What broadway play?

George C

1 minute ago, ams cruiser said:

Wow, truly half price!  The "Ain-t too proud" TKTS are showing up today at 20% off.

Wow, truly half price!  The "Ain-t too proud" TKTS are showing up today at 20% off.

We belong to a Theater club.We go to 6 shows between September and June and we get a group rate. When we saw To Kill A Mockingbird we had Orchestra seats,direct center $129.

We have tickets for Tina ,April 29,2020,Orchestra seats $100.They are always direct center.We have tickets for West Side Story ,May 20,2020 Orchestra seats $110 each.

We have been going with this group since 2015 and seats have always been great.

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Speaking of Hamilton— a first for us last night: a Hamilton song on a cruise ship!  My wife and I are on the Celebrity Summit right now, and last night we went to the Broadway Cabaret show — the six singers from the production cast singing show tunes. The usual mix of Les Miz, Phantom, etc.  

To our great surprise, midway through the show, one of the singers introduced the next song as having been written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, whom he described as the genius behind In the Heights and a newer show called Hamilton, from which the next song came. My wife and I and a few others applauded, but otherwise there was silence from the nearly 1000 people in the packed theatre. (Do they live under a rock?) He then sang The Room Where It Happens, with the other singers filling the ensemble roll.  He did a great job, and the song was well staged and presented for a cruise ship. My wife and I were so happy that Hamilton has made its way onto a cruise ship! 

That's fantastic! I would have love to have been there.  Was the song received well by the others in the theater?  (It's one of the few numbers that isn't rap, if I am remembering correctly.)

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

We belong to a Theater club.We go to 6 shows between September and June and we get a group rate. When we saw To Kill A Mockingbird we had Orchestra seats,direct center $129.

We have tickets for Tina ,April 29,2020,Orchestra seats $100.They are always direct center.We have tickets for West Side Story ,May 20,2020 Orchestra seats $110 each.

We have been going with this group since 2015 and seats have always been great.

If I lived in NYC, I would love to belong to a theater club like this.  I would go all the time.  (And probably end up in the poor house!)  😉

If I lived in NYC, I would love to belong to a theater club like this.  I would go all the time.  (And probably end up in the poor house!)  😉

We are in a suburb ,a relatively small town of 32,000 people .My wife and I are both retired and we do several day long trips with this organization as well.

When we lived in NYC we were working and did not get to the theater that often.

2 hours ago, lsok said:

So many plays-- so little time!  We are in NYC for 3 nights pre cruise on October 16, 17 & 18.  I am really confused as to the best way to get tickets-- We arrive late (4:30) on the 16th so we are not planning on a play that night, but would like to see Come From Away or Hamilton or ??.  How does the lottery work and is it too early for us to enter?  I saw that Come From Away is available at TKTS-- but there are 4 or 5 different choices, many include a social media account.  Can tickets only be purchaced at TKTS the day of or the day before the performance?

I am a novice at this, so appreciate being "walked through" the ticket buying process.

I'm just learning, and I've gotten a lot of good advice here, including downloading the TKTS app, to see what is available.  We are planning on going to the Seaport booth which apparently opens at 11 a.m. (vs noon at Times Square and Lincoln Center), to get same day tickets and matinee for the next day, thus saving ourself a trip the next day.  

I live in the SF Bay Area, and won 2 $10 tickets to see Hamilton this past Sunday by entering online through the Hamilton app. Through this app (or through the website), you can enter in lotteries in NYC, SF, Philadelphia, London, and Chicago, among others, I believe.  If you are a winner, you have to purchase the tickets by 4 p.m. for the show the following day.  The odds of winning this way depend on the number of people who enter each day, but I read somewhere that they are around 100 to 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ams cruiser said:

That's fantastic! I would have love to have been there.  Was the song received well by the others in the theater?  (It's one of the few numbers that isn't rap, if I am remembering correctly.)

I think it was well-received.  (A great deal of Hamilton isn’t rap.) 

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I think it was well-received.  (A great deal of Hamilton isn’t rap.) 

Was there any context? It's a great number, but it occurs within a certain context in the play. And, it's one of my favorite numbers (and one of the easiest to remember!).

5 hours ago, ams cruiser said:

I'm just learning, and I've gotten a lot of good advice here, including downloading the TKTS app, to see what is available.  We are planning on going to the Seaport booth which apparently opens at 11 a.m. (vs noon at Times Square and Lincoln Center), to get same day tickets and matinee for the next day, thus saving ourself a trip the next day.  

I live in the SF Bay Area, and won 2 $10 tickets to see Hamilton this past Sunday by entering online through the Hamilton app. Through this app (or through the website), you can enter in lotteries in NYC, SF, Philadelphia, London, and Chicago, among others, I believe.  If you are a winner, you have to purchase the tickets by 4 p.m. for the show the following day.  The odds of winning this way depend on the number of people who enter each day, but I read somewhere that they are around 100 to 1.

My 2 best friends from HS whom I am still in contact with are now living in Berkeley.

6 hours ago, markeb said:

Was there any context? It's a great number, but it occurs within a certain context in the play. And, it's one of my favorite numbers (and one of the easiest to remember!).

Just a very brief sentence about Burr.  There’s really no context to any of the songs sung in these little cruise ship concerts. They are less than an hour long. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, lsok said:

Just bought tickets for Come From Away -- 7pm on a Thursday evening performance in 2 weeks.  Any suggestions for a restaurant close to the theater? 

We love Becco on 46th between 8th and 9th great food , very reasonable price

he is a thread with many restaurants in the area both Italian and others

On 10/2/2019 at 8:59 PM, sparkle said:

For the Come From Away fans (and future fans), NPR had a Tiny Desk Concert last month. Here is a link

: Watch Come From Away Play The Tiny Desk : NPR
https://www.npr.org/2019/09/11/758080813/come-from-away-tiny-desk-concert

Thank you for posting that link.  I'm going to see Come from Away this weekend.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 4:17 PM, George C said:

we Will be in nyc in 4 weeks, have tickets for wicked, Hamilton and Springsteen are not in our price range, have seen beautiful a couple of times, also have seen Bronx tale, kinky boots, waitress, Book of Mormon, jersey boys,. What else is good?

On 4/29/2018 at 2:26 PM, George C said:

Everyone I have talked to that saw Come From Away said it was great

I’ve seen a lot and I agree about Come From Away being the best.  

10 hours ago, George C said:

There must be over a dozen people talk about Come from away on this thread , and we all seem to agree it is a great play. Might need to see it a second time on our next visit. Now a days we need a feel good show. 

I saw Les Mis three times,Man of LaMancha twice,The Fantastiks twice and Oklahoma twice.I would definitely go to see Come From Away a second time and also The Bands Visit.

On 10/15/2019 at 8:15 PM, George C said:

I saw fantastiks 3 times in 3 different decades, Hair 4 times but just once on broadway. Beautiful 3 times . Gentlemen guide to love and murder twice. Seeing a original play about Texas governor Ann Richards next week. 

I saw Fantastiks In the 70’s and again in 2007.My wife saw the original production of Hair,as did I and she saw one again recently. I heard about the play about Ann Richards.I believe it stars Holland Taylor.It should be very good.