disembarkation - first time cruisers

Babs67

Hi

Going on Epic on 17 June - easyjet have now brought our flight time home forward by an hour - we need to be at Barcelona airport by 9am......our itinerary shows we dock at 5am so that should give us plenty of time..but im just not sure of the procedures as this will be our first cruise.....

thanks

babs

You may want to post this on the NCL board to get better answers there. Here is the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

But even with a 5:00 AM dock time, most early departures would not take place before about 6:00 - possibly later - and it may take some time to clear customs, etc. That also assumes no delay to the port, etc. Sounds like enough time but I don't know how far the airport is from the pier to know how tight your time window is.

You should call the airline and tell them the new time won't work for you. Most times, they will rebook the flight with no fees or penalties. I would be uncomfortable with that much rushing in the morning!

We were late arriving in Barcelona a year ago. Fortunately, we were on a b2b so were not really inconvenienced. People with early flights out were hysterical. It was right at 9am that the first passengers got off.

thanks ...stress levels through the roof - am going to request easyjet put us on the next flight (whicjh to Belfast is the next day)...will just take the hit ourselves for an extra night in hotel......don't know what we were thinking booking the flight home on the same day.....thankfully we are flying out a few days before cruise begins.....:loudcry:

I'm glad you decided to change the flight. You were never going to make that one. Remember, you need to be at the AP 2 hours before the flight leaves so you really had to be there at 7 a.m. A good rule of thumb is your flight should be scheduled to depart no earlier than 5-6 hours after your scheduled arrival.

I'm glad you decided to change the flight. You were never going to make that one. Remember, you need to be at the AP 2 hours before the flight leaves so you really had to be there at 7 a.m. A good rule of thumb is your flight should be scheduled to depart no earlier than 5-6 hours after your scheduled arrival.

I asked this previously - OP has not confirmed. Don't know if 9:00 is the flight time or the time they need to arrive at the airport to allow the 2 hour window, which would mean an 11:00 departure. They originally said they need to be at the airport by 9:00. Tight either way, however.

flight is at 10.55am so need to checkin for Belfast at 8.55.......needing a taxi by 8.30ish - Easyjet have offered us the next morning flight so we just need a hotel....worse things in life than having an extra night in Barcelona! Thanks for all the replies - lesson learned!

flight is at 10.55am so need to checkin for Belfast at 8.55.......needing a taxi by 8.30ish - Easyjet have offered us the next morning flight so we just need a hotel....worse things in life than having an extra night in Barcelona! Thanks for all the replies - lesson learned!

Enjoy your cruise - and your extra day in Barcelona.

I am glad that you called your airline and got your flight changed.

Quite a few years ago we arrived in Barcelona late and many people missed their flights. We had booked a hotel for 3 days after the cruise as this was our first time there.

We always arrived in the embarkation port 2 or 3 days early and stay over a couple of stays at the end.

You are doing the best thing. A day in Barcelona is worth the extra night hotel stay. Plus, you will have a chance to relax after disembarking before you need to ramp up the activity of getting on your flight. We rarely ever fly out the same day we arrive by ship.

Oh, that's a relief... once we did end up at Barca airport at 8.50, but it's a huge airport, and they were already checking in Easyjet to Newcastle for 11.30... luckily we were on a later flight with KLM. I'd have been stressed all night!

Enjoy your extra holiday! :)