What broadway play?

George C

On 6/4/2019 at 10:31 AM, George C said:

Just returned from nyc yesterday went to 4 broadway plays bought tickets to all at half price tkts at Lincoln center , which allows you to buy tonight’s tickets and tomorrow’s maintee tickets , really enjoyed all four, had really good seats for all 4 , row “j” for first 3 and row “g” for last ,  all four have about 7 tony nominations or more ,  first three were musical comedy, preety woman,  prom  and tootsie, hard to figure out which one we liked the best since they were all excellent, last one was Gary, was not sure about this and mixed reviews but we really enjoyed it but may not be for everyone, had great seat row G center orchestra this was in booth theater which has great legroom. We did recommend Prom to some conservative people and they consider it to Gay .  Also saw nightclub show at Feinstein’s 54 below small place that we would highly recommend saw famous star of Saturday night live leaving the place. We had suite at michealanglo which is perfect location for plays. Had some great food at Becco, also had our pizza and pastrami and broke the bank for some appetizers and wine at le Bernardin. Favorite bars were Gallagher’s and upstairs at Sardis . Looking forward to seeing tony awards this weekend . 

We will be in NYC next year and I'm hoping the Prom will still be around as my kids would love to see it. 

3 minutes ago, madelinerose said:

They certainly did and the show was fantastic! Will be watching the Tonys hoping for a/some wins. 

I will NOT spend $300-500 on a pair of tickets to a Broadway show to hear Becky sing her favorite songs.
I'm an usher in San Francisco. Doing that in my theater will first get you reprimanded. And then removed. Surprised that the Shubert ushers at the Imperial didn't step in.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 7:31 AM, George C said:

Just returned from nyc yesterday went to 4 broadway plays bought tickets to all at half price tkts at Lincoln center , which allows you to buy tonight’s tickets and tomorrow’s maintee tickets , really enjoyed all four, had really good seats for all 4 , row “j” for first 3 and row “g” for last ,  all four have about 7 tony nominations or more ,  first three were musical comedy, preety woman,  prom  and tootsie, hard to figure out which one we liked the best since they were all excellent, last one was Gary, was not sure about this and mixed reviews but we really enjoyed it but may not be for everyone, had great seat row G center orchestra this was in booth theater which has great legroom. We did recommend Prom to some conservative people and they consider it to Gay .  Also saw nightclub show at Feinstein’s 54 below small place that we would highly recommend saw famous star of Saturday night live leaving the place. We had suite at michealanglo which is perfect location for plays. Had some great food at Becco, also had our pizza and pastrami and broke the bank for some appetizers and wine at le Bernardin. Favorite bars were Gallagher’s and upstairs at Sardis . Looking forward to seeing tony awards this weekend . 

Wonderful!  Glad you liked Gary. That's one I'd only recommend to certain people. (I'll actually see in a couple of weeks, but know Taylor Mac's stuff and have read a lot about it). And Tootsie!  You were lucky to get those tickets. It's one of the hits this season and a likely Tony winner for Best Actor and Book.

And, isn't Feinstein's 54 Below special? Their calendar is one that I check when planning a visit to NY. There's a Feinstein's at the Nikko cabaret in SF and we love it. (Saw Chita RIvera a couple of months ago and were directly in front - just a few feet away. Needless to say, she was magnificent!) 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

I will NOT spend $300-500 on a pair of tickets to a Broadway show to hear Becky sing her favorite songs.
I'm an usher in San Francisco. Doing that in my theater will first get you reprimanded. And then removed. Surprised that the Shubert ushers at the Imperial didn't step in.

Wow. No audience member was belting out a song! You could see lips moving and people were softly singing to themselves, certainly not a deal breaker! The guy next to me had a beautiful voice & quietly sang a few lines to a few songs and I was not bothered in the least. The strong voices of those on stage had you captivated. IIRC, the actors encouraged singing to one song, probably My Girl. We have walked out of several Broadway shows, Ain't Too Proud was NOT one of them. I would see it again! 

39 minutes ago, madelinerose said:

Oh, and we're seeing Gary on Wednesday. Ain't Too Proud has 12 nominations. 😉

Enjoy. 

And, although I'm rooting mostly for other shows in the awards, I wish everybody associated with the show (and the others) the best of luck. I know that Jeremy Pope was nominated twice, including for ATP and I've heard raves, both from "normal" audience members and actors who praised brave choices he made in both shows and how excellent his performance was. It played pre-Broadway at Berkeley Rep, but I missed it then. Dammit.

