in the past Anthem is very different from the rest of the RCL ships, so don't judge the whole line on this one ship. I to have sailed with Carnival and I like both lines, majority have been RCL just because of the loyalty points, and I always thought their ships were slightly more elegant than Carnival, but both lines are pretty comparable to each other..

Best advice I can give is book everything you want to do on the website well in advance, you will still wait for stuff but won't wait nearly as long as the people who book on the ship. Also if you are going to dine in the main dining rooms just pick an early or late seating instead of the My Time Dining option, it may not be as flexible but you will get into the dining room faster. If you can afford a Balcony Cabin, spring for the balcony as I said the ship itself lacks a lot of views best just to get that view from your cabin and to get away from the crowds.

Good luck enjoy your cruise!

Past Cruises:

Carnival Ecstacy

Sovereign of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas

Carnival Victory

Explorer of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas

Empress of the Seas

Empress of the Seas

Anthem of the seas

Future Cruise Booked:

Empress of the Seas again! Love Key West this ship goes there a lot....

Two of the key reasons that you didn't like the Anthem were the same as why we didn't care (much) for the Oasis class. Lack of a connection to the ocean, lack of views. People, people everywhere, even late hours when things are typically quieting down. ...in addition, the workout facilities were by far the poorest of any ship we've sailed.

The staterooms were nice though, and the main promenade and central park were beautiful. We also liked the extra "club" venues for dancing/drinking at night.

Love the Freedom class. For us, it hits the sweet spot of big, but not too big and crowded. Still plenty to do. Love the promenade. Great views of the ocean.

Dan

Two of the key reasons that you didn't like the Anthem were the same as why we didn't care (much) for the Oasis class. Lack of a connection to the ocean, lack of views. People, people everywhere, even late hours when things are typically quieting down. ...in addition, the workout facilities were by far the poorest of any ship we've sailed.

The staterooms were nice though, and the main promenade and central park were beautiful. We also liked the extra "club" venues for dancing/drinking at night.

Love the Freedom class. For us, it hits the sweet spot of big, but not too big and crowded. Still plenty to do. Love the promenade. Great views of the ocean.

Dan

Thanks Dan! I figured Freedom Class would be fine on size it looks like all it is a is slightly larger Voyager class. Good to know cause I was thinking about booking Liberty of the Seas soon.

Going on Enchantment this fall for the first time. It doesn't show up on anyone's favorite or least favorite, I'll just go have a good time.
Enchantment is nice was on her way back in 97 before they stretched the ship. She was nice then! Tell you the truth I almost listed Enchantment instead of Mariner. I saw her pull next to us in Nassau last March while I was on Empress looked pretty cool with the suspension bridges.