Bevv

Future new terminals in Galveston?

Apparently they are already moving forward with bidding and construction for a third terminal in Galveston.

Hopefully new terminals will bring in other cruise lines that will offer a regular variety of itineraries and longer cruises year round.

Hopefully new terminals will bring in other cruise lines that will offer a regular variety of itineraries and longer cruises year round.

I am hoping Princess will return.

Longer cruises with some different itineraries and port options would be fantastic!

I am hoping Princess will return.
I agree. We have been on 3 Princess cruises and always enjoy them. We have another booked for next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

One reported use of the new port is potentially for Oasis sized ships. I hope th8s does happen. I live 30 minutes from the port and do love the Oasis of the Sea so being able to take a short drive to get on one would be awesome.

One reported use of the new port is potentially for Oasis sized ships. I hope th8s does happen. I live 30 minutes from the port and do love the Oasis of the Sea so being able to take a short drive to get on one would be awesome.
This would be fantastic! You said "one reported use." Do you have this information from a reliable source?

The port director and RCI stated this at the tourism summit in May.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. Since RCI was there for the tourism summit in May, I'm hoping this means another RCI ship with some different itineraries will be offered.

We enjoy cruising on the ships/itineraries offered from Galveston, but I'm hoping for some longer cruises in the future. Also, it would be nice to have a different cruise line available as well.

Oasis class coming in. Princess wants to return. Working on other routes and making Galveston a port of call.

This would be awesome!! Any ideas on when we might see an official announcement?

This would be awesome!! Any ideas on when we might see an official announcement?

Will post when I know something definitive.

We are very much involved in Galveston

Will post when I know something definitive.

We are very much involved in Galveston

Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Better ingress regress with terminals at # 1 and # 2 at PORT off Harborside , and at I 45 and Harborside and beatification of Harborside are already in works.

2020 is being thrown around for larger RCL ship in Galveston ! But you know how that can be!

Park Board of Galveston and Galveston Convention and Visitors and galveston.com were responsible for the Tourism Summit and Galveston.com. They are responsible for marketing Galveston . . At summit there was way too much open talk about cruising and future happenings including RCL and larger ships and terminals.. Attendees were from State of Texas Tourism Office and Officals , marketing consulting firm for State of Texas, City of Houston Tourism Offices and Officials , all City of Galveston Officials, Top Port of Galveston Officials . The new Port Of Galveston Executive Director hired from Port Canaveral was also in attendance and contributed a lot of information ! All of these marketing entities are on cooperative basis and realize southeast Texas is at the hub of the entire Midwestern area of the US with a massive untapped marketplace ! . Some top RCL officials were also in attendance and for meetings with all about future of Galveston for tourism!

!

Thanks for the update SSB. Please post any further information as you learn about the progress being made. This is very exciting news.

I love the notion of any new ship coming out of Galveston. Cool. I worry about what that will do to the Del Monte processor or the BMW processor or whoever would be displaced, but I trust those are obstacles which could be overcome. Here is my larger question: Where are you going to put 6200 additional passengers on embarkation and debarkation? It almost seems like you would have to pick a Friday or Monday or some other day of the week for at least one ship to depart to have enough hotels, roads, restaurants, etc. The logistics are considerably more complex than simply building the new terminal... and I hope it happens anyway.

There are plenty of hotels along I45 on the mainland. I don't think that would end up being a problem. Restaurants shouldn't be that much of a problem, either - Galveston is a destination all on its own, and there are plenty of weekends where there are tens of thousands of non-cruise visitors to the island.

Roads and parking will be the biggest issues they will have to address.

I love the notion of any new ship coming out of Galveston. Cool. I worry about what that will do to the Del Monte processor or the BMW processor or whoever would be displaced, but I trust those are obstacles which could be overcome. Here is my larger question: Where are you going to put 6200 additional passengers on embarkation and debarkation? It almost seems like you would have to pick a Friday or Monday or some other day of the week for at least one ship to depart to have enough hotels, roads, restaurants, etc. The logistics are considerably more complex than simply building the new terminal... and I hope it happens anyway.

Present Piers 25 and 29 have terminals 1&2 . Piers 11 and 16 will have cruise ternminals 3&4 , and the current tenants will be relocated west down channel and / or to Pelican Island .

All ingress egress to terminal 1& 2 already soon presently are being changed and rerouted . Present entrance will no longer be used .

There are already many new and planned hotels on island and on mainland , along with all highways being completed , and improved and expanded . Galveston and cruise lines are already expanded in transfers and transportation. Still need the private industry to have better rent cars system but Uber and transfer companies has already replaced and provided most of that need . Enterprise is open on Sunday and rents cars .

