An unsettling situation with NCL. Your thoughts and suggestions ?

zdad59

As another former military member and as the wife of a retired Air Force officer, military people know that deployments may happen. I’m sorry to hear this was such a surprise for your friend.

While it can be so disappointing, please don’t raise Cruise fares for the rest of us who did plan and do plan for the unexpected by rewarding those who claim they didn’t know.

It’s an expensive mistake but. I’m sure it won’t be made again.

I hope the rest of the family has a wonderful cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is happening to a close friend of mine, not me personally. I am reposting their Facebook post to me and others All I ask here is your thoughts and possibly suggestions on things they might be able to do.

Thanks

For those of you planning a cruise or family vacation please verify ALL of the fine print and study company policy before booking.

We were FINALLY able to schedule a family vacation. If you have adult children then you know how hard that is with schedules. Our trip is a Bahama cruise May 2018. So the short story is this - Apx 40 days from sail date we found out Anthony is being deployed overseas during the planned vacation. We contacted Norwegian Cruise Lines and CSA Travel Protection insurance company (where we purchased the travel insurance from) to notify them of the deployment.

CSA stated "Military deployment is not a valid reason for filing a refund claim". NCL basically said the same thing. NCL will cancel the cabin within 30 days but penalize us 75% of the trip value. This is inexcusable. NCL and CSA do not support our military personnel who have no control over these deployments. It's not like they can say NO. It's a terrible practice. These insurance protection companies are a scam. They'll do anything to deny claims. And shame on NCL for their policy.

So remember this the next time you plan a vacation. And yes, I've been filing the BBB complaints and other boards......

Why did they buy insurance that doesn’t cover their needs?

Why didn’t they do their due diligence and purchase the proper insurance?

Why do they feel it’s mine or NCL’s problem and to cover their bad decision?

My opinion?

Opps, we made a mistake and we are going to learn from it. Maybe, just maybe, NCL can hook us up. If NCL doesn’t, we understand because it was our own faux pax.

I can only hope others can learn from our mistake.

Accept responsibility. Follow up with a Mia culpa, and maybe, just maybe, I’ll have some sympathy.

zdad59

You are a nice guy just wanting to help a friend. But NCL doesn't care about you or your friend. Or the young man who is putting his life on the line for his country. NCL should be thanking him for his service as I am doing along with all the humans here. Instead they show again they only care about profit.

Time to take the fight to them. You or the family need to contact local news outlets and get the sorry told..... Big mean Corporation putting the screws to young American Military man. Do the Facebook thing, contact local Vet groups they may have some connect that can help you. Reach out to Fox News, CNN, etc. Tell the story to anyone that will listen.

Consider starting online petition about this. Maybe try a go fund me page, not really for the money but to be seen.

Another thing google cruise law news and then send the information to Jim, this is the stuff he puts on his Facebook page and blog. Jim Walker is a Miami based Maritime Lawyer, he is the go to guy for anything about cruise companies for the media, US Congress, etc. I know he has a special with the military, so he may get involved, without any fees. One email or SMS from him and it would be corrected.

Become the flat tire on the NCL bus. If the corporate office feels any heat past the normal customer service people they will fix this. Because it is good for business. Best of luck hopefully they will be am to take the cruise in the future,

Can’t say I’ve ever read so many posts from one individual who gives out more bad advise or argues with more experts than this poster.

Have your friend have their son go through their civil administration section to see if this is covered under Soldiers and Sailors Act.

The trip won't be, but the insurance may be forced to cover based on the SAS.

Thanks all for the discussion. All perspectives are appreciated. The family is pursing a refund of the soldier's fare through a few channels. Interesting to note that Southwest Airlines refunded the airfare in full, no questions asked, once a copy of the orders were provided.

I do agree that the implication of possible of deployment and the insurance should have been fully researched. My view though is that in this case there is a difference between "what is legally right" and "what the right thing to do" is.

All in all an unfortunate situation. I hope my friends can find some satisfactory resolution.

Edited by zdad59

Sorry I get results and really do not care how I get to the end as long as it is legal. You may see it as a over reaction that is your choice, as it is my choice to consider it as the best way to correct this.

So, you don't believe that the person is responsible for their own actions? That someone else must take care of them and coddle them because they are too stupid to take care of themselves?

