Cruise Critic Community
BEENSAILING

US passport - EU cruise

When we were on the Jewel last year - all EU ports (because Turkey was cancelled.) I remember paying taxes for on board shopping of gift shop merchandise. (Don't need another magnet...) I think the liquor store was not open on the cruise. I think I remember if we had bought a specialty dining restaurant on board there was extra tax charged. Is this still all the same? Have a cruise coming up an all EU Med. cruise. Thx...

Yes, VAT tax is still charged on certain European cruises.

When we were on the Jewel last year - all EU ports (because Turkey was cancelled.) I remember paying taxes for on board shopping of gift shop merchandise. (Don't need another magnet...) I think the liquor store was not open on the cruise. I think I remember if we had bought a specialty dining restaurant on board there was extra tax charged. Is this still all the same? Have a cruise coming up an all EU Med. cruise. Thx...

If any cruise ship starts from an EU port and DOES not visit any Non EU port you will be liable for VAT additions to purchases on board.

The duty free shops on board and ashore will be closed.

To avoid this the ship has to visit at least one non EU PORT like Gibralter ,Turkey, Montenegro etc

ships leaving Spain are charged a port tax of 10% which remains if again the ship stays in EU Waters.

Non EU residents can reclaim the Vat, at the airport , on large purchases by asking the retailer for the reclaim form.

Example a £480 ring includes £80 VAT that you can reclaim at the airport..

Vat is like USA sales tax but has to be included in the shown price.

hope it helps j