Remember Galveston WITHOUT the cruise industry , is already major tourist destination with 32 miles of beach , culture and history , and two major convention centers . Tourist Support structure is already in place and expanding .

Additional infrastructure we are talking about is for cruising industry .

Several years ago when the Port hosted, RCCL, Carnival and Princess, there were over 11,000 passengers on any given day.

Since then , the Port infrastructure has improved greatly and continues to improve.

Captain on Liberty during Captains Corner get together, said Liberty leaving Galveston May 3 2020 and plans are still for an Oasis Class ship coming into Galveston. Captain also said it informally another time on this weeks Liberty cruise .

Looking forward to hearing which ship it will be, and then seeing if there will be a nice repo cruise to book coming into Galveston!

There will be a smaller Class RCL ship sharing Terminal #3 with The Oasis Class ship.

Celebrity or Royal ?

There will be a smaller Class RCL ship sharing Terminal #3 with The Oasis Class ship.

Celebrity or Royal ?

I would imagine that would be Enchantment of the Seas or its replacement. RCCL will have a second ship in Galveston full-time beginning in March, 2019 with the Vision of the Seas. Later in the year the Enchantment will become its replacement.

If anyone hears about a repositioning or transatlantic for the new Oasis class ship coming to Galveston, please post. We will be booking ASAP. I’m always the last to know.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If anyone hears about a repositioning or transatlantic for the new Oasis class ship coming to Galveston, please post. We will be booking ASAP. I’m always the last to know.

Margee

The Symphony of the Seas will be the next Trans-Atlantic crossing but that is just a month away. It will homeport in Miami. I do not know if they have begun construction for another one at this point. Symphony of course is the newest ship.

Margee

Hi Margee

As of now, last scheduled day for Liberty in Galveston is May 3 , 2020.

Lee and Mary

Hi, Lee and Mary

Are you saying the new Oasis class would be coming in May 2020 too? I was hoping for another transatlantic or repositioning. They may just move one of the Florida-based ships over. Whatever happens I want to be in on it[emoji16][emoji16]

Margee

Hi, Lee and Mary

Are you saying the new Oasis class would be coming in May 2020 too? I was hoping for another transatlantic or repositioning. They may just move one of the Florida-based ships over. Whatever happens I want to be in on it[emoji16][emoji16]

Margee

I don't believe there are any more ships currently under construction and not enough time to build one between now and Summer 2020. I did just learn the Vision of the Seas will be departing Galveston on 19 April for an Atlantic crossing.

I know that there's a lot of talk about an Oasis class ship coming, and I even heard it from the porters back in July, but is it official, I have a Bahamas cruise booked for 2019 and I'm going to hold off booking for 2020 hoping that latter is true

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Hi, Lee and Mary

Margee

Hi Margee:

That's the plan. Port signed an agreement with RCI last week. It will be an Oasis class coming to Galveston

Mary

Quotes about a week ago from Port Executive Director who was hired recently from Port Canaveral to achieve similar goals in Galveston as he did in Port Canaveral.

“When I think about the Vista coming in, it’s the first stage of the expansion of the cruise business in Galveston,” Director Rodger Rees said. “Coupled with the Oasis-class ship coming in, it shows the market can sustain the passenger counts we need and it will allow the port to really start looking forward.” The Carnival Vista Carnival Vista, which debuted in Miami in 2017, has room for about 4,000 passengers. It's 50 feet longer than the Breeze, so the port had to make some room. “We had to expand the upper floor , luckily we can use the same gangway we had before," Rees said. The port also added an extra entrance to their terminal and a longer dock, just to fit the sheer size of the ship. The ship will offer two seven-day Caribbean trips, departing each Sunday. The first includes calls at Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. The other trip includes stops at Mahogany Bay, Belize and Cozumel. The port is hoping this new ship helps sets them up to welcome more cruise lines in the future. “We’re fourth in the United States, and 12th in the world, and growing. We have another cruise terminal on the horizon," Rees said.

Galveston Daily News.

Edited by ssb

Captain on Liberty during Captains Corner get together, said Liberty leaving Galveston May 3 2020 and plans are still for an Oasis Class ship coming into Galveston. Captain also said it informally another time on this weeks Liberty cruise .

Correction on Liberty and other information as of today September 26, 2018 according to RCL Website:

First day for Vision is March 11, 2019 from New Orleans

Last day for Vision is April 19, 2019. Trans Atlantic

First day for Enchantment is May 6, 2019 from Port Canaveral

Last day for Enchantment is April 27, 2020.

Last day for Liberty is April 26, 2020.