Cruise Critic Community

See section 6, part a, which I affectionally call the “we can do whatever the @&$- we want” clause.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/CTC_Not_For_BR.pdf

The only thing a GTY room ensures you is that you have a stateroom of AT LEAST the category that you booked, nothing less, nothing more (and occasionally not even this according to a few, rare reports). It does not guarantee you that the room is naturally designed to hold your number of passengers, just that the number of passengers will be accommodated.

Looks like you edited your post to add the last paragraph since I first read it. I disagree with your statement that a guarantee room "does not guarantee that the room is naturally designed to hold your number of passengers..."

This isn't bunking up with your college buddies... You're a paying customer buying a product. Again, the "guarantee" is a stateroom within a certain class of stateroom, as you point out. Nothing less, nothing more. The expectation which should be inherent is that the room be physically designed to accommodate the number of guests included within the booking.

Maybe this is why years back I recall guarantee rates were only offered for 2 person bookings...

Looks like you edited your post to add the last paragraph since I first read it. I disagree with your statement that a guarantee room "does not guarantee that the room is naturally designed to hold your number of passengers..."

This isn't bunking up with your college buddies... You're a paying customer buying a product. Again, the "guarantee" is a stateroom within a certain class of stateroom, as you point out. Nothing less, nothing more. The expectation which should be inherent is that the room be physically designed to accommodate the number of guests included within the booking.

Maybe this is why years back I recall guarantee rates were only offered for 2 person bookings...

Can you show me where this is guaranteed anywhere in writing by Royal? I'll again direct to you 6.a of the cruise contract. Obviously they're going to comply with all required maritime laws. But if they can sell a room intended for 2 to 3 passengers, that means they get to sell another room to 3 passengers - free revenue for Royal.

It's simply ridiculous. Most of the time when someone ASKS for a rollaway bed, for example in the GS when two people don't want to share the sofabed, they are told NO.

Now they are trying to force one on someone in a cabin that only has two berths???

No. Just no.

Not to be devil’s advocate here, but a roll-away IS technically accommodations for 3. Happens in hotels all the time.

Can you show me where this is guaranteed anywhere in writing by Royal? I'll again direct to you 6.a of the cruise contract. Obviously they're going to comply with all required maritime laws. But if they can sell a room intended for 2 to 3 passengers, that means they get to sell another room to 3 passengers - free revenue for Royal.

This will be my last repsonse to you, because you are either: (1) a fanboy who will see no wrong in what RCI does; (2) a troll, who only wants to create friction on the internet, hiding behind a computer screen; (3) a shareholder with considerable stock, who has something to lose by the posting of less than favorable comments about RCI online; or (4) a combination of the preceding.

Here ya' go:

"From time to time, we may offer you the option of making what we term a ‘Guarantee’ (GTY) booking. This means you may book a stateroom of a guaranteed minimum category type, (specified by us prior to booking) on your chosen ship. However, the exact location of the stateroom on the ship will be allocated by us (at our discretion) and at any time up until checking in at the Port. "

I see nothing beyond category type and location. Nothing about accepting a room clearly denoted on published documents to only accommodate less than the number people booked for the stateroom.

For my specific scenario, of a category 4I, please see: http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/17055533_Recategorization_Trade_Grid.pdf

Here is something you might want to consider.

RCI may well be trying to bend the rules to get more capacity into the individual cabins. As posted by another here earlier...

"...government regulations stipulate the assignment of guests to rooms for purposes of emergencies. I'd like to know how RCI is ensuring compliance with maritime law and providing space for each person in a lifeboat should the need arise...."

Take this tidbit of knowledge and turn it to your benefit. Dig up the statute number for official reference and inform him that you have concerns about how the additional person in a cabin designated as 2-person ONLY has impact on that statute. Also express that if they are so insistent on forcing your party into such in-appropriate accommodations that you have concern that they are doing this as a normal practice and if so, the impact extends beyond your own solitary cabin so naturally they would need to explain not only that the increase in YOUR cabin occupants is viable but, naturally, they will also need to provide documentation of ALL of the passengers in ALL cabins that would report to your lifeboat in order for you and the maritime laws to be comfortable with this modification to passenger capacity in lifeboats.

