What to eat and drink (piggy back on what not to eat and drink)....

rentayenta

It was suggested a thread be started to ask what should we eat and drink? What are your favorites?

DH is a foodie, I am not. I am not picky. I like a great steak with a sauce I can't pronounce as much as I like a Del Taco egg and cheese burrito; depends on the mood. ;)

This will be DH's first cruise; my second. My first non booze was on the Disney Wonder.

We are planning on purchasing Cheers. He loves wine, whiskey, and beer. I love fruity drinks.

The steak and eggs at the sea day brunch is good. It comes with béarnaise sauce, which is very good.

Lunch- guys burger or pizza

Apps- spring rolls or the stuffed mushrooms

Main- chateaubriand, short ribs, lobster

Desserts- black forest gateau, amaretto cake

Drinks: Kiss on the lips (mango/peachy flavor), Miami vice, funship special.

Spring rolls! The bread they bring you in the MDR, chocolate melting cake (if it is well done and not chocolate soup!) the breads and pastries they have at the Sea Day brunch and of course Guys Burgers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off the Horizon, and I really enjoyed the breakfast burritos from Blue Iguana! Loaded with eggs, hash browns, ham, tomatoes, onions and hot sauce - yum!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If you prefer a thin Italian style pizza, don't miss out on Pizza Pirate, the 24 hr pizzeria. On the other hand, if you like a thicker American style pizza you may not care for it. I love it, thus I am recommending it.

The Crème Brule in the MDR is wonderful, as is the bitter and blanc.

The Ceasar Salads are usually very good (also available by request at Pizza Pirate).

It's hard to recommend a particular entrée, as the quality can vary greatly. Just order something you like and hope it's good. Most times it will be at the very least average and edible. Occasionally it will be excellent.

Just off the Horizon, and I really enjoyed the breakfast burritos from Blue Iguana! Loaded with eggs, hash browns, ham, tomatoes, onions and hot sauce - yum!

Came in here to say this. Every time I have went, there has almost never been a line. These burritos are so good. I go with a similar combo above. Whatever you do, you must get the hash browns. They make the burrito. Then they have a bunch of salsa and hot sauce choices to put on. I absolutely love eating these while sitting by the water and looking at the port we just arrived at.

Their tacos are just as good. Guy's Burgers are also a favorite of mine, with their awesome fries. Those two spots are my favorite places to eat at.

Best dessert- Grand Marnier Soufflé (MDR.) I’m not a soufflé person but this comes in its own little dish all puffy and hot with the best creamy sauce poured over it!

Second best desert- (MDR) Bitter n Blanc. White and dark chocolate bread pudding. I hate bread pudding but this is really moist and dense. It’s served warm with this amazing creamy sauce over it.

Best dinner entree- It’s a tie between the braised short ribs and the spaghetti carbonara (it has an alfredo sauce with bacon)

Best appetizers- (MDR) Navy bean soup, stuffed mushrooms, pot stickers

Non MDR foods- Guys burgers, pork chops at sea day brunch, scones at tea time, lasagna at Italian restaurant (free for lunch), breakfast burritos at Blue Iguana (no lines at breakfast).

Too broad... where do I even start? ;)I will pick one from each category.

Lido Food: On the Dream-class ships, and maybe a few others, Tandoor is VERY underrated and very high quality food for its genre. Every time I go on a Dream-class the line there gets longer and longer each day as more people decide to try it, and come back for more:cool:. Don't be afraid of the spicy vegetarian dishes like aloo gobi or mater paneer, they are good stuff!

Bars: Alchemy Bar. No real secret here, but especially if using Cheers, the value there is so high and the drinks have actual taste, and a bit more of a kick than the other drinks on board. Plus, the mixologist there can really work some custom service.

Tea Time: The sea day tea which is often held in the aft dining room. I think most people read the Fun Times and think "Not my cup of tea" ;p But the snacks and desserts that go with it are amazing, and plentiful. Definitely worth doing.

Sea Day Brunch: Grilled salmon is a perfect breakfast!

MDR: Ok, a lot of people will differ with me on this one, but the escargot is one of the best appetizers on the ship. I even like it better than the escargot in the steakhouse!

Steakhouse: All the food is good, but for their bar, the old fashioned is made nearly perfectly.

It was suggested a thread be started to ask what should we eat and drink? What are your favorites?

DH is a foodie, I am not. I am not picky. I like a great steak with a sauce I can't pronounce as much as I like a Del Taco egg and cheese burrito; depends on the mood. ;)

This will be DH's first cruise; my second. My first non booze was on the Disney Wonder.

We are planning on purchasing Cheers. He loves wine, whiskey, and beer. I love fruity drinks.

On several recent cruises, we got these skewers of spicy beef on a stick for an app., YUMMY!:D

The 2nd time I saw them, I ordered 4 with a baked potato to make my main course!

The buffet each day has a carved meat, a pork dish, a seafood dish, a beef dish, salads, pastas, rice dishes! Add that to lunch offerings Guy's burgers, Blue Iguana tacos and burritos, the sandwich station, pizza, BBQ, room service, and on and on and on, you're not picky, but an '@&&' if you can't find something!;p

Best dessert- Grand Marnier Soufflé (MDR.) I’m not a soufflé person but this comes in its own little dish all puffy and hot with the best creamy sauce poured over it!

Second best desert- (MDR) Bitter n Blanc. White and dark chocolate bread pudding. I hate bread pudding but this is really moist and dense. It’s served warm with this amazing creamy sauce over it.

Best dinner entree- It’s a tie between the braised short ribs and the spaghetti carbonara (it has an alfredo sauce with bacon)

Non MDR foods- Guys burgers, pork chops at sea day brunch, scones at tea time, lasagna at Italian restaurant (free for lunch), breakfast burritos at Blue Iguana (no lines at breakfast).

The spaghetti carbonara is pretty good, but not an Alfredo sauce. Traditional carbonara is whisked egg and grated parmesan, mixed with the fat rendered from pig jowls (I forget the Italian name - similar to pancetta & bacon, but different). It is cooked with the heat from the pasta so the egg doesn't scramble. Yummy and "creamy" but not as heavy as Alfredo.

Drink:

I love the buffet hot chocolate. It's rich and comes as a half cup with one push, so just the right amount for a treat. MDR isn't quite as good to me and tastes more like Swiss Miss packets.

I'd recommend trying anything that interests you. Carnival does a good job with most of their frozen drinks. I was actually only 50/50 on what I liked in the Alchemy sampler (and the service wasn't good so we didn't go back) so be prepared that not everything will be a win.

Breakfast:

Huevos rancheros - Blue Iguana or MDR Brunch

Chocolate muffins from the buffet

Buffet Potatoes - all of the fried potato variations were good

MTO eggs from the omelet station

Arepa from Blue Iguana (worth trying, will probably either love or hate)

Hash Browns from Blue Iguana

Prunes from buffet were surprisingly good (and smart to have with all the other rich food;))

Lunch:

Anything from Blue Iguana, but especially the shrimp, pico de gallo, and sautéed onions

Guys fries

Dinner:

Experiment, try something you probably can't get at home.

Haven't tried it yet, but will on my next cruise: WCMC with peanut butter:p

Strawberry Bisque. All the cold soups are really good and so are all of the rare finds!

I love soup, thanks!

The steak and eggs at the sea day brunch is good. It comes with béarnaise sauce, which is very good.

Lunch- guys burger or pizza

Apps- spring rolls or the stuffed mushrooms

Main- chateaubriand, short ribs, lobster

Desserts- black forest gateau, amaretto cake

Drinks: Kiss on the lips (mango/peachy flavor), Miami vice, funship special.

Mango is one of my favorites; I will have to try that drink.

Great list, thanks!

Spring rolls, all of the chilled fruit soups (strawberry, peach, mango), bacon mac and cheese, navy bean soup, linguini, and the chocolate melting cake just to name a few! :)

It all sounds really good. Chilled fruit soups seem to be a favorite.

Spring rolls! The bread they bring you in the MDR, chocolate melting cake (if it is well done and not chocolate soup!) the breads and pastries they have at the Sea Day brunch and of course Guys Burgers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is Guy's face plastered all over the burger place? My fella has a strange aversion to Guy Fieri. Haha! I might have to make his burger if so. ;) We do enjoy a good burger. Can you get them medium rare?

Don't know if they serve the Mahi-mahi or fish tacos off of the port of call menus any where other than the Mexican riviera. But those are two not to miss items.

We are maybe doing the Mexican Riveria next Fall with Disney if my hubby enjoys his first cruise on the Conquest. Mahi is one of the best.

Spring rolls, all of the chilled fruit soups (strawberry, peach, mango), bacon mac and cheese, navy bean soup, linguini, and the chocolate melting cake just to name a few! :)

DH loves chocolate; he'll enjoy that cake.

That sounds good! We both enjoy breakfast burritos.

If you prefer a thin Italian style pizza, don't miss out on Pizza Pirate, the 24 hr pizzeria. On the other hand, if you like a thicker American style pizza you may not care for it. I love it, thus I am recommending it.

The Crème Brule in the MDR is wonderful, as is the bitter and blanc.

The Ceasar Salads are usually very good (also available by request at Pizza Pirate).

It's hard to recommend a particular entrée, as the quality can vary greatly. Just order something you like and hope it's good. Most times it will be at the very least average and edible. Occasionally it will be excellent.

Thin crust pizza is the only pizza we eat. I am so happy the pizza is good. Did I read it correctly that pizza is open 24/7?!

My two favorites were the breakfast burritos from Blue Iguana and the bacon mac and cheese in the MDR.

We both enjoy Mac n cheese but wait for it....neither of us love bacon. I know, I know....Can we get it without bacon? Will we be kicked off the ship for asking? :')

Came in here to say this. Every time I have went, there has almost never been a line. These burritos are so good. I go with a similar combo above. Whatever you do, you must get the hash browns. They make the burrito. Then they have a bunch of salsa and hot sauce choices to put on. I absolutely love eating these while sitting by the water and looking at the port we just arrived at.

Their tacos are just as good. Guy's Burgers are also a favorite of mine, with their awesome fries. Those two spots are my favorite places to eat at.

I can see us frequently both those; especially me. Thanks!

Strawberry soup, peach soup, pumpkin soup, tortilla soup

Filet Mignon and Short Rib Duo

Grand Mariner Soufflé, S’mores Parfait, Chocolate Melting Cake

Are the filet and short ribs served n the main dining room?

S'mores parfait, sign me up!

My absolute favorite thing I ate last cruise was the Banana Cream Pie for dessert at Sea Day Brunch.

I'm also a huge fan of Mongolian Wok but that's dependant on what you put in it since you build it yourself.

We are going with friends who enjoy the Sea Day brunch as well.

Thanks! I love bread pudding; can't wait to try the Bitter and Blanc!

I think we have similar tastes; all of your appetizer choices sound like something I would choose.

Carbona with Alfredo sauce? Yuck.

Too broad... where do I even start? ;)I will pick one from each category.

Lido Food: On the Dream-class ships, and maybe a few others, Tandoor is VERY underrated and very high quality food for its genre. Every time I go on a Dream-class the line there gets longer and longer each day as more people decide to try it, and come back for more:cool:. Don't be afraid of the spicy vegetarian dishes like aloo gobi or mater paneer, they are good stuff!

Bars: Alchemy Bar. No real secret here, but especially if using Cheers, the value there is so high and the drinks have actual taste, and a bit more of a kick than the other drinks on board. Plus, the mixologist there can really work some custom service.

Tea Time: The sea day tea which is often held in the aft dining room. I think most people read the Fun Times and think "Not my cup of tea" ;p But the snacks and desserts that go with it are amazing, and plentiful. Definitely worth doing.

Sea Day Brunch: Grilled salmon is a perfect breakfast!

MDR: Ok, a lot of people will differ with me on this one, but the escargot is one of the best appetizers on the ship. I even like it better than the escargot in the steakhouse!

Steakhouse: All the food is good, but for their bar, the old fashioned is made nearly perfectly.

We will be on the Conquest; I don't know what class that ship is considered.

DH is a huge Old Fashioned fan; the Steakhouse will be a must.

We plan on spending a lot of time at the Alchemy Bar. I love a good mixologist.

Do you know if they have lox on the Sea Day brunch?

On several recent cruises, we got these skewers of spicy beef on a stick for an app., YUMMY!:D

The 2nd time I saw them, I ordered 4 with a baked potato to make my main course!

The buffet each day has a carved meat, a pork dish, a seafood dish, a beef dish, salads, pastas, rice dishes! Add that to lunch offerings Guy's burgers, Blue Iguana tacos and burritos, the sandwich station, pizza, BBQ, room service, and on and on and on, you're not picky, but an '@&&' if you can't find something!;p

Is the beef like satay? The buffet sounds like it has a nice variety.

Hahaha! I am not worried about going hungry; I could live on tacos and burritos. More curious what everyone's favorites are. Plus with Cheers, I am going to drink the majority of my calories. ;) :cool:

The spaghetti carbonara is pretty good, but not an Alfredo sauce. Traditional carbonara is whisked egg and grated parmesan, mixed with the fat rendered from pig jowls (I forget the Italian name - similar to pancetta & bacon, but different). It is cooked with the heat from the pasta so the egg doesn't scramble. Yummy and "creamy" but not as heavy as Alfredo.

Drink:

I love the buffet hot chocolate. It's rich and comes as a half cup with one push, so just the right amount for a treat. MDR isn't quite as good to me and tastes more like Swiss Miss packets.

I'd recommend trying anything that interests you. Carnival does a good job with most of their frozen drinks. I was actually only 50/50 on what I liked in the Alchemy sampler (and the service wasn't good so we didn't go back) so be prepared that not everything will be a win.

Breakfast:

Huevos rancheros - Blue Iguana or MDR Brunch

Chocolate muffins from the buffet

Buffet Potatoes - all of the fried potato variations were good

MTO eggs from the omelet station

Arepa from Blue Iguana (worth trying, will probably either love or hate)

Hash Browns from Blue Iguana

Prunes from buffet were surprisingly good (and smart to have with all the other rich food;))

Lunch:

Anything from Blue Iguana, but especially the shrimp, pico de gallo, and sautéed onions

Guys fries

Dinner:

Experiment, try something you probably can't get at home.

Haven't tried it yet, but will on my next cruise: WCMC with peanut butter:p

Thanks! My husband makes an incredible carbonara; egg, heaving whipping cream in one version, lots of pepper, amazing!

Re: buffet hot chocolate: could I take it to the bar to have a shot added? Asking for a friend...

WCMC?