Colosseum

thinkink27

We are going on Epic this summer on a Western Med cruise.

We have a private tour and we are planning stops at Colosseum, Roman Forum and Ancient Rome, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, St. Peter's Basilica,Vatican Museums & Sistine Chapel.

We've bought tickets for the Vatican and now I am trying to figure out if getting tickets to the Colosseum would be a good idea - time wise. Wondering if there is other things to do around the area since there will be large crowds. We are planning on spending more time at the Vatican. Need some recommendations.

Thanks!

We are going on Epic this summer on a Western Med cruise.

We have a private tour and we are planning stops at Colosseum, Roman Forum and Ancient Rome, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, St. Peter's Basilica,Vatican Museums & Sistine Chapel.

We've bought tickets for the Vatican and now I am trying to figure out if getting tickets to the Colosseum would be a good idea - time wise. Wondering if there is other things to do around the area since there will be large crowds. We are planning on spending more time at the Vatican. Need some recommendations.

Thanks!

If you are doing this on a private tour I think you need to be discussing the options with your tour provider. They will be in a better position to work out how your time in the Vatican fits in with everything else.

I assume by 'tickets for the Vatican' means that you are intending to visit the Vatican museum and St Peters. To be honest if you are going to do it justice this would take about 3 - 4 hours (the museum itself is huge) and leave the rest of the sites as photo opportunities only. If you are visiting in summer it will be hot and hectic. If you can fit it in your already hectic schedule I would ask the driver to take you to the viewpoint on the Janiculum Hill and enjoy the view from under the trees. My favourite view in Rome.

If you are making stops at all the places you named, your schedule sounds crammed already. (Notwithstanding whatever they are considering "Ancient Rome" -- as separate from the Forum and Colosseum? :confused:)

Have you discussed with your tour provider how much time you'll have at these stops? Some of them can hardly be more than a quick photo op, right? With all of the crowds and the extra security in Rome in recent years, the common rule of thumb is that on a day tour from port you might have time for EITHER the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel OR an inside tour of the Colosseum, but not both.

If you are making stops at all the places you named, your schedule sounds crammed already. (Notwithstanding whatever they are considering "Ancient Rome" -- as separate from the Forum and Colosseum? :confused:)

Have you discussed with your tour provider how much time you'll have at these stops? Some of them can hardly be more than a quick photo op, right? With all of the crowds and the extra security in Rome in recent years, the common rule of thumb is that on a day tour from port you might have time for EITHER the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel OR an inside tour of the Colosseum, but not both.

Thanks! That’s what I figured too - can’t see both Vatican and the Colosseum.

We’ll see how long we stay at each location but you could be right. It could be like Chevy Chase in Vacation looking at the Grand Canyon - head bob, “ok, let’s go.”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums