Carnival loses luggage and doesn't care!

The one and only time an airline misplaced our bags, I was kind of hoping they wouldn't find them and that we would get replacement vouchers. The idea of new clothes and shoes was very appealing. Dh and I were young and kind of broke. We didn't have anything in our luggage we would have missed.

This thread does go ON....I don't understand how you can compare cruise lines and airlines...apples and oranges....AND it seems no one has done any right (Carnival) or any wrong (OP). Like a recent poster said...there's nothing in my luggage I WON'T miss, Cruise over, luggage returned...Score: Carnival "0" - OP "3"-- Monies given on board to purchase clothing, luggage returned, no loss there, 20% off future cruise.

I want to pop the bubble where people believe that the airlines are more responsive to missing luggage than the cruise lines. I don't think so. Although my link is not about missing luggage, it is about a broken item that United messed up on. Either people on this thread never heard of it or they have forgotten.

The airlines mishandling of the incident 'caused the song writer to write about the event and is not only memorialized in song but in MBA Marketing and P/R texts books and case studies.

Enjoy

Ramona

Same is so for airlines, yet they accept full responsibility regardless of what happens. It was left in their care and if not delivered to the passenger, they are accountable. Even if another passenger takes it - that would only be because they allowed that to happen while the luggage was in their care. They accept the luggage and are then responsible to deliver the luggage. They are accountable. Period. The passenger did exactly why they were supposed to do. Carnival did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure the airline’s responsibility ends when they prove the bag hit the carousel. If someone else takes it from there, how could the airline be at fault?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m pretty sure the airline’s responsibility ends when they prove the bag hit the carousel. If someone else takes it from there, how could the airline be at fault?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds familiar.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same is so for airlines, yet they accept full responsibility regardless of what happens. It was left in their care and if not delivered to the passenger, they are accountable. Even if another passenger takes it - that would only be because they allowed that to happen while the luggage was in their care. They accept the luggage and are then responsible to deliver the luggage. They are accountable. Period. The passenger did exactly why they were supposed to do. Carnival did not.

Since you are so absolute in your response one must assume you to be a lawyer or a judge with knowledge of all applicable laws and statutes, yes? And of course, in a court of law, it's usually the best lawyer who wins, not what the actual law states. ;)

This sounds like it could be a case of a "practical joke" by another passenger, a very cruel practical joke. That the luggage showed up when it did makes me think this might be the case. Just a guess though.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Cruel, but possible.

To make that theory believable, you would need people in another cabin who do not know what their luggage looks like, and don't open all their luggage.

Not necessarily. Could be a variety of reasons. Or thinking that the luggage belonged to the other person. Cold have unpacked separately and not realized that the luggage didn't belong to the other person. Freak things do happen. I think that Carnival worked with them the best that they could. All goes back to the original delivery of the luggage to the wrong room and was bot caught. Terrible experience, but they got the luggage back.

Carnival has some nice clothing in the on board gift shops. I am wondering why the OP could not come to an agreement with Carnival to choose clothing from the gift shop. It is a shame it came to tears because that just puts a damper on the cruise. You just have to make the best of situations like this and Carnival may have worked with you better. In my dealings with Guest Services, sometimes at first they come across as not wanting to help but as long as the interaction remains calm and positive, Guest Services has always remedied the situations for me. This was certainly not worth ruining a vacation.

I have been a road warrior for fifty years and have almost every suitcase calamity known to man but since the turn of the century I have not had a baggage problem. I can track the exact location of my gear with a cell phone. Works anywhere. It uses RFID, GPS, GSM, Wifi, and Iridium.

Last month on Horizon, one bag was "tardy." A look at the phone and it was about 75 feet away in front of the wrong cabin. Problem solved before they cast off the bow line.

The technology is now under $100 and can also be found built into suitcases. For me it is peace of mind, and allows me to track my own stuff. Sometimes I send luggage ahead of my travel, and I can track its location before I arrive.

• Like 1

I have been a road warrior for fifty years and have almost every suitcase calamity known to man but since the turn of the century I have not had a baggage problem. I can track the exact location of my gear with a cell phone. Works anywhere. It uses RFID, GPS, GSM, Wifi, and Iridium.

Last month on Horizon, one bag was "tardy." A look at the phone and it was about 75 feet away in front of the wrong cabin. Problem solved before they cast off the bow line.

The technology is now under $100 and can also be found built into suitcases. For me it is peace of mind, and allows me to track my own stuff. Sometimes I send luggage ahead of my travel, and I can track its location before I arrive.

Are you using Lugloc? Most of the trackers reference airports not cruise ships.

Ramona

Carnival has some nice clothing in the on board gift shops. I am wondering why the OP could not come to an agreement with Carnival to choose clothing from the gift shop. It is a shame it came to tears because that just puts a damper on the cruise. You just have to make the best of situations like this and Carnival may have worked with you better. In my dealings with Guest Services, sometimes at first they come across as not wanting to help but as long as the interaction remains calm and positive, Guest Services has always remedied the situations for me. This was certainly not worth ruining a vacation.

I think it had to do with sizing and something the stops don't sell, underwear. I don't think OP's wife had packed a change of cloths in their carry-on. When they got to the next port, they were celebrating a national holiday and no stores opened.

I think it had to do with sizing and something the stops don't sell, underwear. I don't think OP's wife had packed a change of cloths in their carry-on. When they got to the next port, they were celebrating a national holiday and no stores opened.

Yes, understood.

I guess this is a learning experience for all of us to pack extra clothes in carry ons and pack in multiple checked bags if possible. And don't let things like this ruin a hard earned vacation. Make the best of it.

Brilliant. All road warriors should be so savvy!

Which app do you use?

I would like to know as well. Ever since my luggage (got it back) was left at the Ft . Lauderdale cruise port instead of being sent to the airport, I have stuck a Tile key finder in my luggage. Of course my luggage has not gone astray since- but usually the signal is strong enough that I can verify that my luggage was loaded on the plane and I can usually pick up when it is coming into the luggage area at the airport.

Hi

You are just ignoring reality. Carnival owes them nothing.

They said Carnival lost their bag. The bag wasn't lost.

They said Carnival doesn't care. Carnival gave them $200. They said they had to fight for it. Of course you have to ask for compensation, when basically they owe you nothing. At best this was a case for an insurance claim...not to Carnival.

Carnival still offered them more...a 20% discount on a future cruise. How much do you think is fair for something that wasn't lost and at best would be considered inconvenient.

OMG, the voice of reason!!!

How does Carnival even know that bag existed and made it out of the guys car onto the ship? They could be pranking or trying to pull one over on CCL. I'm not saying that's what OP did at all, but it's just as believable as someone working over the staff for freebies on a "mystery bag".

In this case, OP probably won't be happy unless he gets his personal apology from the CEO and I'd be shocked to see a CEO stoop to such nonsense.

I guess in the end, I'd tell the guy thanks for his business, keep what we gave you, and good luck on your future RCCL cruises.

This post is for all those looking for Luggage Tracking Devices:

In my google and amazon search to find Luggage Tracking Tech. (There are suitcases that have it built in - But I have luggage already), I found this one LugLoc: https://lugloc.com/

On their WEB site I found a contact number/email and wrote an email asking for further information. I received this response (info on another product to be released this month, May, mid-month 2018:

Support Team (LugLoc)

May 13, 16:28 CDT

Ramona,

Sure that can work. The LugLoc bluetooth proximity sensor has 100 feet of range but If I were you I will take a look at our new product called GEGO at www.gego.io I can get you a 40% off for two or more units plus free shipping inside the US.

• It works over 3G networks worldwide. That means that GEGO has coverage in countries like Japan, where 2G was not available, and also improves connectivity in all countries since the 3G network is wider spread than 2G.
  • GEGO combines WiFi networks detection with Cell Tower locations, dramatically improving the accuracy of your location reports. GEGO will not only report the city you are at but literally give the exact address where it is. Since GEGO doesn't depend on GPS signal, it also works indoors.
  • GEGO is designed for flight travel, but also for personal use throughout the day. When the device is not near an airport, it will keep reporting its location when it is moving.
  • With GEGO, you can define "Safe Zones", that allow receiving notifications whenever the device enters or exit the area.
  • Battery life has been dramatically improved! GEGO reports its location every time it starts moving, instead of being online all the time. It also smartly turns ON or OFF, so you don't even need to activate an ON/OFF switch.
  • There is a 4.99 USS dollars fee but it can be cancelled at anytime.

The GeGo will be available at mid May.

Best regards,

Soooo, we have a lot to research, however, a new product that has not been released meaning not reviewed or tested by an independent outside party.

Ramona

This sounds like it could be a case of a "practical joke" by another passenger, a very cruel practical joke. That the luggage showed up when it did makes me think this might be the case. Just a guess though.

As I read this post, the more and more it seemed to me that perhaps one of two things happened. First, it have been delivered to the cabin and some very bad person took it to their room, only to return it the night before since they would be debarking the next day. Secondly, it could have been delivered to the wrong cabin and instead of doing what was right and making sure the luggage was returned to the rightful owners, they (more bad people) just keep it for the week and returned it for the same reason noted above. Either way, it was mean and spiteful, but neither scenario Carnival's fault. So, I'm not sure the total blame should go to them. Just food for thought.

Having said this, it is only a theory and the real story may never be known. While I would have never said what the Carnival rep said, losing luggage is a reality of life on trains, planes, buses, cruise ships, etc. It's just unfortunate that it happened to you on your first cruise and it was a special occasion. I can understand how that would be greatly frustrating and disheartening.

I can knock on wood and say thank the Good Lord, I have never had a piece of luggage lost on the 27 Carnival cruises I've been on, or the 32 total cruises. But, who knows, my time may be just around the corner. Afterall, I am pushing the odds pretty good!

no offense to anyone but I'm pretty sure that I am not attached to anything in my luggage enough to sob over someone losing it. I definitely wouldn't allow it to ruin my cruise.

I wouldn't cry in the lobby, but I would cry in my cabin for sure. I wear plus sized clothes. No way am

I finding a new bathing suit or much of anything else that will fit me in the stores on board. So, HMC is my first stop...no plus sized suits there either. So, n my favorite location on earth, I now have nothing to wear. THAT would make me very very sad. Sea days...no bathing suit, no cruise type clothes. That would really suck.

On our honeymoon, our luggage got delayed. We left very cold MN to arrive in very hot St Croix. Totally innappriate clothing and nothing to change into. Since then, we always have one outfit, extra undies and swim suits in our carry on.

• 3 weeks later...

So I wanted to add a conclusion to those that might still might be following this thread. After two emails "unanswered" and a phone call that ended up with nothing good, I decided to expand my outreach to individuals that might be slightly more concerned with how Carnival was reacting to customer service deficiency's. I sent out one further email to all of the board of directors of Carnival and tagged all of the Carnival officers.

It took about 15 minutes before I received an email from the director of customer service. She politely ask me to respond with a specific time to which she could call me and discuss my concerns. I setup a time for the next morning. After about a 25 minute conversation she was in complete agreement that not only did Carnival drop the ball they could have and should have done so much more to have made this trip a success. "I know that statement alone will shock many who posted on this thread that Carnival handle the situation appropriately." She was very concern, showed empathy and quite frankly shocked at how we were treated. She informed me that she wanted to discuss the issue further with her boss and she would call me back shortly. She did indeed call back within the hour and advise me that Carnival was requesting a do-over with our trip. Were going to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. So Carnival has given us a full credit towards a new cruise with them.

Quite frankly it was way more then I expected but after hearing our plight she thought it was the correct move. So yes it was a challenge and took almost two months to get resolution and going way up the food chain, Carnival finally took care of us. My wife and myself will give Carnival a second go and hope that memories created on this second trip will wipe out the nightmares of the first one. :D

So I wanted to add a conclusion to those that might still might be following this thread. After two emails "unanswered" and a phone call that ended up with nothing good, I decided to expand my outreach to individuals that might be slightly more concerned with how Carnival was reacting to customer service deficiency's. I sent out one further email to all of the board of directors of Carnival and tagged all of the Carnival officers.

It took about 15 minutes before I received an email from the director of customer service. She politely ask me to respond with a specific time to which she could call me and discuss my concerns. I setup a time for the next morning. After about a 25 minute conversation she was in complete agreement that not only did Carnival drop the ball they could have and should have done so much more to have made this trip a success. "I know that statement alone will shock many who posted on this thread that Carnival handle the situation appropriately." She was very concern, showed empathy and quite frankly shocked at how we were treated. She informed me that she wanted to discuss the issue further with her boss and she would call me back shortly. She did indeed call back within the hour and advise me that Carnival was requesting a do-over with our trip. Were going to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. So Carnival has given us a full credit towards a new cruise with them.

Quite frankly it was way more then I expected but after hearing our plight she thought it was the correct move. So yes it was a challenge and took almost two months to get resolution and going way up the food chain, Carnival finally took care of us. My wife and myself will give Carnival a second go and hope that memories created on this second trip will wipe out the nightmares of the first one. :D

Glad you finally got a good answer. This thread was in my mind as I purchased insurance for my next cruise. For the first time ever I didn't opt out of the lost luggage coverage. I realized there is a real possibility of things getting lost between the porters and our room.

So Carnival has given us a full credit towards a new cruise with them.

:D

Incredible outcome. Enjoy it. Cross-pack. Put your cell phone numbers and cabin numbers IN your suitcases. Wrap your bags in brightly colored ties or belts (helps if zippers break). hopefully lightning does not strike twice.