What broadway play?

George C

3 hours ago, George C said:

We are seeing the play “Once” again tomorrow afternoon in Dallas they will have a bar setup on the stage and you can go up before play starts and at intermission and order a drink 😁, we will definitely have one . Really good play . 

Hope “kill a mockingbird “ is still playing on our next nyc visit. 

I loved ONCE.I saw the play,the movie and I have the CD of the show.

18 hours ago, George C said:

Once was great very talented touring company would highly recommend seeing it ,next play will be Christmas Carol in a few weeks also in Dallas but a local production. 

I go to theaters in New Jersey and Long Island and the productions are usually quite good.

Did anyone ever see Peter and the Starcatcher, on Bwy or elsewhere? A local theater is doing a production over the holidays, and we are thinking of taking visiting relatives. We are taking everyone to see the Lion King touring production that will be here, but this show caught my eye for another evening. Also, would it be suitable for a 12 yr old?

9 hours ago, sparkle said:

Did anyone ever see Peter and the Starcatcher, on Bwy or elsewhere? A local theater is doing a production over the holidays, and we are thinking of taking visiting relatives. We are taking everyone to see the Lion King touring production that will be here, but this show caught my eye for another evening. Also, would it be suitable for a 12 yr old?

Never saw that,sorry.

On 11/26/2019 at 7:53 AM, sparkle said:

It's wonderfully appropriate for a 12 year old. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's a retelling of the Peter Pan story, more from Hook's perspective, that leans heavily on the "let's put on a show" attitude with simple props. In many way, the antithesis of a spectacle like Lion King - and therefore, a nice companion show. (and an appropriate one for a talented local company). Finally, it leans heavily on broad humor which would be great for a 12 year old (I'm sure there's at least one fart joke in there) 

(We saw the first national tour a few years ago)

Edited by MarkBearSF

For Les Miz fans who may not have noticed the ads, there will be in-cinema screenings on Dec. 8 and Dec. 11 in the U.S. of the fully staged concert version of Les Miz from the Gielgud Theatre in London, where it is wrapping up a four-month totally sold out run.  An all-star cast, including Michael Ball, the original Marius, quite grown up now and playing Javert, and Alfie Boe returning as Valjean.

Reserved seats are being sold now.  

https://officiallondontheatre.com/show/les-miserables-the-all-star-staged-concert-111416095/

Thanks MarkBear!! I will definitely get tickets for it. Most of DH's family knows when they come up to visit I will be taking them to some shows and/or to hear live music, but I really try to find things they all will enjoy. This sounds great, the tix are 1/3 the price of a touring production, and I get to support local theater. Can't beat that! Thanks again!

On 11/30/2019 at 2:36 AM, Nitemare said:

Little Shop has extended into March. No Groff but still worth it.

I can't stand Once. But my wife likes it and an old friend of hers is in the touring cast, so . . .

I enjoyed Once because I am a huge fan of Glen Hansard and Irish folk singers in general.

21 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I enjoyed Once because I am a huge fan of Glen Hansard and Irish folk singers in general.

I put Once in the category of The Mumfordization of America.

We love Celtic music and enjoy groups like the Young Dubliners, but she likes Once and Mumfords, and I just don't.

5 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I put Once in the category of The Mumfordization of America.

We love Celtic music and enjoy groups like the Young Dubliners, but she likes Once and Mumfords, and I just don't.

I was a huge fan of Tommy Makem.I saw him live in concert several times.

• 1 month later...

Just back from London. We saw Hamilton on the 28th and Come From Away on the 1st. Yes, those are both repeats...

The London production of Hamilton is incredible! They have quite a bit of movement in the ensemble, but all the actors were amazing. We had much better seats for better prices than in New York, and the second time through you can kind of keep track of what's going on! We both loved it (again).

Come From Away plays at least as well in the West End as on Broadway. It was a little interesting, as you heard a number of American accents in the crowd, but plenty of Brits (French, etc.) as well. This was likewise a great production. We had forgotten how much (probably 10-15 minutes max, but more than you realize) spoken word was in the play (and not in the cast recording). The cast was very good, and a couple of the characters almost seemed more "right" than the original Broadway cast, in a bizarre sort of way. One minor dialog change towards the end from Tom Brokaw to Oprah Winfrey (I'd seen that online) as Tom apparently didn't play well to a UK audience. We left the theater reminded why we've put Come From Away on our all time list of great musicals!

We'd originally contemplated getting tickets to a third show (probably Les Mis), but ultimately didn't. 

The seating at the Victoria Palace for Hamilton is probably the most bizarre I've ever seen. The seats in the Royal Circle were almost completely vertical. Good rise between rows, but your feet are hitting about waist high on the nearly vertical seat back in front of you. I'm only about 5'8", but it was strange. I'm not sure I'd want to sit there if I was much taller. We didn't go down to the stalls, so I'm not sure how those were set.

We need to start looking for something new on Broadway now!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markeb said:

Just back from London. We saw Hamilton on the 28th and Come From Away on the 1st. Yes, those are both repeats...

