Tampa Hotel Areas

We are looking at a one night stay in Tampa in September and I was looking at Rocky Point as an area. We are only staying one night, but plan to see our niece while there. She will be living in Clearwater at that time and will drive in to see us. We want to be convenient enough for her to come get us and meet us for dinner, but also not be terribly far from the airport, although our flight is not until 6PM the day after the cruise. We plan to ask the hotel to store our luggage after check out and be able to do something in the area before we leave for the airport around 3:30. I saw a decent price in Rocky Point and was wondering if this would be a good choice for an area? I was thinking about booking a refundable room now and then seeing later if I could do better with NYOP on Priceline for that area, or any other area that would be good for our situation.

Also, any suggestions on what before our flight? We have never been to Ybor City. Is that a good place to go during the day?

Rocky Point is a good choice, although I tend to steer people more towards Westshore. Just because it's a little closer to the airport and there are tons of food choices, and two malls and a Target and a Walmart nearby if you end up needing any of that. If those food/shopping options aren't needed, Rocky Point is about 10 minutes closer to Clearwater. If you're into aquariums, we have a good one here and it's right by the cruise terminals. And from there you can take the trolley to Ybor. It's a fun place to walk around and has some great options for lunch. The Tampa Riverwalk starts a few blocks west of the Florida Aquarium and it's always a nice stroll if you want to stretch your legs for a bit.