Tipping on ship?

I understand that much. I would rather a better percentage go to those who specifically take care of me than it spread around to some who honestly had minute barring on my experience. There is a reason cruises cost a lot, you are paying for a whole experience, that SHOULD be included in the total cost.

Let’s be honest. The culture is how it is on cruise ships so that companies can underpay even more and expect travelers to pick up the slack. A lot of other countries don’t share this tipping culture like America does. Those who travel to countries like those in Europe, and Japan, would know this. Where tips are only nice but not really expected.

But the main people taking care of you on the cruise, waiter, asst waiter, and cabin steward do get the bulk of the gratuities.

Bill

If you’re spending time worrying about $14.50 a day, you probably can’t afford to cruise. Just pay your damn share or stay home. Those folks bust their butts to please you. If you don’t want to pay your auto grats, you should personally notify every staff member and give them a heads up on day one of your cruise. But the reality is that you don’t have the cajones to do that. More than likely you sheepishly remove them on the last night.

You don’t get paid on how hard you bust your butt, you get paid by results. If they can’t perform you job due to cutbacks, that’s on X. Cutting them completely might be going overboard, but a reduction could be warranted. The point isn’t if you can or can’t afford it, it’s paying extra for a service that isn’t over and above the norm. When you contribute to someone’s cruise, you can voice your opinion on how it’s spent. If not, worry about your own situation.

Any of you that pay $58 per day for a family of 4 are getting taken advantage of and I laugh at all of you blindly give your money away. Given the situation OP described of only being served dinner and having your room cleaned should not add up to the amount the cruise lines charge. Drop the auto tips, directly tip those who serve you well, and smile at the idiots who have a couple hundred dollars less than you because they got swindled.

If you don’t pay at least the suggested amount then those who serve you are being shafted and not receiving the pay for which they are working. If you are that cheap, you should find another way of vacationing in a different culture. Simple as that. I hope you inform all of those who serve you on the first day that they will be receiving only a portion of their salary from you and your family because you are too cheap to pay the full amount. To do otherwise would make you not only cheap but deceitful as well.

These threads are so pointless. The system is what it is. This is how cruise staff earn a living. If you don't like, don't cruise.

And the reason for opening, reading, and posting on a pointless thread is....

From the OP's questions it appears he/she is new to cruising and trying to figure things out.

Why make things more difficult then need be? Leave the auto gratuities on, and give extra to anyone who goes above and beyond for you. Yes, the tips add up - especially on a long cruise, but it is what it is. I get so tired of reading about people who claim to object to the tips on a philosophical level, but in reality they just want to spend less money. So when you are at home in your own culture, tip what is the normal rate. But when you are on a cruise - go with what the cruise line suggest and you will be sure to take care of everyone who made your cruise fantastic.

Amen to this! Well said. I agree whole heartedly. And there are three of us in a cabin, sometimes, five, and we all pay the same, happily. The staff look after my kids as much as they look after us - even if you go to the self service restaurant, who is replenishing your water, and serving the food/clearing your plates? You hardly take them out the back to wash them yourself do you?

Edited by louise1809

Let me guess - the amount you tip in cash in no way comes close to the suggested amount. Feel really bad for those who have to serve you and the rest of the despicable cheapskates, most of whom come from non-tipping societies.

I hope you are not implying that non-tipping societies are despicable cheapskates?

Here in the UK, all our service staff, in restaurants, hotels etc, are paid at least a minimum wage, the cost of which is included in the price you see for your food or hotel room. In addition, employers have to make a contribution towards the employees pension, and to the National Insurance that provides them with free healthcare, unemployment benefits when needed, and so on, which again is passed on to us in the overall cost of meals etc.

We may 'tip' small amounts to lower paid staff, if we want to say a little thank you. This is not part of their wages.

The American style tipping practices on cruise lines are, in my mind, an ugly and exploitative practice which demeans the staff involved. It is not even as if the ships are registered in the USA! However, we go along with it as it is current practice, just as we do when visiting the US.

However I do take exception to being described as cheapskates, by someone from a culture where it is common practice to penalise the lowest paid members of society by withholding part of their wages as some sort of incentive scheme, a practice I don't think is extended to higher paid individuals who could cope better with the uncertainty. Anyone withhold fees to their doctor, dentist, and then give them what they thought the service was worth?

I hope you are not implying that non-tipping societies are despicable cheapskates?

Here in the UK, all our service staff, in restaurants, hotels etc, are paid at least a minimum wage, the cost of which is included in the price you see for your food or hotel room. In addition, employers have to make a contribution towards the employees pension, and to the National Insurance that provides them with free healthcare, unemployment benefits when needed, and so on, which again is passed on to us in the overall cost of meals etc.

We may 'tip' small amounts to lower paid staff, if we want to say a little thank you. This is not part of their wages.

The American style tipping practices on cruise lines are, in my mind, an ugly and exploitative practice which demeans the staff involved. It is not even as if the ships are registered in the USA! However, we go along with it as it is current practice, just as we do when visiting the US.

However I do take exception to being described as cheapskates, by someone from a culture where it is common practice to penalise the lowest paid members of society by withholding part of their wages as some sort of incentive scheme, a practice I don't think is extended to higher paid individuals who could cope better with the uncertainty. Anyone withhold fees to their doctor, dentist, and then give them what they thought the service was worth?

Actually, that’s how our health insurance works. The doctors bill the insurance company, the insurance company pays a fraction of that amount.

I love the argument that tipping incentivizes better service. You can tell those people haven't left the US, or places that only exist off US tourism.

I've been to a handful of countries for work, to places no one would consider a tourist destination. Service has been the same or better in all of them (mostly better). One major advantage has been every waiter/waitress will help serve your table refilling drinks or taking requests. They also don't try to hurry you out to get the next tip.

The US tipping culture is simply a way for businesses to lower their expenses, nothing more. It most certainly does not lead to better service. But it's the world we live in, and is actually becoming more prevalent. Hell, I was at a tire shop getting an alignment done last week and they had a tip jar on the counter...

Yes, we leave the auto-grats in place. But no, we do not tip extra.

If you don’t pay at least the suggested amount then those who serve you are being shafted and not receiving the pay for which they are working. If you are that cheap, you should find another way of vacationing in a different culture. Simple as that. I hope you inform all of those who serve you on the first day that they will be receiving only a portion of their salary from you and your family because you are too cheap to pay the full amount. To do otherwise would make you not only cheap but deceitful as well.

I would argue that you should never do anything because it is "suggested." The amounts are way out of line with traditional US tipping norms. Cruise lines "suggest" this amount to keep from having to pay what they should and people like you fall for this ploy. I tip the people that serve me well directly, just like I do at land-based establishments with the same standard. And, guess what? The cruise line lets me do it. I do tell the waiter and housekeeper on Day 1 that I will be tipping them in cash directly. I bet I get better service than you do with this method.

So do the folks on land in your local restaurants and hotels and they don't get tipped at as high of percentage as the cruise ships.

I usually gravitate towards a bar or three and by day two of the cruise I already feel like a "regular" with the bartender remembering my name and what I drink. The same can be said with the waitstaff.

Having worked at many bars and restaurants throughout my life I can tell you that no, for the most part in America they DO NOT work as hard as the folks on the cruise ships. Certainly not 7 days a week, 10 hour days with no time off for months at a time.

For my upcoming 10 day cruise our tips come out to $290. It’s a lot but we just consider it as part of the cost to cruise. We also bring cash to tip waiters in the diamond lounge and bartenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So do the folks on land in your local restaurants and hotels and they don't get tipped at as high of percentage as the cruise ships.

When you tip in your local restaurant you're also tipping those behind the scenes.

So...on a cruise your tips are also distributed to people behind the scenes.

That was exactly my point. The poster I quoted stated that the gratuities are to high so stiffing some staff is ok. Servers in your local restaurant tip out those behind the scenes from the tips they collect.

I will be cruising for the first time in September with my husband and two kids. I’m confused how the tipping works. So I prepay the tip before cruising? Or I can opt out and tip at the end or it has to be as we go? Or I pay the suggested amount in the end like a bill?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question, it probable is 😬

I will be cruising for the first time in September with my husband and two kids. I’m confused how the tipping works. So I prepay the tip before cruising? Or I can opt out and tip at the end or it has to be as we go? Or I pay the suggested amount in the end like a bill?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question, it probable is [emoji51]

You can prepay your daily gratuities with your final cruise fare payment.

Or you can let them add the amount daily to your SeaPass account on board.

Your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am from the UK and I find some of the remarks from Americans on this forum judgemental as well as offensive when it comes to tipping etiquette.

In addition to what Merion Mom posted, you can request as soon as you board or at any time during the cruise that they remove the automatic gratuities and tip the service as you see fit in cash. Pre-pay the full amount, be billed daily once onboard, or remove the automatic tips altogether and tip as you wish.

Before the increase to $14 50 the breakdown for Gratuities was as follows

Stateroom attendant $3 75

HOUSE Keeping $1 30

Dinning room

Waiter $3.50

Assistant waiter $2.85

Head Waiter $0.75

Dinning room services $1.35

total $13,50 per person a day

or £10 a day each

additional gratuities on drinks etc 18% added unless sailing out of the UK or Australia where the tip is included in the bar price

We brits are not used to this and of course causes problems for new cruisers

to ask a family with two young children in an inside cabin to pay nearly £300 a week service charges can cause problems

I asked the CEO why not include tips in the cruise price his reply was do you want to pay more?

why would I be paying more? the total would be the same

Actually if it was included it (price) could come down as all the people who cancelled could no longer.

the staff would be happy as they will still get additional tips and a guaranteed wage.

The Americans would be happy as they can still tip more.

Plenty of options but my advise to someone new to cruising is to pre-pay the gratuity or leave the daily charges in place. This avoids having to think too much about who to tip and how much. It's all taken care of and you can enjoy your holiday. Think of it as the gratuities included option.

if you pre pay before you travel but this cannot be changed when on board

But at least it is out of the way.

Alternatively

on board a daily charge of $14+ each is added for all cabin occupants

you can change or cancel this onboard at reception if you want and pay cash to your cabin/waiters

staff do not know if you have cancelled/changed this

last UK cruise informed 50% did this