What broadway play?

George C

On January 29, 2019 at 1:25 PM, MarkBearSF said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Fantastiks record has a big asterisk because it ended for a year or few and then picked up again (back 10-15 years ago, I believe).  And "Oh Calcutta" has another of the "longest running" records...
In any case, the fact remains that it's easier to keep running in a tiny, cheap, off-Broadway house than in a larger Broadway theater.

Glad to see that this thread has picked up again. FYI - here are the shows we'll be seeing in June.

• Tootsie - got great reviews pre-broadway, with a fun score by David Yazbek (Band's Visit, Full Monty)
  • Gary - a new play written by the performance artist, drag queen, and McArthur genius Taylor Mac, billed as a "sequel to Titus Andronicus," starring Nathan Lane and Andrea Martin
  • King Lear - starring Glenda Jackson as Lear
  • Hadestown - a musical retelling of the Orpheus myth, it got rave reviews off-broadway and the West End (Staged by Rachel Chavkin, who did The Great Comet)
  • Moulin Rouge - likewise, great reports from its pre-Broadway tryout in Boston (based on the movie)
  • Frankie and Johnny at the Clair de Lune - just announced, A limited run revival of the play, starring Audra McDonald.

...and I've got a remaining slot which will probably be filled with one of these

• Kiss Me Kate - musical revival starring Kelli O'Hara (hoping it extends a few weeks so I can catch it)
  • The Prom - a funny musical from the guy behind "The Drowsy Chaperone" a few years back. I't getting great reports but has weak box-office, so it's likely not to be running when we visit
  • To Kill a Mockingbird - a new play by Aaron Sorkin, based upon the novel. Getting great reviews. Currently starring Jeff Daniels.
  • The Cher Show - another bio-jukebox musical. With the wonderful Stephanie A Block as one of the Chers.

But unlikely to be

• King Kong - a really bad musical surrounding a really great puppet.
  • Be More Chill - a fun little musical by Joe Iconis. Popular with "the kids," it's sort of Mean Girls meets Little Shop of Horrors. (We already saw it off-Broadway last summer)
  • Beetlejuice - got slammed by bad reviews pre-broadway
  • Pretty Woman - Another movie adaptation, with noting to add to the movie. I'll see it on tour when it inevitably comes to SF
  • Hilary & Clinton - a play starring Laurie Metcalf

Looking forward to March and April when most of them start previews.

We saw Fantastiks in San Francisco in 1970.This year we will be seeing To Kill A Mockingbird, Cher Show and Tootsie.Last year we saw Come From Away,Beautiful,Pretty Woman.

We are also seeing Hillary and Clinton .John Lithgows grand kids are close friends of my grand kids.

I saw Fantastiks a couple of times in original theater in the village first time late 60’s  love that area , was able to take my wife to see it about 1990 there. Again doing our annual trip end of May will see 3 or 4 plays using tkts. Luckily Dallas gets really good touring shows and have front row tickets for Beautiful, in June this will be our third time seeing that. Thanks to everybody for keeping this thread alive. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

I saw Fantastiks a couple of times in original theater in the village first time late 60’s  love that area , was able to take my wife to see it about 1990 there. Again doing our annual trip end of May will see 3 or 4 plays using tkts. Luckily Dallas gets really good touring shows and have front row tickets for Beautiful, in June this will be our third time seeing that. Thanks to everybody for keeping this thread alive. 

3 hours ago, George C said:

When you saw Fantastiks in the 60's in the village you probably paid $ 5.00 or less for a ticket.I hung out in the village from 1961 to 1965 .That was a wonderful time for the arts.

7 hours ago, madelinerose said:

Coming and pretty sure the audience will be singing along. :classic_biggrin:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aint-too-proud-the-temptations-story-comes-to-broadway/

Looks fantastic!  I am going to see BEAUTIFUL but omg...…...maybe I should have booked this instead.  I love both so I am happy with my choice but oh, I love The Temptations too!

55 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Looks fantastic!  I am going to see BEAUTIFUL but omg...…...maybe I should have booked this instead.  I love both so I am happy with my choice but oh, I love The Temptations too!

Lois you made the right choice! Beautiful is more than just about Carol King. So many other characters. 

25 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Lois you made the right choice! Beautiful is more than just about Carol King. So many other characters. 

Thanks for the reply:classic_biggrin:...…..I am really excited about seeing it!......I remember when Tapestry came out. I was over the moon about it and learned the lyrics to every song on the album....I think it will be my all time favorite forever. Did I say album?

Ageing us here:classic_wink:

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Andrea Martin broke ribs rehearsing for Gary and has had to be replaced in the cast.  We're seeing it anyway, though!  Love Nathan Lane

Likewise. And I'm glad to have a chance to see Julie White. Looking forward to hearing reports from their first performance tomorrow.

Broadway theater has such amazing actors , have seen multiple academy award winners in same play. First broadway play I saw was just before I got drafted in April 1969 , play it again Sam, staring Woody Alan , Diane Keaton and Tony Roberts , was 19 at the time. 

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

Lois, you will love Beautiful & I still love Tapestry. 😉

So far, my absolute favorite show was "It's Only a Play" with Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Stockard Channing, etc, etc. The audience roared with laughter from start to finish. 🤣

My absolute least favorite was "Bright Star" written by Steve Martin. We left at intermission.

Back in the day "A Chorus Line" won me over. Saw it twice locally and twice on Broadway. 😉

• Like 1

We are seeing My Fair Lady in May. We were surprised to still find reasonable seats ($99 per person for balcony seats). I love Laura Benanti and Henry Hadden-Paton so I could not be more excited!

Also, I don’t know how hard tickets are to get, but for Harry Potter fans, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is a must. We saw it in London last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, madelinerose said:

So far, my absolute favorite show was "It's Only a Play" with Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Stockard Channing, etc, etc. The audience roared with laughter from start to finish. 🤣

My absolute least favorite was "Bright Star" written by Steve Martin. We left at intermission.

Back in the day "A Chorus Line" won me over. Saw it twice locally and twice on Broadway. 😉

I LOVE Chorus Line too!!!!!!! To be honest, I think I saw it on Broadway but can't remember for sure...…...I remember seeing a musical at The Shubert Theater and having dinner at Sardi's..it was many, many, MANY years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cft8 said:

We are seeing My Fair Lady in May. We were surprised to still find reasonable seats ($99 per person for balcony seats). I love Laura Benanti and Henry Hadden-Paton so I could not be more excited!

Also, I don’t know how hard tickets are to get, but for Harry Potter fans, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is a must. We saw it in London last year.

I'm a huge Laura Benanti fan and would love to see her in MFL (saw it last summer with Lauren Ambrose - it's a wonderful production and I'm sure Laura brings her great comedy to it)

Tickets aren't impossible for Harry Potter, but are most available in for long future dates and close-up (as tickets are returned, they're put back on sale) - so keep checking.

Once concern about HP is that people need to realize that it's two long plays. So it's a commitment for either a full day (Wed, Sat, Sun) or two evenings (Thurs, Fri). If time is limited for a visit, that might be an issue. Luckily, it'll be in NY and London for a long time and just opened in Melbourne and San Francisco, hopefully for a long time as well. (And, by the way, we really enjoyed it)

• Like 1

Once concern about HP is that people need to realize that it's two long plays. So it's a commitment for either a full day (Wed, Sat, Sun) or two evenings (Thurs, Fri). If time is limited for a visit, that might be an issue. Luckily, it'll be in NY and London for a long time and just opened in Melbourne and San Francisco, hopefully for a long time as well. (And, by the way, we really enjoyed it)

True and I should have mentioned that - I was trying to get my reply typed before my training class started up again! :-)

We were not able to get the consecutive nights for the dates we had free on our London trip (turned out those performances were special sensory-sensitive performances). We were hesitant about devoting a full day to it, but we bought them I think before they announced it was coming to NYC and certainly before they announced additional US cities. We did not know if we’d have another chance to see it, so, we went for it and were so glad we did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On March 10, 2019 at 8:40 PM, Lois R said:

Thanks for the reply:classic_biggrin:...…..I am really excited about seeing it!......I remember when Tapestry came out. I was over the moon about it and learned the lyrics to every song on the album....I think it will be my all time favorite forever. Did I say album?

Ageing us here:classic_wink:

Beautiful as others have said is a great show. I was not a fan of hers,I never bought any of her albums but I grew up in Brooklyn and this show was about a lot of singers who lived  there .

2 hours ago, George C said:

Saw chorus line on a ncl ship about 25 years ago, was not a bad production but would love to see it on broadway. 

Chorus line was presented in Dallas last year ,not Broadway but independent theaters are sometimes really good. My wifes favorite show is Man  of LaMancha.We saw it on Broadway years ago but 2 years ago we went to see it at a Dinner theater and the lead singer was unbelievably great.

On 3/10/2019 at 9:26 PM, MarkBearSF said:

Likewise. And I'm glad to have a chance to see Julie White. Looking forward to hearing reports from their first performance tomorrow.

Totally.

We saw her in Little Dog Laughed and in (surprisingly) The Understudy.

Then we saw her in a one person reading of a new play here in Boston that I don't think was every produced, called "Parallelogram"

17 hours ago, cft8 said:

Her performing schedule is a little complicated, and so is that of Hadden-Paton: Laura Benanti will star as Eliza Doolittle through 7/7/19. Kerstin Anderson will play the role of Eliza at Tuesday evening performances, however Laura Benanti will perform on Tuesday 3/19, 4/23 and 6/4. Laura Benanti will not perform on 3/9, 3/10, 3/24-28, 4/27-28, 6/5, 6/28-30 or 7/6. The role of Henry Higgins will be performed by Michael Halling on Wednesday evenings.

18 hours ago, Lois R said:

I LOVE Chorus Line too!!!!!!! To be honest, I think I saw it on Broadway but can't remember for sure...…...I remember seeing a musical at The Shubert Theater and having dinner at Sardi's..it was many, many, MANY years ago.

Great minds think alike, Lois. :classic_wink: