Cruise Critic Community
carlsbadguy

Transportation from Seward to Denali

I am thinking of visiting Denali for a few days after a cruise ending in Seward and was wondering if there is a way to get from Seward to Denali by train or bus without having to go to Anchorage first.

I am thinking of visiting Denali for a few days after a cruise ending in Seward and was wondering if there is a way to get from Seward to Denali by train or bus without having to go to Anchorage first.

Looking at a map you'll see that you have to go through Anchorage to get from Seward to Denali.

The train to Denali is different than the train that runs to Seward, so you'll have to overnight in Anchorage. Probably ditto on most bus options.

Would you be open to renting a car for the trip?

A few minutes I posted I realized that the OP probably wasn't asking about the actual route from Seward to Denali but the timing. AKStafford has addressed that issue. But I wonder if the OP wants to disembark in Seward and then reach Denali on the same date.

Well.. it’s a long train trip from Seward to anchorage, but it’s only 80 ish miles by car. Could try to rent a car in Seward and drive all the way to Denali. It’s definitely doable, and you’re unlikely to get lost since the road basically directs you that way. Not like driving in the states where you need to find the off ramp, basically the same road from Seward to Denali, just keep driving straight.. what I’m not sure about is if there’s a place in Seward renting cars you can drop in Fairbanks or anchorage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well.. it’s a long train trip from Seward to anchorage, but it’s only 80 ish miles by car. .....

In the interest of accuracy the driving distance between Anchorage and Seward is not "80ish" miles, but more like "130ish" miles. Various publications cite the distance anywhere from 125 road miles to 128 road miles between the two communities.

You are I’m sure right.. you’ll have to forgive my inaccuracies, I’m local so I’m just going off the first road sign mileage estimate

However! I take back what I said before, and I’m now advocating that everyone take the train instead of bus or car.

http://m.511.alaska.gov/m.alaska511/routeSummary/index?highwayName=Seward+Highway

There’s a big road project happening all summer that will lead to very lengthy delays on that section of the highway. The train is a great experience and would be far more pleasurable than spending hours stuck on the road.

If it is Anchorage that your desire to skip, another option, if you haven't already decided on a cruise to Seward, would be to take a Princess cruise instead, to Whittier, and then ride their chartered train which goes straight thru to Denali...you don't have to change or layover in Anchorage when it passes thru there...

We just disembarked in Seward on May 25th. We booked the morning train through Royal that left around 7am and arrived in Anchorage at 11:30am. We had a rental car booked for four days with Enterprise at the airport for 12:30pm. I researched prices for rental cars for months and one day came across a price for $106 total. I quickly booked that price because all of my other research showed a price of $300 or more.

Once we got the rental car and loaded up all of our luggage, we made our way through downtown Anchorage and stopped for a quick lunch at Wendy's. I believe we finally made it to our hotel in Denali around 7:30pm. We did stop in Wasilla for some groceries and then made a stop at one of the viewpoints for Denali, but other than those few stops we drove straight to Denali.

It was a long travel day, but I wouldn't change anything about it. I'm glad we decided to do all of the traveling in one day because it gave us more time to enjoy Denali.