Carnival's new bland decor.

Thoth

What happened to Joe Farcus , who earned the reputation of creating the most eccentric & whimsical designs ? The Legend was all about urns and everything on the Splendor was pink !

I just got off the Vista which probably has the most boring decor of any ship in the fleet. The atrium has a giant LED display but little else to catch the eye. The dining room was for eating, not looking at. The Liquids theater is a throwback to a lounge design with poor sight-lines & lack of seating. Don't get me wrong, I loved my cruise vacation just found the ship decor boring compared to the other "Fun Ships" :rolleyes:

I agree with you. I've not sailed on the Vista, but if it is similar in décor to the Breeze - and I think it is - the décor is pretty forgettable. I enjoy the Farcus designed ships. I wouldn't want that in my home, but for a vacation it is fun. And I thought Carnival was all about fun. Are they transitioning from "the fun ships" to the "Blah ships?"

I have not been on Carnival before but the decor on Vista is one reason why I’m considering it. A reason why I didn’t want to go on Carnival is because of the decor. I thought it was cheap and tacky. Maybe Carnival is trying to market to a new audience by having more subdued decor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have not been on Carnival before but the decor on Vista is one reason why I’m considering it. A reason why I didn’t want to go on Carnival is because of the decor. I thought it was cheap and tacky. Maybe Carnival is trying to market to a new audience by having more subdued decor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The 90's Fantasy class ships were a bit over the top, but I felt the Conquest class onward are tastefully fun...even attractive. :confused:

There are 20 or 21 ships in the fleet that have all of the Joe Farcus inspired shades of Pepto Bismol that you can enjoy. (Don't know how much of his Destiny stuff got redone in the Sunshine makeover) In the mean time, don't cruise on the Dream or Vista class and you have exactly what you want.

I agree about Farcus designs.....to me it was inspired and artistic. The newer decor is more subdued to compete with other cruise lines "classy" look. I can appreciate both, but I do like Farcus...but then I am an artist, too, so I get him.

Part of the fun of each new ship was to figure out the "theme" of the Farcus design. We just did the Breeze in Feb, and the theme was the beach. Wow, lovely and well done, but not quite like a Farcus design of the same theme.

I guess that is why I prefer the Conquest class ships. I like creative artsy fartsy and I like walking around a corner and getting a surprise Wow.

robin

My thought is to make all the ships different. They can be similar to each ship in its class but still have some unique qualities. I want to be surprised each time I try a different ship. If I really like it, I can always try that ship or its class again.

If you cruised a bit and can remember the older ships like the Tropicale, I can still remember seeing the piping along the ceilings in some areas. When you were in port, you would always be looking up at the neighboring ships. Now that is unique.

Early in my cruising history, I sailed a Farkus designed ship that had plastic palm trees in the buffet area (I think) that were decorated with small Xmas lights (It wasn't December). They weren't even good facsimiles, they were blatantly phony and stuck out to me like gross examples of terrible design.

The Vista had a few "realistic" trees in its buffet and seeing them brought back memories of these tacky designs.

Carnival is still Carnival with its outrageous decor. The only other line that approaches Carnival's in your face style is NCL, but NCL's art is limited to the outside of their hulls, not interior cabin hallways, dining areas and outdoor venues.

I overlooked the cheap, gaudy decor for the most part, especially when my cheap fare used to compensate for tacky design. I mean, low fares used to tell me I was sailing a cheap line and the tacky decor just re-enforced that idea for me. Now that Carnival has significantly raised many of its fares, I expect more in the way of amenities, venues and design. I loved the new modern atriums on the Vista that many Farkus lovers have deplored here on CC. I prefer the new hallway designs to the "artwork" displayed on Carnival's older ships.

Don't we tell our children that if they want to be taken seriously, they should act and dress accordingly, and that if they don't want to be treated shabbily, no matter how unjust a stereotype is, they shouldn't dress or act trashy?

What happened to Joe Farcus , who earned the reputation of creating the most eccentric & whimsical designs ? The Legend was all about urns and everything on the Splendor was pink !

I just got off the Vista which probably has the most boring decor of any ship in the fleet. The atrium has a giant LED display but little else to catch the eye. The dining room was for eating, not looking at. The Liquids theater is a throwback to a lounge design with poor sight-lines & lack of seating. Don't get me wrong, I loved my cruise vacation just found the ship decor boring compared to the other "Fun Ships" :rolleyes:

I find decor changes to be a wonderful thing.

I might even return to sailing Carnival.

Loved Miracle design. Couldn't adjust to this...

89c06434e97948ff0f8baa719f982bbc.jpgb96c961c1d6386f1caf84dcc86803a45.jpg

Of course it is all a matter of personal taste, but I will take the decor on Sunshine or Dream class ships any day. Not only do I find the Farcus designs ugly as all get out, and tacky beyond belief, but the furnishings look cheap. I realize they are not and a ton of money was spent on those design elements, but the do not look like it.

When I first started cruising years ago, I also thought Farcus's designs were over the top and that I did not like them, but having sailed on ships now that he did not design, I found I really missed his designs. Turns out that over the top is my design choice when it comes to cruising. The Carnival Vista buffet looks like a Panera Bread dining room.

When I first started cruising years ago, I also thought Farcus's designs were over the top and that I did not like them, but having sailed on ships now that he did not design, I found I really missed his designs. Turns out that over the top is my design choice when it comes to cruising. The Carnival Vista buffet looks like a Panera Bread dining room.

I have to agree that Farcus designs are gaudy, but part of the fun. I though Breeze was the first ship that he didn't design, but we sailed Magic last year, and found it quite bland and un-memorable. I don't think he was fired by Carnival Corp., as he was still designing interiors for AIDA. EM