Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
PelicanLvr

Beachwalk from Sandcastle to Sandy Point?

Recommended Posts

DW and I love a good long beach walk. Is it possible to walk along the beach from Sandcastle Beach to Sandy Point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DW and I love a good long beach walk. Is it possible to walk along the beach from Sandcastle Beach to Sandy Point?

 

Not sure you'll be able to stick to the beach the whole way as it gets a bit rocky but you can stay close to the road through the rough patches. It's about 2 miles so plan ahead but yes I think it's possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for the info. Sandy Point looks like a beautiful stretch of sand and would love to see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks so much for the info. Sandy Point looks like a beautiful stretch of sand and would love to see it.

 

It's absolutely gorgeous in person, it's actually where they filmed the end of Shawshank Redemption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done it. It's sand so it's going to be tiring. Also, no amenities once you get into the protected area. Nothing but sand and sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've done it. It's sand so it's going to be tiring. Also, no amenities once you get into the protected area. Nothing but sand and sea.

 

I figured if anyone had it would be you lol.

I was out there on Saturday and the walk from the parking lot out to the beach was enough for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW....Sandy Point is SPECTACULAR!!

 

I am the OP on this thread and just returned from our cruise.  Yes Sandcastle to Sandy Point is walkable and a great one at that!

 

We took a shuttle (runs every 15 minutes) to Sandcastle Resort.  Very inexpensive...fare was (I think) $7 round-trip.  It's only  a mile or 2 from the pier.  You got a ticket for your return and the vans ran dependably when we wanted to leave around 2:30 pm.

 

Walk into the resort and you pass the front desk.  It was $10 pp and you got a wrist band and went onto the beach.  No reservation needed and we did not arrive until after 10 am.

 

Very friendly beach fellow set us up with chairs and umbrella.  Tell him you want to be in the front row and take good care of him.....he will take care good of you.  

 

After a few hours we set out to walk to Sandy point.  What a great (aka long) walk.  About two miles each way in the soft sand.  Took almost an hour each way.  It was not easy...but a good walk along a lovely empty beach.

 

WOW......What a reward to get to Sandy Point.  We have been a few places (including Australia, New Zealand Fiji, Hawaii, Tahiti) ....Sandy Point is perhaps the most beautiful beach we have ever seen!  The electric glacial blue color of the water is indescribable and the beach goes on and on!  I see why the last scene of Shawshank Redemption was filmed here.

 

Warning: There is absolutely no shade at Sandy Point.  You must bring you own.  Had read that due to turtle nests you could not plant umbrellas in the sand, but everyone there was doing it.  

 

Next Time:  Taxi to Sandy Point and set out on our walk from there.   We have a travel umbrella for some shade.

 

Even if you don't walk to it.....try to see Sandy Point.  Maybe take a taxi to Sandy Point to see it and spend the rest of the day at Sandcastle as Sandcastle is about 1/2 way between the pier and  Sandy Point.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 9:32 AM, PelicanLvr said:

WOW....Sandy Point is SPECTACULAR!!

 

I am the OP on this thread and just returned from our cruise.  Yes Sandcastle to Sandy Point is walkable and a great one at that!

 

We took a shuttle (runs every 15 minutes) to Sandcastle Resort.  Very inexpensive...fare was (I think) $7 round-trip.  It's only  a mile or 2 from the pier.  You got a ticket for your return and the vans ran dependably when we wanted to leave around 2:30 pm.

 

Walk into the resort and you pass the front desk.  It was $10 pp and you got a wrist band and went onto the beach.  No reservation needed and we did not arrive until after 10 am.

 

Very friendly beach fellow set us up with chairs and umbrella.  Tell him you want to be in the front row and take good care of him.....he will take care good of you.  

 

After a few hours we set out to walk to Sandy point.  What a great (aka long) walk.  About two miles each way in the soft sand.  Took almost an hour each way.  It was not easy...but a good walk along a lovely empty beach.

 

WOW......What a reward to get to Sandy Point.  We have been a few places (including Australia, New Zealand Fiji, Hawaii, Tahiti) ....Sandy Point is perhaps the most beautiful beach we have ever seen!  The electric glacial blue color of the water is indescribable and the beach goes on and on!  I see why the last scene of Shawshank Redemption was filmed here.

 

Warning: There is absolutely no shade at Sandy Point.  You must bring you own.  Had read that due to turtle nests you could not plant umbrellas in the sand, but everyone there was doing it.  

 

Next Time:  Taxi to Sandy Point and set out on our walk from there.   We have a travel umbrella for some shade.

 

Even if you don't walk to it.....try to see Sandy Point.  Maybe take a taxi to Sandy Point to see it and spend the rest of the day at Sandcastle as Sandcastle is about 1/2 way between the pier and  Sandy Point.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Great information. 
Was planning on going to SandCastle in Nov. Where did you pick up the shuttle? Was it clearly marked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Laney219 said:

Great information. 
Was planning on going to SandCastle in Nov. Where did you pick up the shuttle? Was it clearly marked?

