Sliding roof over the pool -- when do they use it?

I know this seems like a silly question, but do they only close it when it's raining hard? Do they ever close it when the weather is just on the cooler side, especially on sea days when everyone is looking for something to do?
This morning I watched a new YouTube video of the Nieuw Amsterdam cruising in the inside passage, in bright sun, with the roof over the pool closed.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

They manage the roof in different ways. Sometimes it is partially closed...almost closed....just a little bit closed....wide open....completely closed.

All this depends on the weather....temperature....wind....rain....showers....whatever the crew thinks is appropriate.

One never knows if it will be open.....or to what degree.

One thing is for sure....The roof is a great feature of HAL ships and it makes the mid-ship area usable in all kinds of weather any place in the world.

The closed glass dome in Alaska gives it a very nice, toasty sun room feeling - even when the sun is out the winds can be cold, particularly when they come off a nearby glacier. It is a great place for just sitting and viewing - most the chairs get turned towards the windows, instead of the pool on those scenic at sea day cruses.

They make very good use of that wonderful feature on HAL ships. it akes a mere 1 0 minutes to open if from partially lc closed. tol open it lest somew. They can repostion it to partiallhy or fully open qucikly if the weather changes.

it takes no prior planning .

Edited by sail7seas

This is great to hear, thank you. We are doing the NE/Canada cruise and I know from prior experience sailing up there that it's not always hot and sunny up on deck once you get into northern NE and into Canada. Even just being able to partially close it and block some of the wind would be wonderful. I'm so glad to hear that they use it and use it well. Thanks everyone!

I have done ghe Boston to Montreal and Montrreal to Boston, itinerary b-b- a great many times and while, of course, no one can promise weather . Do not kid yourself. We have had some very warm and sunny days. We have done those cruises in JUne, July and August........ Bring some clothes for warm weather and a swim suit..

BUt also bring at laest a light weight water resistent jacket, jus t i n case.

That is a great itinerary and you well could enjoy some time at the pool.

We, in Boston and New England had a very hot, humid summer last yer and who know s if it will be the same this year. :)

You surely would want light clothes for that weather..

I'd never given a whole lot of thought to the opening and closing of the roof, as it's usually open or extreme weather clearly dictated it being closed. On the Maasdam a couple of years ago, however, while enjoying a mid-September Canada-New England cruise, there was quite a kerfuffle over the roof's positioning on the only sea day. It was a glorious, sunny day, a bit chilly early on, but with the roof closed, it was like a hot house by mid-morning. The crew opened the roof to the cheers of the majority of passengers, but a small handful of vociferous complainers made it very clear that they were not happy with the decision and tried to have the crew close it again. The crew explained that the majority wanted the roof open, and that the ambient temperature was well within the range for having it open anyway, so it was staying open for the time being. The complainers continued to complain, several making a big show of wrapping themselves in towels to ward off frostbite. One of the more vocal members of that group, who happened to be sitting on a lounge chair just in front of us, soon stripped back to her bathing suit and, not long after, was enjoying a swim in the pool. Talk about much ado about nothing!

Edited by Fouremco

I'd never given a whole lot of thought to the opening and closing of the roof, as it's usually open or extreme weather clearly dictated it being closed. On the Maasdam a couple of years ago, however, while enjoying a mid-September Canada-New England cruise, there was quite a kerfuffle over the roof's positioning on the only sea day. It was a glorious, sunny day, a bit chilly early in the day but with the roof closed, it was like a hot house by mid-morning. The crew opened the roof to the cheers of the majority of passengers, but a small handful of vociferous complainers made it very clear that they were not happy with the decision and tried to have the crew close it again. The crew explained that the majority wanted the roof open, and that the ambient temperature was well within the range for having it open anyway, so it was staying open for the time being. The complainers continued to complain, several making a big show of wrapping themselves in towels to ward off frostbite. One of the more vocal members of that group, who happened to be sitting on a lounge chair just in front of us, soon stripped back to her bathing suit and, not long after, was enjoying a swim in the pool. Talk about much ado about nothing!

Y ou can please most of the people some of the time.

Some people you can never please. :(

I think most of the time, HA L crews

Try hard to strike a good balance..

Edited by sail7seas

You can please most of the people some of the time.

Some people you can never plesae.

I think H Al tries hard, most of the time to strike a good balance.

Edited by sail7seas

Some people you can never please. :(
Very true. I think Holland America, both it's dress and it's management, do a great job striking a balance.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I have seen the roof opened on a beautiful day and anything that wasn't nailed down blew away.

The shops people selling their stuff around the pool were not happy, neither were the bar tenders, so the roof was soon closed.

Someone got my half finished Sudoku.

Sandra

I’m on the Veendam as I type this. We started in Montreal in May 5th. The pool roof was closed the whole time - it was very cold all the way to Boston but at the pool, it was nice. Yesterday, the sea day to Bermuda was cold and foggy.

This morning, Monday the 14th, the roof was opened as we entered the harbor at Hamilton. The weather here is lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They make very good use of that wonderful feature on HAL ships. it akes a mere 1 0 minutes to open if from partially lc closed. tol open it lest somew. They can repostion it to partiallhy or fully open qucikly if the weather changes.

it takes no prior planning .

Didn't you just say this exact same thing in your post #7?:confused:

We, in Boston and New England had a very hot, humid summer last yer and who know s if it will be the same this year. :)

You surely would want light clothes for that weather..

Oh, I hear ya... I live in New England, too. And as the old saying goes, if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute -- it'll change! :'):D

I have done ghe Boston to Montreal and Montrreal to Boston, itinerary b-b- a great many times and while, of course, no one can promise weather . Do not kid yourself. We have had some very warm and sunny days. We have done those cruises in JUne, July and August........ Bring some clothes for warm weather and a swim suit..

BUt also bring at laest a light weight water resistent jacket, jus t i n case.

That is a great itinerary and you well could enjoy some time at the pool.

Yes, you really never know with this cruise, as with Alaska. Best to be prepared for all possibilities. Glad to hear you enjoyed this itinerary -- we are really looking forward to it. It's our 5th cruise as a family.

Southern Caribbean the roof was closed on a beautiful day on the K-Dam it was getting hot. So I asked the bartender why it was closed and he didn't have an answer so made a call. Flies... Cant remember which island but guess it was bad enough they had to keep it closed for passenger comfort.

Southern Caribbean the roof was closed on a beautiful day on the K-Dam it was getting hot. So I asked the bartender why it was closed and he didn't have an answer so made a call. Flies... Cant remember which island but guess it was bad enough they had to keep it closed for passenger comfort.

Birds often fly in. Adds to the ambience.

Roz