smakle

Text & Data on Bermuda

I will cruise to Bermuda in August. I have T-Mobile Service. How is data and text? I know T-Mobile have 2G Service. Is that Good enough for Facebook? Snapchat?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did not try to video chat.

But T-mobile guarantees 2G service. What you GET changes from country to country. When you arrive and connect your phone to the local service, you will get a text message telling you what you will get.

Some countries I get LTE data.

When you power on your T-Mo device upon arrival in Bermuda (Dockyard ?? usually for NCL ships these days) - roaming data enabled & out of Airplane Mode, you will get a "Welcome Message to Bermuda (roaming)" including rates & charges specific to your plan.

You should be connected to T-Mo's local roaming partner, DigiCel & its signal was very good, even 2 years ago at Dockyard, we easily picked up the cellular tower's signal from our balcony on Deck 10, facing the direction of ClockTower Mall.

2G data speed is slow by today's standard, it's just faster than old analog dial-up, sufficient for basic email & light browser on mobile browsers not burdened with graphics & images. You really need 3G or better/faster speed to read emails, unless you tweak & trim your email settings to disable graphics & images, etc. from loading.

It is adequate at 2G speed for SMS & texting, but really good enough for video calling - whether it's Facebook, Facetime or Skype - unless you change them to audio calling only, which used less bandwidth.

It is always worth a free & quick 611 call to T-Mo Customer Care to review and check your coverage, and reconfirm your settings are enabled for international use.

We use Google's Project Fi for our travel needs and via DigiCel, used to get 3G services but since our last visit to the island, now up with 4G data services - able to use our devices on the ferry over to St. George's.

When you power on your T-Mo device upon arrival in Bermuda (Dockyard ?? usually for NCL ships these days) - roaming data enabled & out of Airplane Mode, you will get a "Welcome Message to Bermuda (roaming)" including rates & charges specific to your plan.

You should be connected to T-Mo's local roaming partner, DigiCel & its signal was very good, even 2 years ago at Dockyard, we easily picked up the cellular tower's signal from our balcony on Deck 10, facing the direction of ClockTower Mall.

2G data speed is slow by today's standard, it's just faster than old analog dial-up, sufficient for basic email & light browser on mobile browsers not burdened with graphics & images. You really need 3G or better/faster speed to read emails, unless you tweak & trim your email settings to disable graphics & images, etc. from loading.

It is adequate at 2G speed for SMS & texting, but really good enough for video calling - whether it's Facebook, Facetime or Skype - unless you change them to audio calling only, which used less bandwidth.

It is always worth a free & quick 611 call to T-Mo Customer Care to review and check your coverage, and reconfirm your settings are enabled for international use.

We use Google's Project Fi for our travel needs and via DigiCel, used to get 3G services but since our last visit to the island, now up with 4G data services - able to use our devices on the ferry over to St. George's.

Thank you so much for detail information [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums