Drinking straws

tiger-91

Was on the Bliss May 10-25. Was given a paper/cardboard straw at one point (I requested a straw) for a Mango Meltdown. Did not like using it because it tasted like cardboard. So if going with paper straws, try them out first to make sure they don’t ruin the drink with their taste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think paper straws may be a little cheaper... :cool:

Yeah! This one is very expensive [emoji53] I still bought it, cause if it works it’s perfect for me. I hate having to carry things around, I needed something like this that I could clip on..no straw on cruise was not an option for me personally.

But I thought for sure someone would get a laugh out of the video.. you have to admit it’s pretty ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read today that the next big thing for environmentalists is people going in the water with sunscreen on, killing the fish. They say up to 14,000 tons of sunscreen are released into the water each year.

Pretty soon, we won’t be able to breath on cruises. I am sure they will find something wrong with that.

https://www.thedailybeast/sunscreen-great-for-humans-awful-for-the-ocean

I read today that the next big thing for environmentalists is people going in the water with sunscreen on, killing the fish. They say up to 14,000 tons of sunscreen are released into the water each year.

Pretty soon, we won’t be able to breath on cruises. I am sure they will find something wrong with that.

I would agree with you. Environmentalists go after every thing. Even things like plates... Don't use paper plates because it causes to many trees to be cut down.. Then use paper plates because of all of the soap that gets Into the water. Sheesh.

I really wonder how many straws from a cruise ship actually make it into the sea. None of mine ever went any where other than the proper waste receptacle

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Hawaii has band sunscreens containing the chemicals oxybenzone and octinoxate which hurt the coral reefs. There are many brands that are okay that don't contain those chemicals.

If you saw what ships were dumping daily 20 years ago, you would be shocked.

On our first cruise ever (1984) we sat watching the crew dump 33 gallon-sized black plastic bags of garbage over the aft railing- one after the other- into the ocean as we were cruising from Bermuda to NY. We questioned the crew and were told that that is how they disposed of the garbage. We were shocked, watching the long line of bags bobbing behind the ship. To this day I can't get that sight out of my mind. I even wrote a letter to the cruise line back then, with no reply, of course.

I have not read all the posts since there are so many, so I don't know if this has been brought up. Upon telling my daughter that they are doing away with straws on ships, she said that I should get a reusable straw and just put it on a lanyard. I bet all the people that hate lanyards would go nuts with this. Not only the ship card, but straws on lanyards too! I thought it was funny and wanted to share.

Yes, this is hilarious ... I do chuckle out loud! :D

Thanks to OP for the heads up ... I am bringing along a few straws I swiped from (land-based) Starbucks ;p with me onto the Escape ... embarking in a few days, June 10 (woo hoo hoo!) :)

It's really disheartening to hear people saying that what NCL is doing is a "joke" or some plot to save money. These are the people I am going to be travelling with? Here is what is happening in the real world.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2018/05/31/hotels-airlines-airports-cruises-getting-rid-plastic-straws-and-waste/658804002/

The problem of bringing your own straws is what to do with them when they are not in use. I get up in the morning and have breakfast....ok fine carry straw to breakfast.....now I go to and activity...do I now have to carry it during the activity? You could say you just throw the first away and use a new one later....but then again....I may due the go karts on the Bliss. What do I do with the first straw or with the bunch I plan using throughout the day? I bounce around the ship a lot and also drink a lot of soda or virgin drinks....having to carry straws around all day is a huge pain. I tend to drink my drinks fast as well, so ice hardly melts and when you get to the bottom of a glass you get a face full of ice if not using a straw.

People complain about all the trash that is in the ocean, but how many of us have seen these huge islands of trash while crusing. Yes there is trash in the ocean and if we do our part in not throwing things in it, then the few things that make it in by accident will be very little

It's really disheartening to hear people saying that what NCL is doing is a "joke" or some plot to save money. These are the people I am going to be travelling with? Here is what is happening in the real world.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2018/05/31/hotels-airlines-airports-cruises-getting-rid-plastic-straws-and-waste/658804002/

I do not believe that anyone is making a joke of the trash in our oceans. I just think we are focusing on some pretty trivial matters in our attempts to save the environment. As a life-long Engineer, I can tell you that the carbon emissions from these monster cruise ships have a much more detrimental impact on the overall environment than the straws used during a cruise. Plus, almost everyone going on these cruises has to fly or drive to the departure location, adding even more carbon to the footprint. Adding in the oils and hydraulic fluids that naturally emit from these vessels, the environmental impact is pretty severe.

Are we all willing to give up our cruises until technology figures out a carbon-free replacement for the monster diesels running these cruise ships?

Just off the Sun. Brought my own straws. Watched NCL burn through tens of thousands of one time use plastic cups. Why not use reusable plastic like Royal does?

Because that would require a significant investment. On their part. That’s why it’s a joke.

Just off the Dawn and I gotta admit....I missed straws with my alcoholic beverages at night. I can live without it when drinking water or soda but when I'm having a cocktail, I like a straw to keep stirring my drink! A few times there was a little all natural little spear in a lime and I would use that to stir and fiddle with. Some drinks just need mixing over and over.... :p

I do not believe that anyone is making a joke of the trash in our oceans. I just think we are focusing on some pretty trivial matters in our attempts to save the environment. As a life-long Engineer, I can tell you that the carbon emissions from these monster cruise ships have a much more detrimental impact on the overall environment than the straws used during a cruise. Plus, almost everyone going on these cruises has to fly or drive to the departure location, adding even more carbon to the footprint. Adding in the oils and hydraulic fluids that naturally emit from these vessels, the environmental impact is pretty severe.

Are we all willing to give up our cruises until technology figures out a carbon-free replacement for the monster diesels running these cruise ships?

THIS. We have a winner. The joke is they are eliminating the straws to help save the environment but continue to serve each drink in disposable plastic cups that can tend to fly overboard just like the straws if not disposed of properly. Yes. eliminating straws will help the environment, but there is so much more they could do that would have an even greater impact on the environment if they were truly striving to be environmentally friendly.

Whataboutism. Rampant in today's world. What about plastic cups? What about carbon emissions? Etc. You don't like something so you change the subject.

Get rid of the straws AND the cups, but don't denigrate the effort to do one because the other isn't being dealt with. Yet.

Whataboutism. Rampant in today's world. What about plastic cups? What about carbon emissions? Etc. You don't like something so you change the subject.

Get rid of the straws AND the cups, but don't denigrate the effort to do one because the other isn't being dealt with. Yet.

The point I believe the other person is making is to stop these acts that have a small effect and start with the bigger things. If you knock out the bigger things then there may be no need to worry about a few straws. Will a few animals get killed.. Sure but who says that saving those few might affect how another animal may now die because the first is still living. There are always dangers in the world and it will never be a safe place.

My opinion is that things like the end of straws will have so little impact that it is not worth it. People go after the small things to make them feel better when it really has almost no impact to the planet

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

THIS. We have a winner. The joke is they are eliminating the straws to help save the environment but continue to serve each drink in disposable plastic cups that can tend to fly overboard just like the straws if not disposed of properly. Yes. eliminating straws will help the environment, but there is so much more they could do that would have an even greater impact on the environment if they were truly striving to be environmentally friendly.
It will be interesting what will be next, because something has to be done about plastic, especially when you have a pilot whale wash ashore and they find that it had 17 pounds of plastic (80 plastic bags were among the 17 pounds).

You can stay home and not travel with us if it causes you too much stress. ;p

And that is the key right there. Liberal activists won't be happy until EVERYTHING has been banned.....and most likely they will still be unhappy.