'18 Alaska Ruby Princess patters/menus wanted

red4u2

There needs to be better communication and organization. Each port day there was chaos getting on/off. I don’t know if it was because it was the first sailing of season or what. They never made announcements of where/when to disembark. MDR service was slow, the couple times we went we ended up leaving before dessert. This was our 6th Princess Cruise and have 2 more booked and about to book a 3rd. We had a good time and no regrets. The ship was in good condition. I think the crew needs to get it together a bit. Oh and we had a cabin steward change midway through but it was too late because me and adjoining cabins were already starting to get sick [emoji855]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So u had a fever?....Oh no.... do u figure it was from ur steward?

Did u do find using your camera's zoom workable with, no binoculars....? I am wondering if the binoculars will get in my way?

How dressy were the formal nights...LS dress shirt acceptable for the guys?

Happy to hear weather was better than predicted...

So u had a fever?....Oh no.... do u figure it was from ur steward?

Did u do find using your camera's zoom workable with, no binoculars....? I am wondering if the binoculars will get in my way?

How dressy were the formal nights...LS dress shirt acceptable for the guys?

Happy to hear weather was better than predicted...

Yes I have a pretty bad sinus cold. The steward was sick from what I was told.

I mostly used my camera and occasionally binoculars I purchased ahead of time on amazon. I used the binoculars mostly from the cabin. I noticed the photo dept selling binoculars for $25 but can’t say how good they were.

First off the dress code wasn’t enforced on even regular nights. I saw hoodies allowed in. We didn’t participate or dress up on formal nights but from my observations in the piazza I noticed some suits, LS dress shirts, some cowboy outfits, a Hawaiian thingie and some Japanese dress. It was pretty mixed.

anthonyy7, The Patters showed sandwiches offered in the Pizzeria from 11:00 to 2:00. What type of sandwiches were offered?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had one of those sandwiches. It was sliced turkey and cheese on focaccia bread. It was great once I took off the cheese. It was too pungent and overpowering. The bread and turkey was delicious. I can’t recall the other selections.

I had one of those sandwiches. It was sliced turkey and cheese on focaccia bread. It was great once I took off the cheese. It was too pungent and overpowering. The bread and turkey was delicious. I can’t recall the other selections.

Thanks for the response.

Any comments on the Specialty Restaurants?

I loved all 3 specialty restaurants especially Share. Share is my favorite one now unfortunately it’s not on all the ships. The only bad thing about share is there is severe vibrations at the back of the ship otherwise he atmosphere was nice. Crown Grill never disappoints and we ate at Salty Dog twice. The burger they serve is delicious however I omitted the kimchi and pork belly in mine.

Thank you for posting all the patters. I'm getting extremely excited for the June 2nd cruise. I'm not on the Ruby, so my itinerary will be slightly different, doing a NB out of Vancouver but am interested to know, did they have the salmon bake? I've read previous reviews from others that it was offered but I couldn't find it on any of the patters, unless I missed it. If they had it, which day and where?

Thank you for posting all the patters. I'm getting extremely excited for the June 2nd cruise. I'm not on the Ruby, so my itinerary will be slightly different, doing a NB out of Vancouver but am interested to know, did they have the salmon bake? I've read previous reviews from others that it was offered but I couldn't find it on any of the patters, unless I missed it. If they had it, which day and where?

Was the Salmon bake something special or served at the MDR in the other reviews? They were trying to sell the crab shake dinner the first couple days but I can’t recall any salmon bake and we didn’t eat in the MDR but twice.

Was the Salmon bake something special or served at the MDR in the other reviews? They were trying to sell the crab shake dinner the first couple days but I can’t recall any salmon bake and we didn’t eat in the MDR but twice.

If I recall correctly, it seemed like it was a feature held on the Lido deck one afternoon, not in the MDR nor the buffet. I'll have to go back and see where I read it before and then ask when I get onboard. I love salmon and it seemed like they did this one serving on other Alaska cruises but couldn't find it featured on your patters. Maybe I was just dreaming...:')

Glad you had a great cruise.

Glacier Bay was the highlight for us and the main reason we took this cruise. Around 7am we were up at sky walkers which is where the rangers setup the tables and answer any Qs. Don’t forget your NPS passport book! They will have the official stamp and everyone receives the official NPS Park map for Glacier Bay the night before. They will post a big route map with time frames of where they will be so you can plan your day. I love taking photos with the park entrance signs and they even have some setup outside the lounge which worked just fine for me. I would plan on being in/out taking in views between 9a-2p. The promenade deck wasn’t crowded at all. Most were out on the top decks. We opted for first time not to have a balcony because it was cold however next time we will. The ship turns and there will be views on both sides however I think the port would be best because you can see great views coming in esp going by Johns Hopkins inlet area. We saw plenty of ice falling and lots of bald eagles flying around. A couple dolphins or something in the water but things happen so fast. Keep in mind that if you want coffee or anything to go with lid that you need to bring your own cup. All paper products are removed that day incl the wooden stirrers. Your basically limited to the small white plastic cups in the buffet.

