Cruise Critic Community

Royal Caribbean used to be known for its service. Now it seem to be known for its disservice.

I feel like the same can be said for many businesses nowadays. Unfortunately.

I feel like the same can be said for many businesses nowadays. Unfortunately.

That doesn't mean that Royal Caribbean should get a free ride. I'm D+ on Royal Caribbean and I have been looking around for a different cruise line. Seriously considering NCL even though I don't like Freestyle (prefer traditional dining).

That doesn't mean that Royal Caribbean should get a free ride. I'm D+ on Royal Caribbean and I have been looking around for a different cruise line. Seriously considering NCL even though I don't like Freestyle (prefer traditional dining).

I was on NCL a few weeks ago. If you give them a shot, I recommend you take one of their newer ships. I went on the Sun, and while the value was phenomenal, the experience itself was so-so. But then again, when you pay less than $300pp for a 17 year old ship with open bar for all, you set expectations accordingly.

I was on NCL a few weeks ago. If you give them a shot, I recommend you take one of their newer ships. I went on the Sun, and while the value was phenomenal, the experience itself was so-so. But then again, when you pay less than $300pp for a 17 year old ship with open bar for all, you set expectations accordingly.

I'm aware of the older ships. I have been on the NCL Star in 2005 (it was four years old), the NCL Jade in 2008 (it was two years old), and the NCL Pearl in 2016 (it was ten years old).

Next year I'm booked on the Epic (it will be ten years old), the NCL Getaway (it will be six years old), and the NCL Bliss (it will be two years old).

When my grandkids visit, one gets a cot, the other a blow up camping bed. They never seemed to mind. What's the big deal over a sleeper couch and or cot?

I would think the fact that these people paid a lot of money for their 13 yr. old to sleep in a cabin designed and built to accommodate 3 people. NOT for her/him to sleep on an uncomfortable fold up cot.

I would think the fact that these people paid a lot of money for their 13 yr. old to sleep in a cabin designed and built to accommodate 3 people. NOT for her/him to sleep on an uncomfortable fold up cot.

winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Bill

Sun/Sky are 1990's ship, very basic now but 18 yrs ago was tops. First to have multiple Restaurant choices, Freestyle(MTD) no Formal nites and can't beat a ship that has bottled Diet Mt Dew in a vending machine. Was one of cheapest cruises. NCL not really for me but yes I would say if going do a new ship. Have a reservation for Panama Canal Aft cabin on Bliss, was going give another try, though going cancel. Instead doing B2B both E/W Canal on Jewel for about same price as one way on Bliss..Royal discounts do help ALOT!

Sun/Sky are 1990's ship, very basic now but 18 yrs ago was tops. First to have multiple Restaurant choices, Freestyle(MTD) no Formal nites and can't beat a ship that has bottled Diet Mt Dew in a vending machine. Was one of cheapest cruises. NCL not really for me but yes I would say if going do a new ship. Have a reservation for Panama Canal Aft cabin on Bliss, was going give another try, though going cancel. Instead doing B2B both E/W Canal on Jewel for about same price as one way on Bliss..Royal discounts do help ALOT!

Both of my Panama Canal cruises have been in forward facing balconies ...

i-PTnDSXn-L.jpg

i-282XTHP-L.jpg

i-ZbtghG2-L.jpg

i-78TrRLk-L.jpg

i-WGFXSkb-M.jpg

i-qGTp7zJ-L.jpg

Our "rollaway bed" on Harmony this month was actually the type of couch where you remove the cushions and the couch itself is a twin bed (think daybed configuration).

However, my son and his GF both slept on the twin bed together, so we didn't actually have the steward make up the couch as a bed.

I think RCI is calling it a "rollaway bed" to distinguish it from the "sofabed" that folds down and is supposed to be able to sleep two people as a full-size bed. This twin-sized couch-tranformable-bed is the same size as having a Pullman-style bed in the room, only without any worry about banging your head on it.

Our "rollaway bed" on Harmony this month was actually the type of couch where you remove the cushions and the couch itself is a twin bed (think daybed configuration).

