Help translating to Norwegian

We'll be stopping in several ports later this summer. My wife has been getting sick from wheat gluten (here in the states). I wanted to make some little cards to have handy in case we end up someplace where we wanted to eat and were concerned. I've done the Google translate thing but I always worry that what it spits out would be meaningless to a native - hence my request... Can anyone give me a couple of translations?

1. Wheat gluten makes me sick.

2. I can not eat wheat gluten.

3. I do not have celiac but I am allergic to wheat.

Thanks for any help!

This is what Google gave me:

1. Hvete gluten gjør meg syk.

2. Jeg kan ikke spise hvete gluten.

3. Jeg har ikke celiac, men jeg er allergisk mot hvete.

Having spent a couple of vacations in Norway I think you will discover that most Norwegian’s speak English a lot better than many Americans. No harm bringing your translations but doubt you will need them.

A few things to note:

• Nearly all Norwegians speak fluent English.
  • If you run into someone who does not speak English, another local will most likely be able to translate if necessary.
  • In some of the tourist hot-spots, you will often encounter foreign seasonal workers, rather than Norwegians.
  • In bigger cities, many restaurant workers are from other European countries and may speak limited Norwegian (or hybrid Swedish Norwegian).
  • Local laws require that allergen information be readily available, so most menus and food labels will indicate whether something includes gluten.

If you want a backup plan just in case, you would be best just going with simple phrases like:

• Is it gluten-free? -- Er det glutenfri? (är dā glü-tᵊn frē)
  • I must have gluten-free. -- Jeg må ha glutenfri. (yī mō hä glü-tᵊn frē)

Your translations should also be fine (assuming the person in question knows what gluten and celiac are).

A few things to note:

If you want a backup plan just in case, you would be best just going with simple phrases like:

• Is it gluten-free? -- Er det glutenfri? (är dā glü-tᵊn frē)
  • I must have gluten-free. -- Jeg må ha glutenfri. (yī mō hä glü-tᵊn frē)

Thanks so much kaisatsu!

I realize that most folks that we're likely to encounter will in all probability speak English however I have found myself in situations where I wasn't in an area populated by tourists. I also suspect that in such a situation the whole question of a gluten issue could be one of those things that could be confusing. Unless you have an immediate associate dealing with such an issue, you might not even be aware that it is a problem (for some). Thanks also for your phonetic pronunciations!

You’re more likely to find a non-Norwegian speaker in a touristy place, than a non-English speaker in a non-touristy place. In my first five years here, I spoke pretty much no Norwegian, and in that time I encountered only 2-3 people who didn’t speak fluent English. Some of the manual labor jobs like cleaning and construction may be staffed by immigrants who do not speak English, so in those situations, it could be good to have a few words of Norwegian.

Otherwise (and as someone who has lived with a non-celiac wheat allergy), I just encourage you to think of ways to explain yourself in alternate terms. For example, when I first moved here and needed to buy corn starch, the stock person at the corner grocer didn’t understand “corn starch,” so I asked for “The powder that you you put in graavy or sauces that makes it get thicker,” and he knew exactly what I meant. I can’t count the number of times I was told in the US that “Oh, no, you can eat this! It’s made with white flour, not wheat flour!” Sigh. Luckily in Norway flour is nearly always qualified by grain, so it’s always “wheat flour” (hvetemel).

My experience in Denmark is that when someone tries to speak Danish, it sounds like they have a stroke instead. :p

I'm guessing its the same in Norway.

Point is, English is okay.

Off topic but in Denmark we have a sentence that we always tries to make foreigners say.

Fem flade flødeboller på et fladt flødebollefad.

Or the more simple rød grød med fløde. :D

Try that without breaking your tongue.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies.

Off topic but while in Denmark, nobody challenged our speaking abilities by making us say Danish tongue twisters. Everyone was great!

I should add that the concepts of grain/gluten allergy and celiac are quite often mixed up in the Nordic countries were "glutenintolerans" is a common word for celiac and probably the more familiar word to most people here even if it might be technically wrong.

Regarding the original question the Google translations looks OK to me (who speaks Swedish rather than Norwegian but the languages are very similar).