41 minutes ago, madelinerose said:

The Imperial Theater has NO leg room and the wait for the women's restroom at intermission is insane.

Yeah, in general, I love the smaller old Broadway theaters (and I have a special memory of the Imperial, having seen Pippin there with the original cast on a high school trip in 1973), BUT you do yourself a favor by hitting the bathroom (preferably elsewhere) before to avoid the intermission rush and congested lines. And I'm far too old, tall, and cranky to sit upstairs. And will usually go for aisle. (Which is why I buy long in advance. Most often at list prices 😕)

I forget which ones in particular, but I know that at a couple of the Shubert houses, the ushers direct ADA patrons to the Starbucks nearby.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:09 AM, loltastic said:

We will be in NYC next year and I'm hoping the Prom will still be around as my kids would love to see it. 

I think the odds are very good. Especially if it picks up a Tony or two

11 hours ago, madelinerose said:

The Imperial Theater has NO leg room and the wait for the women's restroom at intermission is insane.

I have a list of theaters we will not go to no matter how good the show will be , imperial is high on that list. Terrible leg room.

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Mean Girls the ushers actually practically order you to use the restroom before the show starts. 90% female, many of those young teens and very inadequate facilities. lol 

My husband uses a cane. When we saw Mean Girls last summer, an usher working the line outside saw my husband approaching the queue outside (Remember when you didn't have to queue??) - the usher immediately called to him, made a break in the barriers and took him to a special entrance. The Jujamcyn ushers (August Wilson, Eugene O'Neill, Walter Kerr, Al Hirshfeld, and St James Theaters) are known to be some of the nicest on Broadway. (And I'm told that it's a great company to work for)

About 20 years ago, I went to a Bernadette Peters concert at a SF theater. Not surprisingly, the audience was filled with gay men. During intermission, the line for the Mens Restroom went down the hall and up the stairs. Meanwhile the women were speeding right by with no wait whatsoever. With HUGE smiles on their faces! 😀

These days, I'm an usher myself. One of the main duties at intermission is managing the huge lines for the women's bathrooms. (Our theater was recently remodeled with extra stalls added, but is still hobbled by its 1922 design.) It's always a struggle to manage the huge line and keep it from blocking the lobby or stairs. Three minutes into intermission, it looks like people will never make it in time. But they always do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

About 20 years ago, I went to a Bernadette Peters concert at a SF theater. Not surprisingly, the audience was filled with gay men. During intermission, the line for the Mens Restroom went down the hall and up the stairs. Meanwhile the women were speeding right by with no wait whatsoever. With HUGE smiles on their faces! 😀

Back in the old days, at “women’s music” concerts, it was just the reverse. I was at many venues where we “liberated” the Men’s Room.  :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Was glad that lead actor from tootsie won best actor, someone also mentioned Joe Allen during tony awards where we had dinner 8 days ago. Did not see Hadestown , always so many choices on broadway when we visit. Have front row tickets to see Beautiful in Dallas in two weeks, saw in twice on broadway. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

Was glad that lead actor from tootsie won best actor, someone also mentioned Joe Allen during tony awards where we had dinner 8 days ago. Did not see Hadestown

Joe Allen is always a must-visit when we're in NY. (I always have to add a reminder 1 week beforehand to get a res). Legroom is an issue at the Walter Kerr theater (Hadestown), so I suspect you'll miss it.

7 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Joe Allen is always a must-visit when we're in NY. (I always have to add a reminder 1 week beforehand to get a res). Legroom is an issue at the Walter Kerr theater (Hadestown), so I suspect you'll miss it.

Yes I saw “gentleman guide to love and murder” there which I loved but stood for second half. Love restaurant row that joe Allen’s is on, my cousin was playing with a big  band at swing 46th, and don’t tell mama is always fun. 

• Like 1

Well, no surprise, but "Gary" announced an early closing. Just got floor tickets (we'll be served chili and cornbread) for Oklahoma! instead.

...now waiting to see if Frankie & Johnny closes early (it got great reviews and has the goddess known as Audra McDonald, but box office is dismal). If so, I'll swap in :What the Constitution Means to Me"

Edited by MarkBearSF

15 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

In two and a half weeks.

Great. Can’t wait to read your review. The only show I wish I saw when I had the chance was Brian Cranston in Network. I should have when I had the chance. Maybe I’ll go with my Mom to Kiss Me Kate or Oklahoma. Both look very high quality. I was not impressed with the performance from Cher at all. Maybe because I’m a huge Cher fan and have high expectations for all Broadway shows.