However, my son and his GF both slept on the twin bed together, so we didn't actually have the steward make up the couch as a bed.

I think RCI is calling it a "rollaway bed" to distinguish it from the "sofabed" that folds down and is supposed to be able to sleep two people as a full-size bed. This twin-sized couch-tranformable-bed is the same size as having a Pullman-style bed in the room, only without any worry about banging your head on it.

Thank for for that explaination, it makes sense. The new room they upgraded us 12725 on the map plan it also does not has any symbols for the 3rd bed, on the updated invoice it still shows under my daughter name "ROLL AWAY BED". I called RCI C&A number and they said on their room description database it shows that room has a twin sofa bed and they said they don't know why the map plan doesn't have the triangle symbol to show it.

Based on how well their IT department merging the RCI and Celebrity toghether and all the issues they are working on, and that results in the map deck plan is not up to date while RCI trying to make more revenue by converting their 2 people cabins to 3 by switching out the regular sofa to the twin sofa beds. I give them the benefit of the doubt that their will be a twin sofa bed in our cabin.

I'm happy with the upgrade, I will bring a hammock to hang on the balcony to sleep there, wife and daughter can have the bed. :):):cool:

Edited by StrikeEagle

Thought I would update on my experience with a Guarantee room for 3 people...

To summarize, in late March for Harmony, June 23 we booked a Neighborhood Guarantee. In late April / early May, we were assigned to a Boardwalk Balcony (category 4I). A couple weeks after receiving the assignment, I went to check if we received a room with a pullman or a sofa bed. Much to my surprise, our room did not indicate either. After hours of phone calls between C&A, Resolutions, and the Executive office (after emailing the CEO because of the lack of confirmation to the accommodations), we were moved to a Central Park Balcony (without our knowledge or agreement with the move, even though just hours earlier Resolutions advised we would be contacted before any room changes were made). The deck plans still showed no pullman or sofa bed for the Central Park room. We were assured furniture changes were being made and that by our sailing this room would have a sofa bed. Told the ship would take pictures on turnover day to show the sofa bed in that exact room. Never received any pictures. Nothing more than verbal surety was ever provided. In all of this I also learned that RCI does consider a rollaway as the 3rd berth for a 3rd guest... Lesson learned. A rollaway in a balcony room would leave no room to move past the only space it could go - between the couch and vanity.

We kept watching rates and availability to try to move to a room we knew, per the deck plans, would accommodate 3 people. When the price of a suite guarantee dropped substantially, we decided to change to that. Rollaway or not, in a Junior Suite, my concern about space is negated. We had to pay quite a bit to upgrade, but for the peace of mind felt it was worth it.

We are now 9 days out and awaiting a room assignment. After all of the confusion, I have this gut feeling that something will go wrong when we get to the port if we still have no room assigned. RCI is telling me we should have a room assigned at least 2 days before the sail date, but I know there are reports on here that occasionally a room is not assigned before the day of the cruise.

On another note, while trying to sort out the room and bed arrangements, I was accessing deck plans via the UK site, since they would not show anything but deck 3 on the US site (RCI acknowledged this was a known web site issue...) I recently checked the US site, and the deck plans now work as they should.

The deck plans display June 16 onward, and now show the Boardwalk room we were assigned as having a sofa bed. The Central Park room we were moved to does not show any provisions for a 3rd person.

While I get that RCI may update and change bed configurations from time to time, the changes made for Harmony (and it sounds like other Oasis class ships, at a minimum), were ill conceived. The changes should have been planned, rooms identified, and deck plans updated before assigning 3 or more guests to rooms that only show for 2 people. We have booked guarantees for 2 people many times and had no problems. I will never book one again for 3 people, unless it's a suite guarantee.

I hope you get a good room assignment for 3 soon and have a great vacation.

I hope you get a good room assignment for 3 soon and have a great vacation.

Thank you! I'm glad things worked out for you to your satisfaction. I'm patiently (OK, not really... more like anxiously) awaiting a room assignment. We're making lemonade out of lemons in the whole thing. At least we'll get a couple extra perks and some extra space, if nothing more (even if it cost us a pretty penny to get the perks and space).

