Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
George C

What broadway play?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ams cruiser said:

We're just trying to avoid an evening show that runs late on Wednesday, since we have to leave our hotel at 4 in the morning! So I was thinking a Wed. matinee might be better.

Yes,I agree.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ams cruiser said:

Wow, truly half price!  The "Ain-t too proud" TKTS are showing up today at 20% off.

 

1 minute ago, ams cruiser said:

Wow, truly half price!  The "Ain-t too proud" TKTS are showing up today at 20% off.

We belong to a Theater club.We go to 6 shows between September and June and we get a group rate. When we saw To Kill A Mockingbird we had Orchestra seats,direct center $129.

We have tickets for Tina ,April 29,2020,Orchestra seats $100.They are always direct center.We have tickets for West Side Story ,May 20,2020 Orchestra seats $110 each.

We have been going with this group since 2015 and seats have always been great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Speaking of Hamilton— a first for us last night: a Hamilton song on a cruise ship!  My wife and I are on the Celebrity Summit right now, and last night we went to the Broadway Cabaret show — the six singers from the production cast singing show tunes. The usual mix of Les Miz, Phantom, etc.  

 

To our great surprise, midway through the show, one of the singers introduced the next song as having been written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, whom he described as the genius behind In the Heights and a newer show called Hamilton, from which the next song came. My wife and I and a few others applauded, but otherwise there was silence from the nearly 1000 people in the packed theatre. (Do they live under a rock?) He then sang The Room Where It Happens, with the other singers filling the ensemble roll.  He did a great job, and the song was well staged and presented for a cruise ship. My wife and I were so happy that Hamilton has made its way onto a cruise ship! 

That's fantastic! I would have love to have been there.  Was the song received well by the others in the theater?  (It's one of the few numbers that isn't rap, if I am remembering correctly.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

 

We belong to a Theater club.We go to 6 shows between September and June and we get a group rate. When we saw To Kill A Mockingbird we had Orchestra seats,direct center $129.

We have tickets for Tina ,April 29,2020,Orchestra seats $100.They are always direct center.We have tickets for West Side Story ,May 20,2020 Orchestra seats $110 each.

We have been going with this group since 2015 and seats have always been great.

If I lived in NYC, I would love to belong to a theater club like this.  I would go all the time.  (And probably end up in the poor house!)  😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ams cruiser said:

If I lived in NYC, I would love to belong to a theater club like this.  I would go all the time.  (And probably end up in the poor house!)  😉

 

We are in a suburb ,a relatively small town of 32,000 people .My wife and I are both retired and we do several day long trips with this organization as well.

When we lived in NYC we were working and did not get to the theater that often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lsok said:

So many plays-- so little time!  We are in NYC for 3 nights pre cruise on October 16, 17 & 18.  I am really confused as to the best way to get tickets-- We arrive late (4:30) on the 16th so we are not planning on a play that night, but would like to see Come From Away or Hamilton or ??.  How does the lottery work and is it too early for us to enter?  I saw that Come From Away is available at TKTS-- but there are 4 or 5 different choices, many include a social media account.  Can tickets only be purchaced at TKTS the day of or the day before the performance?

 

I am a novice at this, so appreciate being "walked through" the ticket buying process.

I'm just learning, and I've gotten a lot of good advice here, including downloading the TKTS app, to see what is available.  We are planning on going to the Seaport booth which apparently opens at 11 a.m. (vs noon at Times Square and Lincoln Center), to get same day tickets and matinee for the next day, thus saving ourself a trip the next day.  

 

I live in the SF Bay Area, and won 2 $10 tickets to see Hamilton this past Sunday by entering online through the Hamilton app. Through this app (or through the website), you can enter in lotteries in NYC, SF, Philadelphia, London, and Chicago, among others, I believe.  If you are a winner, you have to purchase the tickets by 4 p.m. for the show the following day.  The odds of winning this way depend on the number of people who enter each day, but I read somewhere that they are around 100 to 1.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ams cruiser said:

That's fantastic! I would have love to have been there.  Was the song received well by the others in the theater?  (It's one of the few numbers that isn't rap, if I am remembering correctly.)

 

I think it was well-received.  (A great deal of Hamilton isn’t rap.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

 

I think it was well-received.  (A great deal of Hamilton isn’t rap.) 

