Lesstax

Singapore to Abu Dhabi (Part 3)

Arrived in Oman and took a 3 hour tour in a private taxi for $80. If that sounds a bit dear we need a bigger car to take my mobility scooter, and more importantly, I was happy to pay this amount. Went to the Souk and the throngs of tourists it attracts, after getting through a very busy nigh on claustrophobic area things opened up and the crowds were less. Didn’t buy too much as most of the trinkets don’t appeal but I did however add to my ever growing collection of carved wooden walking canes of which I am extremely attached too. I have one from Alaska and on the ship, the number of staff who had served me on other celebrity cruises, always seem to say, were you on xxxx before, and when I answer yes they say you have a funny stick, so my stick is more famous than me. We continued our drive around and went to The Sultans Palace, very impressive, and The Grand Mosque absolutely stunning. Oman is very clean and obviously the polar opposite of Sri Lanka and India. Next stop Dubai where we were meeting a friend who works there for lunch. We met in The Dubai Mall and how big is this place. A full size Aquarium which I could have stared at for hours, an Ice Rink, and although as dear as the UK a place where you will drop before you finish the shop. Had a lovely lunch and then had to find our way out, eventually managing it after about half an hour.

Spent the evening packing (well my wife did), cases placed outside the door and before we knew it we were in Abu Dhabi.

Waited until 9:30 to disembark, enjoying coffee and pastries in Michaels Club. Cases located easily, driver found easily, now to finish things up we are staying at Jebel Ali Beach Resort for a couple of days until we start all over again in November.

To summarise the itinerary was fantastic and diverse, the service was on the whole was first rate. Food was sublime. Ship was perfect. Joao in Michaels Club was the perfect host. Rene our Butler could not do enough for us. Russell the Maitre ‘D’ in Luminae was fantastic. Would I do this particular cruise again a resounding yes but would probably stay on as far as Rome before departing. So as you will gather here is one extremely happy cruiser who cannot wait until November and a trip around the Carribean on The Silhouette.

I have been following your posts but I don't see anything about the 3 ports in India. Did I miss it? very interested in your impressions.

I have been following your posts but I don't see anything about the 3 ports in India. Did I miss it? very interested in your impressions.

I thought I had so apologies.

Cochin

Interesting tour on a houseboat along the backwaters. Very picturesque and gave an idea of how they live. Washing their clothes on the river, what sort of medical facilities are available. Would highly recommend booking via Trivago rather than through cruise line about one third of the price.

Goa

For us it was just too hot and we mad it about as far as the port gate before deciding that a day on board looked much better. My father did go to the beach and when he returned he just confirmed to us that we made the correct decision. He said the beach as beautiful but the sand was roasting and the sun made things pretty unbearable.

Mumbai

We took a taxi to the Phoenix mall (Designer wall to wall) not to do any shopping but to give my wife and my father an understanding of how busy the roads are and the poverty that exists in this country. Then we arrive at the mall and they are gobsmacked that a designer mall actually exists in Mumbai but also how high the prices seem. The stark difference between the haves and the have nots is never clearly defined as it is here. We saw all the sights, the Laundry, The Train Station where 300 people were by terrorists some years before, etc etc.

A truly fascinating country and to have got my wife there, with me having been to Delhi numerous times before was just great.

I hope that helps.

Ray

Thank you very much, Ray. On the roll call for this cruise there were a lot of people (including us before we had to cancel) using Muzins Heritage tours operated by Lijo Jose. He is supposed to be really great, if your wife wants to return:D. Glad you mentioned the heat as that was what clinched our final decision. Extreme heat on top of illness would not be cool (pun intended).

Thank you very much, Ray. On the roll call for this cruise there were a lot of people (including us before we had to cancel) using Muzins Heritage tours operated by Lijo Jose. He is supposed to be really great, if your wife wants to return:D. Glad you mentioned the heat as that was what clinched our final decision. Extreme heat on top of illness would not be cool (pun intended).

My wife suffers from extreme heat, and just about managed. However on a sea day there was a lovely breeze and slightly over indulged on the sun. All that said, I always tend to book private tours, and air con is a must if we are visiting somewhere hot and humid. It is not compulsory to get off at every port, recommended - yes, but sometimes you just have to be pragmatic and do the right thing. This was a wonderful itinerary and despite my reservations, having read how bad the ship and the food was, I would put it up there in my top 3 with Alaska and The Baltic. Give me the same ship and staff and an interesting itinerary and I will book it tomorrow.