 

No worries....They make it easy. 

 

We went to 10 ports in 10 days so I might be mixing up ports in my mind a bit.....Walk to the end of the pier to the "taxi people" and just ask.  No, there were no signs, but the folks are very friendly and easy to talk to.  Just say "HI, we want to go to Sandcastle"  I think we were directed to a desk off to the right where you bought your ticket. 

 

That "desk person" told you the "drill" and a group of 7 or 8 were put together for the short ride.  Very easy!  Tip the driver each way because you will probably not have the same driver going back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, PelicanLvr said:

 

No worries....They make it easy. 

 

We went to 10 ports in 10 days so I might be mixing up ports in my mind a bit.....Walk to the end of the pier to the "taxi people" and just ask.  No, there were no signs, but the folks are very friendly and easy to talk to.  Just say "HI, we want to go to Sandcastle"  I think we were directed to a desk off to the right where you bought your ticket. 

 

That "desk person" told you the "drill" and a group of 7 or 8 were put together for the short ride.  Very easy!  Tip the driver each way because you will probably not have the same driver going back.  

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent info! I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves. They really are not supposed to stab umbrellas into the beach there but people certainly do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great info. Many thanks. We’ll be going to sandcastle. Very encouraging info!

Can you recommend a beach on St. Lucia? I enjoy Pigeon island but my wife not so much. Is Reduit beach the best alternative?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 8:46 AM, cementhands said:

Great info. Many thanks. We’ll be going to sandcastle. Very encouraging info!

Can you recommend a beach on St. Lucia? I enjoy Pigeon island but my wife not so much. Is Reduit beach the best alternative?

Vigie Beach on St. Lucia.  In the past we have never been completely pleased with the beaches on St. Lucia.  However, I read that Vigie has recently been improved with a restaurant, shops and beach chair concessions. So we tried it in January 2019. 

 

It was the best beach on St. Lucia we have been to.  Much preferred over Reduit (which is also called Rodney's Bay).  Vigie is a fairly long beach with lots of natural shade.  It runs along the small plane airport.  The chair renters ($15 for 2 chairs) don't even have umbrellas because there are so many trees to set you up under.   Very enjoyable and just crowded enough to feel completely safe, but not over crowded.

 

Vigie is a short taxi ride from the port.  Also a big plus to far away Pigeon Island and Reduit.  Be warned...the cab drivers seem to talk Vigie down.   I guess they hope for the better (further) fare.  Give Vigie a try.  

 

Look for Lee and his blue chairs.  He will take care of you.  Also they run for you to the restaurant for beer, water, food etc. 

 

Not a "fancy" beach scene...just a laid back nice beach...great smooth sandy bottom for swimming as well.  Our new favorite beach on St. Lucia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PelicanLvr said:

Vigie Beach on St. Lucia.  In the past we have never been completely pleased with the beaches on St. Lucia.  However, I read that Vigie has recently been improved with a restaurant, shops and beach chair concessions. So we tried it in January 2019. 

 

It was the best beach on St. Lucia we have been to.  Much preferred over Reduit (which is also called Rodney's Bay).  Vigie is a fairly long beach with lots of natural shade.  It runs along the small plane airport.  The chair renters ($15 for 2 chairs) don't even have umbrellas because there are so many trees to set you up under.   Very enjoyable and just crowded enough to feel completely safe, but not over crowded.

 

Vigie is a short taxi ride from the port.  Also a big plus to far away Pigeon Island and Reduit.  Be warned...the cab drivers seem to talk Vigie down.   I guess they hope for the better (further) fare.  Give Vigie a try.  

 

Look for Lee and his blue chairs.  He will take care of you.  Also they run for you to the restaurant for beer, water, food etc. 

 

Not a "fancy" beach scene...just a laid back nice beach...great smooth sandy bottom for swimming as well.  Our new favorite beach on St. Lucia.

Thanks for the info. We did try that beach near the airport last year and we enjoyed the tranquility but we’re very alone.  My wife wants to give Reduit beach a try. I had been there years ago. St. Lucia beaches seem a little unkempt. The water a little dirty. Still searching for a favorite. I’m glad you found yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cementhands said:

Thanks for the info. We did try that beach near the airport last year and we enjoyed the tranquility but we’re very alone.  My wife wants to give Reduit beach a try. I had been there years ago. St. Lucia beaches seem a little unkempt. The water a little dirty. Still searching for a favorite. I’m glad you found yours.

Just to Clarify....We too did not even go to Vigie in the past because it was known as too quiet and not really safe.  That's why (as I read) it's been built up a bit and now has a couple of shops, a restaurant and chair guys.  Plenty of people from the ships there when we were there in January 2019.

 

Give Reduit a try.  Let us know what you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...