Carnival Paradise Trip to Cuba on 9/7/17 (during Hurricane Irma)

I'm trying to find anyone who actually boarded this ship and subsequently got off. We were on board when there was a near riot in the lobby. People wanted Carnival to cancel this cruise, seeing as how Irma was a cat 5 and was already battering the eastern part of Cuba. Eventually an announcement was made that if you felt unsafe about being on the ship, or for any other reason needed to get off, you could leave and would receive a future cruise credit for the entire amount of your sailing. We were on the ship and left at this time.

We read the announcement on Facebook from John Heald and even spoke to a Tina Lemons at Carnival who forwarded an e-mail to us that said refunds would not be given, but anyone who didn't sail would receive a fcc in the amount of the booking.

We tried to claim that fcc today and were told that Carnival never promised to give anyone more than a 25% fcc and we didn't qualify because we got off the ship.

So I'm trying to find anyone who was on this ship and actually got a credit. Is there someone we need to call that we don't know about? We are Platinum cruisers with Carnival and have sailed with them almost exclusively and just can't believe they're just keeping all of our money, including the shore excursion and wifi!

We cruised right after that so it had my attention. Everything I heard was 25% which was the same thing I shared on here from a few who discussed the situation.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54003169&postcount=27

They've handed out letters stating that they will announce at 3:00pm whether they'll still go to Cuba. They will visit Cozumel if they don't go to Cuba. They've invited passengers onboard for lunch. Once they announce the itinerary, if they're not going to Cuba, passengers may cancel and get a full refund, plus 25% credit for another cruise prior to March 2019. They are suggesting that passengers carry-on their luggage if they think they may cancel.

If they do decide to go to Cuba, watch for them on the national news this weekend. It will be titled "Worst cruise-line decision in history".

Thanks, Ray 98, but I'm looking for someone who actually boarded the ship on 9/7/17. We know all about the 25%, but that's not what we were told in the lobby, by the captain, before the ship sailed. A lot of people got off the boat, so I'm hoping someone is out there!

I was on that cruise along with 12 others. We actually had about 10 more call & cancel the day before & they all received a fcc for the cost of cruise(not sure about port charges though, all had excursions & drink packages too). We were told We were welcome to have lunch & @3pm if it was announced that we would make the port of Cuba, that you would get a fcc if you left, but not a refund since they were fulfilling the port promised. The 12 actually stay & did the cruise including 2 kids & it was the best time we’ve had on a ship! It was almost a 1 to 1 ratio with crew & guest due to so many canceling

We were also on this cruise and made the decision to sail no matter where the ship went. It was like Marybery said, one of the best cruises ever. Less cruisers than staff.

Anyway, I have a copy of the letter we got about the fcc and I will try and upload it here. I can email it to you if you would like?

I was on that cruise along with 12 others. We actually had about 10 more call & cancel the day before & they all received a fcc for the cost of cruise(not sure about port charges though, all had excursions & drink packages too). We were told We were welcome to have lunch & @3pm if it was announced that we would make the port of Cuba, that you would get a fcc if you left, but not a refund since they were fulfilling the port promised. The 12 actually stay & did the cruise including 2 kids & it was the best time we’ve had on a ship! It was almost a 1 to 1 ratio with crew & guest due to so many canceling��

Thank you, marybery! That's what was said! And we were fine with the fcc because we cruise on Carnival all the time. (Have a 14 day booked for later this year, which we wanted to use the fcc partially for!)

Best of luck to you! Just keep trying & don’t be afraid to call multiple times to get the job done. On multiple occasions I’ve been told one thing from a cruise rep & then called back & been told something completely different.