Does the idea of whining in order to get your way instead of understanding that you are the person responsible for your own actions bother you that much?

I do agree that the implication of possible of deployment and the insurance should have been fully researched. My view though is that in this case there is a difference between "what is legally right" and "what the right thing to do" is.

First, I'm very sorry for the perdicament your friend is in and I thank Anthony for his service (my dad was 30 year career Army).

What I wonder is where does the cruise line or insurance company draw the line? Do they make an exception for a soldier being deployed or for someone who has a death in the family or someone who breaks a foot or someone who has a relative who fell ill or a person with damage from a storm, etc. I'm sure you get my drift and I'm just wondering who gets an exception (or do they give an exception to everyone) and who doesn't and who would make that decision.

Sorry but that "do the right thing" is nothing but an appeal to pity argument. The "right thing" is for all parties to abide by the rules.

Can you just stop....while its clear you have no filters, can you just try to get some help? My God, its sacriledge what you post.

Probably because it is easier for Southwest to fill that empty seat than it is for NCL to eat the cost of the refund.

Or probably because both these companies are totally separate businesses and have totally separate platforms of what they deem acceptable. Just because one company refunds does not make the other business responsible to refund. Have people forgotten that businesses are there to make a profit and not there to sympathize for each persons mistakes? When a business does throw a consumer a life line it should be greatly appreciated, when they don't it should be completely understood with no hard feelings since it was spelled out to begin with.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Southwest also lets regular folk cancel our change their flights for any old reason, you just get a credit instead of refund.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Then again one of their passengers was killed by an exploding engine. Can't wait to see what the right thing is in this case. Perhaps her estate will get a credit.

Some of the replies really make me questions people. The OP came here to try to solve a problem. Doesn't matter who made the problem, really doesn't matter what is the right thing. Those here on you high horse have fun But I will always post a answer to the problem.

Before I retired from US consulting work I ran into people like these high horse posters.... I will let you in on a little secret here from those days.

1) The Company Image is always to most important thing.

2) Stay within the law

3) Get the results the client need

After that really do not care or need to know anything.... Do not care about right thing for the general public, do not care about destroying reputations or people my only goal is get the results for the client (and stay within the law)

So for those saying overkill or the company did nothing wrong or the contract is the contract, really doesn't matter, you are not the client. In this case the information is direct to the OP and anyone else who finds it helpful.

What I find insulting is that members here are free to cruise because young men like this risk life and really most posters don't seem to care. Yes post your thank you for your service....and think you have done the right thing. So what if not within the contract can and should be done under customer goodwill.

zdad59

You are a nice guy just wanting to help a friend. But NCL doesn't care about you or your friend. Or the young man who is putting his life on the line for his country. NCL should be thanking him for his service as I am doing along with all the humans here. Instead they show again they only care about profit.

Time to take the fight to them. You or the family need to contact local news outlets and get the sorry told..... Big mean Corporation putting the screws to young American Military man. Do the Facebook thing, contact local Vet groups they may have some connect that can help you. Reach out to Fox News, CNN, etc. Tell the story to anyone that will listen.

Consider starting online petition about this. Maybe try a go fund me page, not really for the money but to be seen.

Another thing google cruise law news and then send the information to Jim, this is the stuff he puts on his Facebook page and blog. Jim Walker is a Miami based Maritime Lawyer, he is the go to guy for anything about cruise companies for the media, US Congress, etc. I know he has a special with the military, so he may get involved, without any fees. One email or SMS from him and it would be corrected.

Become the flat tire on the NCL bus. If the corporate office feels any heat past the normal customer service people they will fix this. Because it is good for business. Best of luck hopefully they will be am to take the cruise in the future,

Crazy.

Boy, you've really got it bad for him don't you?

When you believe that need to worry what other people post here, that is the time to stop posting. Doesn't affect me in the least if anything just makes me stronger and better to get to the goal.

Your entire post is based on a false premise. It DOES matter who made the problem. In this case the OP made eh problem so it is on the OP to resolve it. That IS the right thing to do.

You have your idea of right and others have another idea. Cruise Lines do things in the name of good will everyday. I just want to push to make sure that happens.

Can you just stop....while its clear you have no filters, can you just try to get some help? My God, its sacriledge what you post.

Two things:

1) Spell the word correctly.

2) Use the word correctly.