In other words, use the laws to your advantage to show them that it may be in their best interest to give you a different cabin. Make it more difficult for them to put you in the cabin that it would be for them to simply move you.

To be even more extreme...

You could also tell them that if they don't agree with your understanding that you may well need to put up a viral video of your experience on the cruise in that cabin in tight quarters that could well damage their potential GTY business in the future...

You should also be more than willing to simply cancel the cruise and have them refund your money if you are going to go any of these directions.

FYI - This post is not to be considered "Legal Advice" in any way, shape or form. I am not a lawyer and I do not play one on TV so YMMV

last post on this subject myself so good luck!

< unsubscribed >

Edited by ndabunka

Anyone know the max pax capacity on Oasis class ships? How many passengers total do the lifeboats hold? If Royal Caribbean is truly stuffing 3 people into rooms meant for 2, could they be exceeding capacity? My natural reaction would be to think that this could never happen, even if only for fear of the fine / bad press if this were ever caught. Curious.

It does not matter what anyone on here "thinks". None of us are RCI so no point in asking for "opinions" here that may or may not align with yours as they just DON'T MATTER.

Simply do as has been suggested here in a number of posts already...

JUST ASK RCI TO REMOVE YOUR RESERVED ROOM AND PLACE YOU BACK IN THE GTY POOL

Chill.

First, you took the quote out of context.

Second, your all caps suggestion to be thrown back into the pool was mentioned once, maybe twice (which hardly qualifies for 'a number of posts', but I guess 1 and 2 are technically both 'numbers').

But yes - If Resolutions can't give me a definitive response as to whether or not my cabin can accommodate 3 persons (without the addition of a rollaway, which in my opinion does not make a cabin a triple occupancy room), then I will ask to be thrown back into the pool.

Anyone know the max pax capacity on Oasis class ships? How many passengers total do the lifeboats hold? If Royal Caribbean is truly stuffing 3 people into rooms meant for 2, could they be exceeding capacity? My natural reaction would be to think that this could never happen, even if only for fear of the fine / bad press if this were ever caught. Curious.

This is part of my point/concern. What stopgaps / failsafes are in place to ensure that adding a rollaway bed to a room intended for 2 meets the overall requirements for passenger assignment to muster stations?

Frankly, if Royal Caribbean can't figure out how to display more than Deck 3 of the deck plans on the US web site for my ship and sail date (see: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/harmony-of-the-seas/deck-plans/1819/08, and try to change the deck number), I'm not that inclined to believe their IT department is capable of processing and calculating variable changes in cabin occupancy and lifeboat capacity.

Just sayin'... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by ucfknight07

Here is something you might want to consider.

RCI may well be trying to bend the rules to get more capacity into the individual cabins. As posted by another here earlier...

"...government regulations stipulate the assignment of guests to rooms for purposes of emergencies. I'd like to know how RCI is ensuring compliance with maritime law and providing space for each person in a lifeboat should the need arise...."

Take this tidbit of knowledge and turn it to your benefit. Dig up the statute number for official reference and inform him that you have concerns about how the additional person in a cabin designated as 2-person ONLY has impact on that statute. Also express that if they are so insistent on forcing your party into such in-appropriate accommodations that you have concern that they are doing this as a normal practice and if so, the impact extends beyond your own solitary cabin so naturally they would need to explain not only that the increase in YOUR cabin occupants is viable but, naturally, they will also need to provide documentation of ALL of the passengers in ALL cabins that would report to your lifeboat in order for you and the maritime laws to be comfortable with this modification to passenger capacity in lifeboats.

In other words, use the laws to your advantage to show them that it may be in their best interest to give you a different cabin. Make it more difficult for them to put you in the cabin that it would be for them to simply move you.

To be even more extreme...

You could also tell them that if they don't agree with your understanding that you may well need to put up a viral video of your experience on the cruise in that cabin in tight quarters that could well damage their potential GTY business in the future...

You should also be more than willing to simply cancel the cruise and have them refund your money if you are going to go any of these directions.

FYI - This post is not to be considered "Legal Advice" in any way, shape or form. I am not a lawyer and I do not play one on TV so YMMV

last post on this subject myself so good luck!

< unsubscribed >

ndabunka,

While you noted you're unsubscribing from this thread, I hope that you see this.

You make a very valid and justifiable point that the addition of one person to one cabin may be duplicated within the cabins assigned to a particular muster station, which could cause that particular station to exceed its maximum capacity. Regardless of the debate which has flourished within this thread about what is 'guaranteed' when booking a GTY cabin, there are obviously serious safety implications to cramming guests into cabins without consideration for impacts to the assigned emergency response stations for all cabins within each station.

On a side note, I would be more than willing to cancel this cruise due to the preceding concerns, if it were not within the penalty period for cancellation following final payment. Thus, I am presented with the choice to either lose money to ensure safety and comfort, or press for information which indisputably substantiates the assigned cabin in fact is designed to accommodate more people than is publicized on deck plans.

As it stands in my situation, with the assigned cabin, there is no clear cut 'right answer', but I'm hoping that RCI makes the situation right by assigning a cabin which clearly accommodates 3 people.

For all those suggesting that they ask to be put back in the guarantee pool....it’s not like by being put back in the pool gets you a random chance of being assigned a different room. It’s not a computer matching random rooms with people. It’s a Royal employee assigning you to a room and chances are you are going to be reassigned the exact same room.

Although I have not sailed in an inside cabin on this class of ship, the inside cabins we have occupied on the other classes had no space to safely locate an adult size, roll-away bed with unobstructed passage to exit the cabin door. In the event of an emergency, this should be a priority. Also, in a dark cabin, could the other guests even get to the bathroom without climbing over the roll-away bed? Would they be able to open and close the bathroom door?

*Note to self: Don't ever book a "Guarantee" room!*

It sounds to me like RC is trying to shoehorn as many people as possible onto the ship by adding rollaway beds and pushing the occupancy limits by forcing people in guarantee rooms to accept them.

My family cruised in a suite on Costa two summers ago and willingly accepted a rollaway bed. It will be fine, we said. My husband and I shared the large bed, our 18 yo daughter had the sofa bed and our 14 year old son had the rollaway bed. I don't know if the rollaway beds are better on RC, but the one on Costa was fairly comfortable but seemed kinda flimsy. It collapsed and we had to have the room steward get us another one. It was also a hassle because they put it right in front of our closets and you had to climb over the rollaway bed (or fold it up) to get to anything in the closet.

Well if all else fails, and you do get a roll away. I suggest every morning pushing it out in the hallway. Since you will not need it during the day, and you definately will get attention doing that. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

In regards to keeping in compliance of lifeboat capacity.

They more or less do what I do when I have to make participation reports to my walking club's national headquaters. They count up the number of names of passengers on a particular cruise and ensure it remains at or below the maximum capacity of lifeboats.

The can do the same for how many people are assigned to a particular muster station. In times past, I remember when we reported to our muster station, they would cross our names off a list. Then went to scanning room keys, etc.

I have seen roll always many times, mostly in interior cabins. Opened, they are about the size of a 2 cushion love seat, closed, less than half the size of the 2 cushion. The mattress looks to be thicker than what's on a sleep sofa, but ymmv. They take up a small amount of space when folded up.

As far as the life boat capacity, I can't believe people post this stuff. If you are going to worry yourself, why even set foot on a cruise ship? Rollaway passengers are directed to the chutes.

