Not too long a drift - discussion of breakfast food - to remembering entertainment delivered by makers of breakfast food; a logical progression if ever there was one.

Isn't it how it always goes on this board? We start out discussing one thing and end up discussing another. It's okay though, it's all good. The original question was answered by many people, which was well appreciated by me!

:p

I'm not sure I have had Home Fries on a ship, but have had the Hash Browns ( of the Golden Arches type). Palatable, but surely not like freshly prepared Hash Browns.

Grits? Available on the Zaandam this Winter. Congee? Also available. Both are an "acquired" taste, I think. After trying both--more than once--it's a taste I have yet to "acquire".

But you TRIED! There are so many people who never go out of their comfort zone. I think a a cruise ship is a great place to try things. Good for you!:)clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

I think that most grits lovers would agree that its unlikely that HAL (or any other cruise line) would ever have a clue how to prepare decent grits :). I must admit that as a "yankee" I know little about grits other than its something I enjoy when driving in the deep south :). But DW has learned how to make decent shrimp and grits (with cheesy grits) along with some tasso ham...but of course she leaned how to make this dish from a decent southern chef.

Hank

Agreed, if you don't try a food item you never tried before, you will never know if you like it!

Went to dinner with daughter and son-in-law at a French inspired restaurant that offered an escargot appetizer (which was done the best way - with butter and garlic - just like HAL taught me to love!). I ordered it. The "kids" looked at me as if I'd lost my mind and then .....she tried one and really liked it, and encouraged her hubby to try one, and he liked it too!**** And they also took great pleasure in dipping bread in the butter/garlic stuff left on the plate.

*** For those afraid of escargot, it's a tiny bite of something like a clam/mussel/etc. that delivers a great blast of butter and garlic to your mouth. Daughter, who ADORES mussels, said she liked the escargot even better!

Went to dinner with daughter and son-in-law at a French inspired restaurant that offered an escargot appetizer (which was done the best way - with butter and garlic - just like HAL taught me to love!). I ordered it. The "kids" looked at me as if I'd lost my mind and then .....she tried one and really liked it, and encouraged her hubby to try one, and he liked it too!**** And they also took great pleasure in dipping bread in the butter/garlic stuff left on the plate.

*** For those afraid of escargot, it's a tiny bite of something like a clam/mussel/etc. that delivers a great blast of butter and garlic to your mouth. Daughter, who ADORES mussels, said she liked the escargot even better!

Escargot is a wonderful thing!

Glad they tried it and liked it!

Escargot is awesome... especially as prepared on HAL! :)

HAL escargot is OK, but we think that Celebrity has the best escargot (they use more garlic). And on Celebrity its on the everyday menu so one can have it every night.

Hank

Not too long a drift - discussion of breakfast food - to remembering entertainment delivered by makers of breakfast food; a logical progression if ever there was one.

Totally disagree. This is a discussion about what one can expect to see available for breakfast at the Lido on HAL, far from a discussion about nostalgic remembrances of breakfasts gone by, which is a whole different topic.

HAL escargot is OK, but we think that Celebrity has the best escargot (they use more garlic).

Have to disagree with that.:o

And on Celebrity its on the everyday menu so one can have it every night.

Now that is a home run!;):D

Totally disagree. This is a discussion about what one can expect to see available for breakfast at the Lido on HAL, far from a discussion about nostalgic remembrances of breakfasts gone by, which is a whole different topic.

Sorry: this thread is titled "Breakfast Item Question"

Hot cereals are clearly BREAKFAST ITEMS and inquiring if people recall particular hot cereals is clearly asking a QUESTION.

I see no valid grounds for your disagreement - other than a pedantic resistance to creative input.

I am sorry if I inadvertently started a disagreement.

My original question was answered by many posters, and a small side discussion referred to old 1950s TV shows and hot cereals of that era. Somehow escargot came up, and that's fine with me too.

All of it is fine with me.....

As the OP, I am exiting the thread at this point ....

Thank you all for your input.

I am sorry if I inadvertently started a disagreement.

My original question was answered by many posters, and a small side discussion referred to old 1950s TV shows and hot cereals of that era. Somehow escargot came up, and that's fine with me too.

All of it is fine with me.....

As the OP, I am exiting the thread at this point ....

Thank you all for your input.

Still, escargot for breakfast.............?

I could eat escargot any time... breakfast, lunch or dinner! :D

If you have them late at night, you better hope your bed partner also has some. The garlic is strong on the ones I have had on various HAL ships. Otherwise, one of you will be sleeping on the balcony.

If you have them late at night, you better hope your bed partner also has some. The garlic is strong on the ones I have had on various HAL ships. Otherwise, one of you will be sleeping on the balcony.

Lol.. very true! Been there, done that!:')