Beverage Package Question

ksmaxey

Got it. So it's 15 limit counted each day. Is there a different card for the beverage package?

Sorry, but @RuthC is incorrect. Bottled water IS NOT counted in the 15 drink maximum for the HAL beverage packages. The 15 drink limit only applies to alcoholic beverages, so sodas are not counted either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you purchase the SBP or EBP ahead of your cruise, or it is included with Explore-4, your room key will have SBP or EBP printed on the upper right corner. If you purchase it onboard, with the $5 per day penalty for the SBP, a bartender will place a sticker on your card saying SBP. Yes, you use your room card for all drink purchases. I have never had a problem ordering a 2nd beer in less than 5 minutes. (The first beer always goes down fast after a hot day ashore). I have also ordered doubles (in the same glass) of many cocktails with no problem. Don't even think of slipping a drink to a friend on your card. The bartenders and waiters are alert to this and will cancel your beverage package with NO REFUND. What you paid for the package for the whole cruise is gone. You will be paying as you go for the rest of the cruise. So, don't try to scam the system, you will be caught.

There’s really no need to scam the system since HAL requires all 21+ passengers in the same stateroom to purchase the beverage card if one person buys it. So if you’re traveling with another adult in the same cabin, you’d both have your own card anyway and can get your own drinks.

Trying one last time. Has anyone purchased the SBP online pre-cruise and then upgraded onboard to the Elite Beverage Package and then saved the $5 per day?

(The SBP is $5 per day cheaper if bought before boarding but there is no discount on the EBP)

We upgraded the Explore 4 SBP to EBP. They told us that the paid one could be upgraded as well. It was $11.50/pp/day - the $10.00 difference plus service charge.

Sorry, but @RuthC is incorrect. Bottled water IS NOT counted in the 15 drink maximum for the HAL beverage packages. The 15 drink limit only applies to alcoholic beverages, so sodas are not counted either.

This makes me feel better. I guess I will have to call to make sure this is true?!?

I wish you were correct but based on the many beverage package threads I have read Ruth is correct. What is the source of your information?

Thanks. I will be packing my water, some sodas for my husband and some regular water. We will more than likely be spending several days on the beaches and want to make sure we have things to drink.

Why would you pack regular water? The ship's water is very good and very pure.

There’s really no need to scam the system since HAL requires all 21+ passengers in the same stateroom to purchase the beverage card if one person buys it. So if you’re traveling with another adult in the same cabin, you’d both have your own card anyway and can get your own drinks.

You are incorrectly assuming that the beverage package purchaser might only be interested in buying a drink for someone with whom they are sharing a cabin. People often cruise as part of a group occupying more than one cabin, not all of whom might have purchased a package, or simply make friends during the course of the cruise.

It appears that sodas and water are included in the 15 drink limit. See http://www.cruiseexperts.com/news/2017/05/16/holland-america-line-cruise-drink-packages/

HAL's website doesn't specifically mention water, but sodas, coffee and non-alcoholic cocktails are definitely counted within the 15 beverage daily limit. I don't know where you are acquiring your information, but you might want to re-evaluate your source.

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day).

I wish you were correct but based on the many beverage package threads I have read Ruth is correct. What is the source of your information?

My source is personal experience! I cruise HAL quite a bit and always get the SBP and know for a fact that the 15 drink limit only applies to alcoholic drinks. I always get a bottled water with every alcoholic drink I order and it does not count against the 15. Specialty coffees don’t count either. I just cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam in May and actually hit the 15th alcoholic drink limit late one night on a sea day. The bartender let me know that it was my last “free” drink. Anything after that I had to pay for. But I could still get water or soda with no problem. But by then, it was definitely time for bed! [emoji483]🤣

20 cruises and counting!

But I will add that the way HAL words it on their website is confusing, so certainly call them direct if you don’t want to rely on my experience and I’m sure they’ll confirm what I’ve said.

20 cruises and counting!

My source is personal experience! I cruise HAL quite a bit and always get the SBP and know for a fact that the 15 drink limit only applies to alcoholic drinks.

Then you have gotten very, very lucky having either beverage managers, or stewards, who misinterpreted HAL's policy. That's based both on their written policy and the personal experience of many other passengers (including me).

My source is personal experience! I cruise HAL quite a bit and always get the SBP and know for a fact that the 15 drink limit only applies to alcoholic drinks. I always get a bottled water with every alcoholic drink I order and it does not count against the 15. Specialty coffees don’t count either. I just cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam in May and actually hit the 15th alcoholic drink limit late one night on a sea day. The bartender let me know that it was my last “free” drink. Anything after that I had to pay for. But I could still get water or soda with no problem. But by then, it was definitely time for bed! [emoji483]🤣

This might explain why your recollection differs from that of other passengers! :D:D:D

This might explain why your recollection differs from that of other passengers! :D:D:D

Cute @Fouremco! But my recollection is crystal clear on this matter! [emoji483][emoji483]

20 cruises and counting!

Post 39, yes you are correct and you have called HAL, the same as I did....15 drinks includes ALL drinks, alcoholic, water, soda...I called them previously and was told the same, so we can finally close this thread knowing what HAL policy is...wow, what a thread, but glad to have it settled....for those who do not believe us, called HAL and post their response here, but most likely you will get the same answer as we did..duh

I thought this thread was dead, but just wanted to ask a few more questions, please? We would like to order a bucket of beer with our package. Is this permitted on the SBP. We would like to keep the bucket, take it back to our cabin, put a note on it asking the steward not to take it away, put ice in it on a daily basis and put our beer and bottled water in it so that we can have cold (the fridge of course does not keep drinks that cold) drinks in or cabin without going to the bar. Ship services could not answer this question. And just one more question: how does one know how many drinks they have had in one day: are we given a receipt, or do we have to ask the bartender?

I thought this thread was dead, but just wanted to ask a few more questions, please? We would like to order a bucket of beer with our package. Is this permitted on the SBP. We would like to keep the bucket, take it back to our cabin, put a note on it asking the steward not to take it away, put ice in it on a daily basis and put our beer and bottled water in it so that we can have cold (the fridge of course does not keep drinks that cold) drinks in or cabin without going to the bar. Ship services could not answer this question. And just one more question: how does one know how many drinks they have had in one day: are we given a receipt, or do we have to ask the bartender?

You will not be able to purchase a bucket of beer as part of your SBP but you should be able to get an empty bucket and fill it via several purchases during the day (some bars are open well before lunch). Just grab a beer every time you are heading back to your cabin and ask for not to be opened - staff are meant to open them I think but I'm sure you can explain and they will be understanding. Note that the minibar drinks are NOT covered by the SBP. You should get a receipt with each beverage purchase.

The receipts you may or may not get with each beverage purchase with the package will not show any drink totals for the day. You may or may not get your total from the bartender or waiter. HAL will keep pouring drinks for you as long as you can reach the bar and stand up. Why would they tell you that you are at the 15 drink limit ? They are in the business of selling drinks. The waiters get 15% out of every drink you purchase. They will not be falling over themselves to cut you off, or tell you that your next drink will cost you full price on your cabin account. They will just keep pouring. "It's not personal Sonny, it's just business". (from Godfather 1)