Edited by setsail

Can someone call to do a mock booking on oasis in the same cabin on another date (peak)? Ask the representative if it's available for two people? Then ask, "if I have a third person, could this cabin accommodate it as well"? Curious what they will say.

I have seen roll always many times, mostly in interior cabins.

Many times? Have you booked for 3 people, and they have assigned you a rollaway? Was the room designated as a room for 2 or 3 on the deck plans?

The issue is that Royal Caribbean appears to now be stuffing 3 people into rooms designated for 2.

Many times? Have you booked for 3 people, and they have assigned you a rollaway? Was the room designated as a room for 2 or 3 on the deck plans?

The issue is that Royal Caribbean appears to now be stuffing 3 people into rooms designated for 2.

Yes, many times. Let's see, Royal has been using roll always for years in many types of cabins. It seems that passengers must be happy with the set up or they would not have the roll always or they would build with many more cabins that have sofa beds/pull downs. Even with cot there is still room for a cabin crawl. Never booked for 3.

The stuffees get the chute. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=256002&d=1356982216

Edited by setsail

I've been cruising since 1997, this is my first time booking a guarantee room. At first I thought the risk is the location where they assigned the room, but being an interior room without a view so it does not matter. Never thought the issue is the type of bed they substitute for the 3rd guest. Probably I will never book a guarantee room for 3 again. So far I ask Frau couple of times to put it in writing that I will have a sofa bed in my room like what he verbally told me on the time, but did not hear anything back from him.

ucfknight07, on your customer receipt invoice, under the 3rd guest name, is there the wording "ROLL AWAY BED" ?

Edited by StrikeEagle

Well if all else fails, and you do get a roll away. I suggest every morning pushing it out in the hallway.

good idea

I've been cruising since 1997, this is my first time booking a guarantee room. At first I thought the risk is the location where they assigned the room, but being an interior room without a view so it does not matter. Never thought the issue is the type of bed they substitute for the 3rd guest. Probably I will never book a guarantee room for 3 again. So far I ask Frau couple of times to put it in writing that I will have a sofa bed in my room like what he verbally told me on the time, but did not hear anything back from him.

That’s because he knows it probably won’t happen. Nothing in the guarantee states anything about the set-up of the room (sofa bed, Pullman, roll-away bed, etc). They just guarantee you at least the category of cabin that you booked and that the number of people you booked will be able to sleep in the cabin. That’s it. If you want a particular setup in your room, then the guarantee is not for you.

There have been enough recent reports on this lately that it can’t possibly be an error. They’re experimenting with something and if it leads to more revenue and profit, they’ll stick with it. I’m not saying it’s right, and I certainly wouldn’t be happy in your (or ucfknight07’s) position, I’m just saying that Royal Caribbean has the right to do about whatever they wish in this situation. Buyer beware.

I would ask to be placed back in the guaranty pool and keep an eye on prices to see if I could find an acceptable upgrade. It doesn't sound like Royal is willing to fix this problem so you may have to fix it yourself. Good luck.

I finally got it in writing from Mr. Frau about the sofa bed.

"Thank you for your e-mail. It is a pleasure to be of further assistance.

As I stated during our conversation, your stateroom will be able to accommodate your three guests. The third guest will have a sofa bed twin. Since you reserved an interior guarantee we will not be able to change your stateroom.

Thank you for your loyalty with Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard Oasis of the Seas. "

Well if all else fails, and you do get a roll away. I suggest every morning pushing it out in the hallway. Since you will not need it during the day, and you definately will get attention doing that. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Oh, heck, I'd be so annoyed that I'd roll it down to Guest Services and proceed to sleep there!

ucfknight07, on your customer receipt invoice, under the 3rd guest name, is there the wording "ROLL AWAY BED" ?

Strike Eagle, on another thread, someone else is equally frustrated about another problem. His post reminded, me, though.

Royal Caribbean is usually much more responsive to posts on social media.

Hit them up on Twitter or post on their facebook page.

GET THEIR ATTENTION.