The London production of Hamilton is incredible! They have quite a bit of movement in the ensemble, but all the actors were amazing. We had much better seats for better prices than in New York, and the second time through you can kind of keep track of what's going on! We both loved it (again).

Come From Away plays at least as well in the West End as on Broadway. It was a little interesting, as you heard a number of American accents in the crowd, but plenty of Brits (French, etc.) as well. This was likewise a great production. We had forgotten how much (probably 10-15 minutes max, but more than you realize) spoken word was in the play (and not in the cast recording). The cast was very good, and a couple of the characters almost seemed more "right" than the original Broadway cast, in a bizarre sort of way. One minor dialog change towards the end from Tom Brokaw to Oprah Winfrey (I'd seen that online) as Tom apparently didn't play well to a UK audience. We left the theater reminded why we've put Come From Away on our all time list of great musicals!

We'd originally contemplated getting tickets to a third show (probably Les Mis), but ultimately didn't. 

The seating at the Victoria Palace for Hamilton is probably the most bizarre I've ever seen. The seats in the Royal Circle were almost completely vertical. Good rise between rows, but your feet are hitting about waist high on the nearly vertical seat back in front of you. I'm only about 5'8", but it was strange. I'm not sure I'd want to sit there if I was much taller. We didn't go down to the stalls, so I'm not sure how those were set.

We need to start looking for something new on Broadway now!

Glad you had such a great time at the theatre in London!  Your post really resonated with me on several levels.  We just saw Come From Away the other night (for the second time) on Broadway, and consider it to be one of the most exceptional shows ever.  I totally agree with you about it being on the all time list of great musicals.

As for Hamilton in London, that’s the place where we first saw (and fell in love with) that other truly exceptional show, and we thought the production there was fabulous. Having seen the show three more times since (all in the U.S.), we still remain bowled over by London.  (We were lucky enough to have seen Giles Terrera, who won the Olivier Award for playing Burr.  He was extraordinary.). Like you, we had seats in the Royal Circle, which were absolutely perfect except for the total lack of leg room.  Trust me, if you were taller, you would have been in crippling pain by the end of the show. 

As for repeat viewings of Hamilton, it’s great fun to pay attention to odds and ends, like what happens to the rope that is attached from the center rafters to the front right of the stage (theatre right) at the beginning of the show.  😀

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Glad you had such a great time at the theatre in London!  Your post really resonated with me on several levels.  We just saw Come From Away the other night (for the second time) on Broadway, and consider it to be one of the most exceptional shows ever.  I totally agree with you about it being on the all time list of great musicals.

As for Hamilton in London, that’s the place where we first saw (and fell in love with) that other truly exceptional show, and we thought the production there was fabulous. Having seen the show three more times since (all in the U.S.), we still remain bowled over by London.  (We were lucky enough to have seen Giles Terrera, who won the Olivier Award for playing Burr.  He was extraordinary.). Like you, we had seats in the Royal Circle, which were absolutely perfect except for the total lack of leg room.  Trust me, if you were taller, you would have been in crippling pain by the end of the show. 

As for repeat viewings of Hamilton, it’s great fun to pay attention to odds and ends, like what happens to the rope that is attached from the center rafters to the front right of the stage (theatre right) at the beginning of the show.  😀

Well, crap! I guess I have to see it again to follow the rope!

We were blown away in London! The West End (Hamilton is not in the West End, of course) is just so amazing in general, but the production of Hamilton was off the charts. Had a brief conversation with a couple of Brits beside us as I'm completely tearing up listening to "Who live who dies who tells your story" and the complete absence in US history of an amazing woman, second only (marginally) to Abigail Adams in Eliza Hamilton. And, yes, I've read her story for real. How does that woman not feature more prominently in American history??? Until the last five minutes of Hamilton, I'd never heard her story!

How does a bastard, orphan, son of a ...

• Like 1

Just booked our nyc hotels for our annual May trip, I see that I can get some decent orchestra tickets for 239 each , how is the leg room in. Richard Rogers theater, some many of the current plays I would want to see are at theaters with terrible leg room, like imperial and golden. I am 6’ 4”, thanks. Love that this thread is still open with great updates.

George, we were all the way in the back mezzanine at Richard Rogers. It was tight up there. I don't know about the orchestra.

Yeah, this has been a fun thread for a long time. There's an interesting group of theater fans here!

• Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 5:06 PM, George C said:

Just booked our nyc hotels for our annual May trip, I see that I can get some decent orchestra tickets for 239 each , how is the leg room in. Richard Rogers theater, some many of the current plays I would want to see are at theaters with terrible leg room, like imperial and golden. I am 6’ 4”, thanks. Love that this thread is still open with great updates.

I am 6’5.I very rarely find theaters with leg room.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:57 PM, Nitemare said:

Once you follow the rope, start paying attention to the back wall of the set.  Mostly during intermission.

Tough for us women who have to spend most of intermission on line for the ladies room. 😆

(But yes, the back wall does change for Act II.)

21 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Tough for us women who have to spend most of intermission on line for the ladies room. 😆

(But yes, the back wall does change for Act II.)

Subtley, but it does.

We watched it 4 times before we could discern the change.