Looking forward to my 1st cruise

JMARBED

I wanted to thank all the folks who post to this board...I have gained a lot of insight and am SO looking forward to my first Cruise on Jewel of the Seas..Your thoughtful comments and reviews have made me even more exictied. I will be sure to share any comments and reviews after my 8 days/ :)

:) You certainly were lucky to find Cruise Critic before sailing on your 1st. We didn't find CC until we got back off our 1st on Grand Princess. So, for us it was trial and error and a lot of the latter(errors). We flew down on the very day that we sailed. First error. We booked thru the cruise lines our transfers. 2nd error. That's the major ones I can think of that really caused us lots of stress. Anyway, CC and all their members will help you in oh so many ways. And they're gracious in doing so.

So, continue to monitor the boards, and don't forget to go to the "Ports of Call" boards and see what's available there.

Have fun and enjoy.

Mike & Nancy!!

Mike&Nancy....thanks for the kind words. We are good on the two things you mentioned...I'm flying down from DC on the Friday before our departure--didn't want a late Feb snowstorm to hold me up. I ended up with a good deal on Spirit Air out of DCA for less than 200..I paid more than that to trek out to IAD and pay for parking etc when I went to SAV for the holidays. Mom and Dad are driving from GA on Friday as well. Got a reservation at the FLL Hampton Inn, kinda pricey so I'm going to keep looking out for a better deal. I know Ft. Lauderdale can be tight that time of year.

We will drive ourselves to the terminal ... I've read about the fly/drive parking but don't think it would be worth the hassle.

We will smuggle some wine like I've read about but I've pre-ordered some bubbly and chinanti (sp) that will be waiting as well (can never be too prepared).

Would love to hear any other comments from recent Jewel of the Seas cruisers.....Eastern route.

thanks and HNY ;>)

Deb..thanks.... I am sure it will be a blast!

Got a reservation at the FLL Hampton Inn, kinda pricey so I'm going to keep looking out for a better deal.

We will smuggle some wine like I've read about but I've pre-ordered some bubbly and chinanti (sp) that will be waiting as well (can never be too prepared).

For all my hotel needs, I go to www.biddingfortravel.com and get some insight on what comes up and tips on bidding on priceline. I've gotten Miami and FLL hotels that go for $250 and up a night for $45 a night. Doing this, I feel like I save enough money to extend vacation most times both before and after cruise. It's a little work, but definately worth it.

You'll be driving to port and along with your wine I'd also get some water and soda when you get there, on your way to the port maybe. Nice to have in room and water for excursions. Just take a small bag of some kind, put it in there, and check with your luggage when you get to ship.

Have fun on your first cruise, but be prepared, you'll be an addict like the rest of us and you'll be planning your next one in your mind before you even get off your first ship!

I know you'll have a wonderful first cruise! I was fortunate, too, to have found this board prior to our first cruise. The people here were so helpful, even when my questions were covered before (I had not mastered the search button yet :) )

Anyway, I know it sounds crazy, but I cried on the way home in the car when the cruise was over. My husband definitely thought I was crazy. Next thing I knew, I was booking and saving for our next cruise (Sept 2006).

Have fun!

I know you'll have a wonderful first cruise! I was fortunate, too, to have found this board prior to our first cruise. The people here were so helpful, even when my questions were covered before (I had not mastered the search button yet :) )

Anyway, I know it sounds crazy, but I cried on the way home in the car when the cruise was over. My husband definitely thought I was crazy. Next thing I knew, I was booking and saving for our next cruise (Sept 2006).

Have fun!

First, Have a great time. It will be ONE cruise you will never forget but it will also be only one of many. Enjoy!!!

Sha88--Where will you be cruising Sept. 2006? We have a Hawaii one that month

Judy

I cancelled the Hampton Inn reservation and went with 17th St. Extended Stay America ($140---60 bucks less than Hampton) since it was recommended on here and is really close by to the port. No luck with Priceline bidding. I ended up in Ft. Lauderdale without a hotel reservation last Feb...so I know how tight it can be this time of year.

thanks again for all the good advice and kind words!!!