94c76cb432c0d4eab2dc0cd5b5565987.jpg

fcd14959e330ebf48cf18c9e502969c8.jpg

dc2944f200702cc020492b31684e0d50.jpg

Anthony thank you so very very much for all this work you went to!!!

This sure helps to plan everything!

Dining room and shows are all very early!

By any chance did you go the seafood buffet on the Glacier bay day? If so were there crab legs or lobster?

Thank you again!!😀much

Check out this post from another thread.

New "trial?" MDR menus Ruby 3-31-18 sailing

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=55839781

I heard they have special MDR items on Alaska cruises. It'll be interesting to know what those are with the new menus! I also noticed from anthonyy7's posts they had Mexican / Indian / Oriental / Italian themed buffet dinners. Maybe there'll be something similar going on in the MDRs too.

I was on that cruise too..April 28....It was my first Princess cruise...I have sailed over twenty times but usually on Celebrity or Royal. This will probably be my only Princess cruise....The lack of communication and the crazy long lines for EVERYTHING was just not for me. I have been on much bigger ships with more people, and the Ruby always had lines for everything...Coffee line at the International Cafe in the mornings was never less than seven people to one person taking the orders. The line on the last day for guest services skirted completely around the Plaza due to the confusion about the Seattle POrt Valet option and everyone with beverage packages being overcharged and just checking their bills.

I had an aft balcony and spent a lot of time on it. It was totally blocked from the wind and it was great to sit on the balcony in Glacier Bay...Cabin R751.

I posted my full review but it hasn't been published yet. Maybe a few weeks from now, the weather will be a little warmer and more people will be outside and the crowds will not feel as bad...

There was an Alaskan theme menu item for almost every meal. I avoided the buffet but enjoyed it in the main dining room.

I heard they have special MDR items on Alaska cruises. It'll be interesting to know what those are with the new menus! I also noticed from anthonyy7's posts they had Mexican / Indian / Oriental / Italian themed buffet dinners. Maybe there'll be something similar going on in the MDRs too.
You might have a special entree or modified sauces and sides for the area you are cruising. There used to be a number of themed dinners in the MDR but other than Italian night (an homage to Sitmar?) they are a thing of the past. It is in the buffet where you will find the themed dinners and there should be one almost every evening on a 7 day cruise.

Thank you again to Anthony for posting the daily patters!!

Still looking for nightly menus for the main dining room. If anyone has them to post it would be greatly appreciated.! Trying to figure out which night for the family to do a specialty restaurant.

Check out this post from another thread.

New "trial?" MDR menus Ruby 3-31-18 sailing

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=55839781

Thank you so much for that link, I did see the menus, but I'm trying to ascertain what menu is for which night. Trying to plan an evening at the crown grill. When the menus are not appealing.:)

Thank you so much for that link, I did see the menus, but I'm trying to ascertain what menu is for which night. Trying to plan an evening at the crown grill. When the menus are not appealing.:)

I've read somewhere that Italian night is usually on Glacier Bay day (day 5). There are also 2 formal nights (sounds like "Chef's Dinner" and "Gala Dinner" to me) which are on the sea day (day 2) and Ketchikan (day 6). The "Welcome aboard" dinner menu is probably on day 1 (I wouldn't see how it would make sense for any other day). anthonyy7 also posted the menu for day 7. So that leaves days 3 and 4 as the remaining unknowns!

Bear in mind that the menus tend to occasionally rotate so you might want to take the above in manner a similar to your MDR meals - with a pinch of salt :)

The Welcome Aboard Dinner used to be called the Captain’s Welcome Dinner and was the menu for the first formal night. The Gala Dinner used to be called the Captain’s Gala Dinner and was the menu for the second formal night. On longer cruises the Chef’s Dinner is often used for the second of three formal nights.

The OP stated that he did not get a photo of the first night’s menu.

• 2 weeks later...
I just posted nightly MDR menus for Ruby here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2639827 — hope it helps!

Thank you - they're great! I just emailed them to our fellow travelers and told them to pick whether they want to go to SHARE or Crown Grill and on which night since a specialty restaurant is included in our package..

• 3 weeks later...