This thread got a little ugly for a bit, with the cheerleaders citing terms and conditions and "you got what you booked" mentality, but there should be a reasonable expectation for a paying customer that deck plans, internal information, and what really exists in the staterooms are all consistent with one another! If RCI can build ships that cost $1.5B +, they certainly could afford to implement reasonable internal controls and an could hire an IT consultant to create a functional web site!

To summarize, in late March for Harmony, June 23 we booked a Neighborhood Guarantee. In late April / early May, we were assigned to a Boardwalk Balcony (category 4I). A couple weeks after receiving the assignment, I went to check if we received a room with a pullman or a sofa bed. Much to my surprise, our room did not indicate either. After hours of phone calls between C&A, Resolutions, and the Executive office (after emailing the CEO because of the lack of confirmation to the accommodations), we were moved to a Central Park Balcony (without our knowledge or agreement with the move, even though just hours earlier Resolutions advised we would be contacted before any room changes were made). The deck plans still showed no pullman or sofa bed for the Central Park room. We were assured furniture changes were being made and that by our sailing this room would have a sofa bed. Told the ship would take pictures on turnover day to show the sofa bed in that exact room. Never received any pictures. Nothing more than verbal surety was ever provided. In all of this I also learned that RCI does consider a rollaway as the 3rd berth for a 3rd guest... Lesson learned. A rollaway in a balcony room would leave no room to move past the only space it could go - between the couch and vanity.

Unfortunately Royal Caribbean's shore side customer service has gone way down since the promotions and changes of the most senior management.

We kept watching rates and availability to try to move to a room we knew, per the deck plans, would accommodate 3 people. When the price of a suite guarantee dropped substantially, we decided to change to that. Rollaway or not, in a Junior Suite, my concern about space is negated. We had to pay quite a bit to upgrade, but for the peace of mind felt it was worth it.

We are now 9 days out and awaiting a room assignment. After all of the confusion, I have this gut feeling that something will go wrong when we get to the port if we still have no room assigned. RCI is telling me we should have a room assigned at least 2 days before the sail date, but I know there are reports on here that occasionally a room is not assigned before the day of the cruise.

On another note, while trying to sort out the room and bed arrangements, I was accessing deck plans via the UK site, since they would not show anything but deck 3 on the US site (RCI acknowledged this was a known web site issue... one of many) I recently checked the US site, and the deck plans now work as they should.

The deck plans display June 16 onward, and now show the Boardwalk room we were assigned as having a sofa bed. The Central Park room we were moved to does not show any provisions for a 3rd person. Given the above, this seems expected. Murphy's law in real life.

While I get that RCI may update and change bed configurations from time to time, the changes made for Harmony (and it sounds like other Oasis class ships, at a minimum), were ill conceived. The changes should have been planned, rooms identified, and deck plans updated before assigning 3 or more guests to rooms that only show for 2 people. We have booked guarantees for 2 people many times and had no problems. I will never book one again for 3 people, unless it's a suite guarantee.

Planning ahead seems beyond Royal Caribbean's ability at times. You should have seen what happened when people booked their favorite aft corner cabin, then Royal Caribbean added more cabins to the ship which changed the cabin number. Suddenly those aft corner cabin were now side facing cabins and other people were booking the now available aft corner cabins. Many unhappy customers over that one.

Just found out something. On royal caribbean web site, for both the original room 12539 and new room 12725

Their deck plan for June 10th, 2018 - April 28th, 2019

those rooms does not have the triangle symbols.

For the deck plan April 21st, 2019 - April 26th, 2020

the deck plan does has the triangle symbols for those room.

Our cruise is on August 5th, 2018. I think it is an IT issue which they are working on.

Another note I saw the difference on the deck map plan between those two set of calendar dates, there are alot more of others cabin added with the triangle symbols on it for the April 21st 2019 - April 26th, 2020. So it does seems like RCI is replacing the regular sofa to sofa beds.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/oasis-of-the-seas/deck-plans/1840/12

Edited by StrikeEagle

Planning ahead seems beyond Royal Caribbean's ability at times. You should have seen what happened when people booked their favorite aft corner cabin, then Royal Caribbean added more cabins to the ship which changed the cabin number. Suddenly those aft corner cabin were now side facing cabins and other people were booking the now available aft corner cabins. Many unhappy customers over that one.