Hi JMARBED! We also found this board before taking our first cruise and I agree -- what a BIG help! Just got back about a week ago (sailed Enchantment OTS 12/19 - Western Caribbean). You are going to have a great time! It was such a great experience -- I'm sorry that we didn't trying cruising sooner! I guarantee that you'll be planning your next cruise before you get back home! (Like sha88, I was sad when the cruise ended -- but I booked another one within a week!) ;) We're going to sail Navigator OTS next December.

Getting on/off the ship at Pt. Everglades was pretty easy. One thing I noticed while collecting our luggage in the terminal at the end of the cruise -- using a porter got us to the head of the customs line! We were outside on the curb in no time! The porters will even take your bags over to the parking garage (the traffic was a little chaotic at the pier that morning -- we decided to just walk across the street to the garage instead of having someone bring the car around). The small extra expense was well worth it!

Have a great time!

Judy

Hi, Judy. We will be going on the 7-day cruise to Bermuda on the Empress. I know it's a smaller ship, but from everything I have read on this board, it's a great ship. Our first ship was the Grandeur.

What port are you leaving from for the Hawaii cruise?

Hi JMARBED! We also found this board before taking our first cruise and I agree -- what a BIG help! Just got back about a week ago (sailed Enchantment OTS 12/19 - Western Caribbean). You are going to have a great time! It was such a great experience -- I'm sorry that we didn't trying cruising sooner! I guarantee that you'll be planning your next cruise before you get back home! (Like sha88, I was sad when the cruise ended -- but I booked another one within a week!) ;) We're going to sail Navigator OTS next December.

Getting on/off the ship at Pt. Everglades was pretty easy. One thing I noticed while collecting our luggage in the terminal at the end of the cruise -- using a porter got us to the head of the customs line! We were outside on the curb in no time! The porters will even take your bags over to the parking garage (the traffic was a little chaotic at the pier that morning -- we decided to just walk across the street to the garage instead of having someone bring the car around). The small extra expense was well worth it!

Have a great time!

Seminole Mom, THANKS...we will be sure to use the porters. I scheduled a later flight back but may be able to reschedule if I get to FLL sooner.

Judy

Hi, Judy. We will be going on the 7-day cruise to Bermuda on the Empress. I know it's a smaller ship, but from everything I have read on this board, it's a great ship. Our first ship was the Grandeur.

What port are you leaving from for the Hawaii cruise?

We are now leaving out of Los Angeles. When we booked this cruise it was leaving out of San Diego. It is a 14 day round trip. Really looking forward to it. We were on the Grandeur several years ago. It was a great ship.

Judy

We have been on 18 cruises and Jewel of the Seas is the most beautiful ship we've been on. Excellent choice for your first cruise. What deck and cabin? We were on deck 9, cabin 9216. We prefer toward the back of the ship because the traffic flow is only people who have cabins in that area. We were on Jewel Dec. 11-17. Have a wonderful time and savor every moment.

Betty

We have been on 18 cruises and Jewel of the Seas is the most beautiful ship we've been on. Excellent choice for your first cruise. What deck and cabin? We were on deck 9, cabin 9216. We prefer toward the back of the ship because the traffic flow is only people who have cabins in that area. We were on Jewel Dec. 11-17. Have a wonderful time and savor every moment.

Betty

Betty, wow the best of 18...what an endorsement! we are on deck 10, cabin 1532 it is toward the front. I went with the GS for the extra room since there will be 3 adults.

Did anyone do the 8 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise? I'm wondering what would be the best night to go to Chops? From the boards it sounds like Caribbean night is the night but not sure what day that will be.

We are now leaving out of Los Angeles. When we booked this cruise it was leaving out of San Diego. It is a 14 day round trip. Really looking forward to it. We were on the Grandeur several years ago. It was a great ship.

Judy

A year ago, before going on a cruise, I would have thought, wow, how could anyone want to cruise for 14 days.... Now, It is my dream!

Archived