I'm on the NCL Jewel and just ordered a frozen Bushwhacker at the pool bar. The bartender brought it to me and apologized that there is no straw.

I thought at first he meant they ran out or just didn't have any, but he went on to explain that the company said to no longer give out straws.

It's not easy to drink a frozen drink without a straw.

And this is the third day. I had no issues in earlier days of getting a straw. I had to ask for one each time, but I got one.

So I'm not sure if it's just a pool bar thing or a shipwide policy.

To whom do I complain?

This breaking news came out about 2 weeks ago. This has been done for your convenience....ERR, environment.

Thanks for bringing this vital issue back to the front page.

To answer your question, you bring your concern to the bar manager or hotel director on board the ship that wouldn’t give you a straw.

On the Jewel as well. It is new policy coming from Miami yesterday or today. Straws are not anymore only available on guest request but completely banned. Don’t give the bar staff a hard time about it, the guideline from Miami was pretty strict the only venue still serving plastic straws is Starbucks on the newer ships.

Straw ban came into effect on April 1, 2018 - purely for environmental purposes. This is fine with us.

On last cruise on Spirit, we were poolside, and I asked for a Mudslide ... with a straw. They complied.

I took a bag of plastic straws from the Dollar Store for the frozen drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

on our Star sailing no straws. we did get them with frozen drinks however. maybe they could switch to paper straws?

Not an issue.

on our Star sailing no straws. we did get them with frozen drinks however. maybe they could switch to paper straws?

That would make sense

Wait, so you are on a cruise at this moment and took the time to complain about straws on an internet forum?

Going to be on the Dawn in March 2019 and if there are no straws I am going to remove my DSC. Just kidding. Thought I would get this thread really fired up. :)

7b6ae18fd8dc7eab3e90091e646a1254.jpg

I got these on Amazon. I like a straw with my drink. I won't be harming the environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the people that wishes to bring straws on-board, please take biodegradable ones. Amazon sell pack of 100 for 10-14 CAD and it will be good for the environment. This is what I will do so my kids can have straws for their drinks.

Wait, so you are on a cruise at this moment and took the time to complain about straws on an internet forum?

Some folks like to let the world know of their problems 24/7.

Plastic and paper straws can be recycled.

This is just a ridiculously cheap cost cutting move and could backfire by becoming the poster child for NCL nickel and diming.

For the people that wishes to bring straws on-board, please take biodegradable ones. Amazon sell pack of 100 for 10-14 CAD and it will be good for the environment. This is what I will do so my kids can have straws for their drinks.

No thank you.

Some restaurants in this area are no longer giving straws or have switched to paper ones.

On the Jewel as well. It is new policy coming from Miami yesterday or today. Straws are not anymore only available on guest request but completely banned. Don’t give the bar staff a hard time about it, the guideline from Miami was pretty strict the only venue still serving plastic straws is Starbucks on the newer ships.

This is a change, so thank you. Last week, straws were available by request. To say that are no longer available at all is different. Some drinks are much better with a straw, so I will be bringing my own aboard next cruise.

So I'm not sure if it's just a pool bar thing or a shipwide policy. To whom do I complain?

Don’t complain to anyone. It’s old news.

RCCL has talked about for a long time. They were talking about it again a few days before NCL implemented it a month and a half ago.

It is a great advancement in being green.

Believe it or not there are many people who still utilize cruise critic while they are on their cruise. That’s how you get the lovely “live” threads. It’s not really that hard or time consuming. Especially if you use the app.

Do the bars use cocktail picks for cherries ect. or umbrellas for "umbrella drinks"? I like my manhattan with some cherries on a pick.

This is just a ridiculously cheap cost cutting move and could backfire by becoming the poster child for NCL nickel and diming.

I do not agree with NCL banning straws. I mean, who wants to drink an alcoholic beverage without a straw, especially a frozen drink? That being said, maybe there is a real problem with straws making it into the ocean?

Don’t complain to anyone. It’s old news.

RCCL has talked about for a long time. They were talking about it again a few days before NCL implemented it a month and a half ago.

It is a great advancement in being green.

Not that old of news. If they want to complain then let them. I may not complain but knowing there is no straws, I will certainly bring my own.

While the plastic used to create the straws is recyclable, most do not accept straws as they do not recycle them. Looking at websites that list where and what you can recycle straws are not on the list.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I do not agree with NCL banning straws. I mean, who wants to drink an alcoholic beverage without a straw, especially a frozen drink? That being said, maybe there is a real problem with straws making it into the ocean?

A very real problem. Plenty of articles abound on the internet. It's why cities are starting to ban them too.

I got these on Amazon. I like a straw with my drink. I won't be harming the environment.

Make sure the straw doesn't weigh more than your drink, or else you'll be wearing your frozen drink!

Make sure the straw doesn't weigh more than your drink, or else you'll be wearing your frozen drink!

They're incredibly light and and strong. They can survive a mojito

I will bring my own PLASTIC straws on my next cruise. Bags and bags of em!!

Its happening on other lines as well.

Just off a Carnival cruise where pretty much straws were by request only. When being served a drink they would not serve you with a straw

Kind of glad for this reminder. Just ordered a set of reusable straws for me to have next week.

I can understand straws by request only but not at all seems a bit much IMO. I understand lots probably go to waste. I don’t understand why they can’t be recycled like all the other plastic on the ship.

Great idea. Just ordered mine. Most drinks I couldn't care less, but I want a straw with my frozen drinks, so these will be perfect.

I prefer unplugged vacations, but have no issue with people who want to stay plugged in. My confusion lies with why anyone would want to take the time (even just a moment) to complain to internet strangers while ON vacation. Once I am on a vacation, I am generally care free and adaptable. It takes a lot for something to upset me to the point that I dwell on it for any length of time.

My point is, many people still utilize cruise critic while on vacation. It takes no effort to make a post. So please don’t be confused. You are free to unplug while others will leisurely still peruse cruise critic and other sites.

A very real problem. Plenty of articles abound on the internet. It's why cities are starting to ban them too.

Banning them should not be the solution. Maybe more responsible laws on their use but banning something out right is just silly. Might as well ban the plastic cups and utensils while we are at it.

Banning them should not be the solution. Maybe more responsible laws on their use but banning something out right is just silly. Might as well ban the plastic cups and utensils while we are at it.

They are. Several cities and countries and companies are banning single use plastics. In the breakroom at my company all cups, utensils, plates, and bowls are biodegradable or compostable. It's not like there's not plenty of alternatives out there and if a ban is the only way to make people use them then so be it.

My point is, many people still utilize cruise critic while on vacation. It takes no effort to make a post. So please don’t be confused. You are free to unplug while others will leisurely still peruse cruise critic and other sites.

You seem to be missing my point...I find it silly to put in any effort (yes, taking out your phone and writing a post requires some level of effort) to complain about something so silly while on vacation.