Glad to hear that people liked it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

 

I think it was well-received.  (A great deal of Hamilton isn’t rap.) 

 

Was there any context? It's a great number, but it occurs within a certain context in the play. And, it's one of my favorite numbers (and one of the easiest to remember!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ams cruiser said:

I'm just learning, and I've gotten a lot of good advice here, including downloading the TKTS app, to see what is available.  We are planning on going to the Seaport booth which apparently opens at 11 a.m. (vs noon at Times Square and Lincoln Center), to get same day tickets and matinee for the next day, thus saving ourself a trip the next day.  

 

I live in the SF Bay Area, and won 2 $10 tickets to see Hamilton this past Sunday by entering online through the Hamilton app. Through this app (or through the website), you can enter in lotteries in NYC, SF, Philadelphia, London, and Chicago, among others, I believe.  If you are a winner, you have to purchase the tickets by 4 p.m. for the show the following day.  The odds of winning this way depend on the number of people who enter each day, but I read somewhere that they are around 100 to 1.

 

 

My 2 best friends from HS whom I am still in contact with are now living in Berkeley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, markeb said:

 

Was there any context? It's a great number, but it occurs within a certain context in the play. And, it's one of my favorite numbers (and one of the easiest to remember!).

 

Just a very brief sentence about Burr.  There’s really no context to any of the songs sung in these little cruise ship concerts. They are less than an hour long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My 2 best friends from HS whom I am still in contact with are now living in Berkeley.

I grew up in Berkeley, and returned to the Bay Area after finishing college.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

I grew up in Berkeley, and returned to the Bay Area after finishing college.  

The first time I was in Berkeley was in 1970.I also went to Sausalito and loved both areas but not enough to leave NY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought tickets for Come From Away -- 7pm on a Thursday evening performance in 2 weeks.  Any suggestions for a restaurant close to the theater? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have a budget?  Types of food you prefer or prefer to avoid?

 

There are over 200 restaurants within a 15 minute walk of there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lsok said:

Just bought tickets for Come From Away -- 7pm on a Thursday evening performance in 2 weeks.  Any suggestions for a restaurant close to the theater? 

 

We love Becco on 46th between 8th and 9th great food , very reasonable price

 

he is a thread with many restaurants in the area both Italian and others

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 7:15 PM, ibwig said:

 

Thank you for posting that link.  I'm going to see Come from Away this weekend.

I assume you will be there today or tomorrow.Please post your opinion of the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2018 at 4:17 PM, George C said:

we Will be in nyc in 4 weeks, have tickets for wicked, Hamilton and Springsteen are not in our price range, have seen beautiful a couple of times, also have seen Bronx tale, kinky boots, waitress, Book of Mormon, jersey boys,. What else is good?

 

On 4/29/2018 at 2:26 PM, George C said:

Everyone I have talked to that saw Come From Away said it was great

I’ve seen a lot and I agree about Come From Away being the best.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Come From Away in April.........I agree, it was AWESOME, FANTASTIC........FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There must be over a dozen people talk about Come from away on this thread , and we all seem to agree it is a great play. Might need to see it a second time on our next visit. Now a days we need a feel good show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, George C said:

There must be over a dozen people talk about Come from away on this thread , and we all seem to agree it is a great play. Might need to see it a second time on our next visit. Now a days we need a feel good show. 

I saw Les Mis three times,Man of LaMancha twice,The Fantastiks twice and Oklahoma twice.I would definitely go to see Come From Away a second time and also The Bands Visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw fantastiks 3 times in 3 different decades, Hair 4 times but just once on broadway. Beautiful 3 times . Gentlemen guide to love and murder twice. Seeing a original play about Texas governor Ann Richards next week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 8:15 PM, George C said:

I saw fantastiks 3 times in 3 different decades, Hair 4 times but just once on broadway. Beautiful 3 times . Gentlemen guide to love and murder twice. Seeing a original play about Texas governor Ann Richards next week. 

I saw Fantastiks In the 70’s and again in 2007.My wife saw the original production of Hair,as did I and she saw one again recently. I heard about the play about Ann Richards.I believe it stars Holland Taylor.It should be very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...