Agree with all your points. I've read on here that the CEO email usually leads to correcting issues. Not in my case. I didn't mention it, but Resolutions tried to remove the C&A balcony discount when I called to upgrade to a suite guarantee (and give them hundreds of dollars in doing so), even though other changes had been made to my reservation without their error ever being noticed or corrected (I used RCI Visa points for this reservation). Talk about adding salt to wounds... They 'made a one time exception' and let me keep the discount. After all of this, I'll be shopping other cruise lines the next time we cruise.

I do recall the cabin renumbering with aft cabins and all of the frustration with those that were not correctly assigned the revised room number.

Just found out something. On royal caribbean web site. For both the original room 12539 and new room 12725

Our cruise is on August 5th, 2018. I think it is an IT issue which they are working on.

Another IT issue. The "IT issues" and the lack of shore side customer service, are driving people away (me included, though I still will cruise with Royal Caribbean, just not as much). One (apparently very frustrated) person posted that (s)he cancelled a cruise because of Royal Caribbean website.

Anyone know the max pax capacity on Oasis class ships? How many passengers total do the lifeboats hold? If Royal Caribbean is truly stuffing 3 people into rooms meant for 2, could they be exceeding capacity? My natural reaction would be to think that this could never happen, even if only for fear of the fine / bad press if this were ever caught. Curious.

Well if you have anyone doing a Solo cruise or if there's less crew on that sailing they would still comply within the max pax capacity..

Just found out something. On royal caribbean web site, for both the original room 12539 and new room 12725

Another note I saw the difference on the deck map plan between those two set of calendar dates, there are alot more of others cabin added with the triangle symbols on it for the April 21st 2019 - April 26th, 2020. So it does seems like RCI is replacing the regular sofa to sofa beds.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/oasis-of-the-seas/deck-plans/1840/12

thanks for this info- if I look at the deck plans for the later date (even though our trip is August 2018), I find that our cabin 12720 shows the triangle symbol which gives me hope!

Just an update, we got off from the Oasis last Sunday it was an amazing cruise. Our room does have a sofa bed. It is about the size of the pullman bed. Our 13 years old daughter, she is 4 ft 11inch slept comfortable on it. If you are comfortable on a pullman, you should be comfortable on the sofa bed. Like others mention the sofa bed on the cruise ship is not the same as the one you see at the hotel. It is more simplified, but it is much more better than an external roll-away bed that they push into your cabin which takes up extra space.

Therefore if you book a 3 person cabin and floor plan map on your cabin does not have an indicator to show the 3rd berth, the map plan may not be updated. Their IT department should update the floor plan map to avoid others from calling in to question.

Edited by StrikeEagle

FYI I have used both the fold out couch, an over head bunk and a roll-away bed. The couch was hard as a rock and I barely slept. The bunk is hard with a thin mattress on it and a bit claustrophobic. The roll away was definitely not a cot but a spring based frame with a comfy twin sized mattress and slept like a baby. I would chose that any day of the week.

Therefore if you book a 3 person cabin and floor plan map on your cabin does not have an indicator to show the 3rd berth, the map plan may not be updated. Their IT department should update the floor plan map to avoid others from calling in to question.

Are you referring to Royal Caribbean's IT department?

200.gifsource.gifRequiredCooperativeHamadryas.gifmuttley_laughing_by_sektor8bit-d7fv6sh.gif

Just an update, we got off from the Oasis last Sunday it was an amazing cruise. Our room does have a sofa bed. It is about the size of the pullman bed. Our 13 years old daughter, she is 4 ft 11inch slept comfortable on it. If you are comfortable on a pullman, you should be comfortable on the sofa bed. Like others mention the sofa bed on the cruise ship is not the same as the one you see at the hotel. It is more simplified, but it is much more better than an external roll-away bed that they push into your cabin which takes up extra space.

So in the end it turned out to be Shakespearean - Much Ado About Nothing.