Carnival Legend 4K French Doors no longer open - Sealed shut!

There originally had to have been some point to the french doors, my guess is they changed something in the plans along they way - otherwise why were the doors ever there to begin with?

We have three booked on our cruise in January on the Pride, was really looking to be able to open them when in port and just letting in a little fresh air. But I guess at least the fact that the room is a little bigger is helpful anyway.

There originally had to have been some point to the french doors, my guess is they changed something in the plans along they way - otherwise why were the doors ever there to begin with?

We have three booked on our cruise in January on the Pride, was really looking to be able to open them when in port and just letting in a little fresh air. But I guess at least the fact that the room is a little bigger is helpful anyway.

Even when these doors did open, doing what you planned would affect the AC for an entire bank of cabins and result in their getting too warm at your expense.

• 4 weeks later...
Comparing apples and oranges. Balcony cabins have reasons for the doors - you can go out on the balcony. There is no reason for the doors on the "French Door" cabins since there is no place to go out to. I am sure that it was done because of safety issues. Most of the hotels I have stayed at over the years have put stops on all windows above the 1st floor so that the windows only open a inch or two. They have not done the same thing on those rooms that have balconies at those levels. See, apples and oranges.

As one that was looking forward to my cabin with these door, I would suggest the cabins appeal was the ability to have natural light AND bringing able to get fresh air, sea air, in the room.

I’ve sailed on a Carnival ship with a deck 2 balcony, so nearness to the ocean cannot be an issue.

I’m 3 weeks out from our cruise, and this is disappointing.

Just to let everyone know, all of the 4K cabin French doors on the Legend have been sealed closed. I confirmed this with Carnival today. You can also check out the Carnival website, that's how I stumbled on the change. The cabin description that had read "Interior with French Doors" now reads "Interior with Window". I am currently booked on the Legend for the Journeys cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. I am in one of these 4K rooms specifically for the ability to open the French doors (we did Alaska in a 4K room and loved it). I am very upset for a couple of reasons. Carnival is not bothering to notify anyone that they have downgraded these rooms. Also, as far as I am concerned, Carnival owes anyone that booked one of these rooms some onboard credit of at least the amount that was paid to upgrade to French doors. They don't see it that way. They don't feel the need to notify anyone of the change. I spent over a couple of hours on the phone with them today and all that they offered (after a lot of pressing) was a $25 onboard credit or we could cancel our cruise. That does not come close to covering the amount that was paid to upgrade to a 4K. Anyone that booked a 4K on the Legend while it was being advertised as having the French doors need to call Carnival customer service and complain. At the very least, you might get a bit of credit. Hopefully if they get enough calls they will realize that they did not handle this properly. Sad these are sealed, but hey, it's their ship. However, this is not fair for those that booked before the change. I would have been really pissed if I did not find out about the sealed doors until I got in the cabin and I'm sure no one else will appreciate the surprise either.:mad:

I’ll be on the same cruise in a 4K room. I am not happy. If I knew they were doing this I’d have booked a balcony.

I just got a possible update from Carnival (through Facebook). They are saying that the doors have been completely removed and replaced with windows. This is a direct contradiction from what I was told on the phone earlier by Carnival customer service, so take it with a grain of salt.

If they did this it was part of the renovations.

If they did this it was part of the renovations.

It is being done as each Spirit class ship goes into dry dock. Luckily, a few weeks ago someone cancelled a 4K room between the life boats and I was able to change so we don't have a view of the broad side of a life boat. Still not what I booked, but at least it is better than what we would have been stuck with after the change. My biggest issue with the situation has always been how Carnival handled the situation by not informing cruisers that had booked before the change. Very similar to what happened a couple of days ago with the Cheers package, but did not get much attention since the 4K cabins are such a small percentage of the cabins within the fleet. I don't understand why they just don't give the information proactively instead of trying to sneak the changes and hope nobody notices. Have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

We just booked the Legend on the same Vancouver to Hawaii to LA cruise, in the same type of 4th deck cabin!

The price was about $150. 'LESS' then a OV on the first deck! We're happy with the 4th deck!

Think about Hawaii to take your mind off the doors!-))

I told my wife this was the only way I'd go to Hawaii, not flying that far!

Now gotta see what flights to Vancouver cost!-))

• 10 months later...

This decision by Carnival is a shame.you should pay the same as an obstructed ocean view room now that the doors don’t open! 

The doors opening will not effect the a/c as the unit shuts down as soon as the door is opened. Think about it! Retrofitting the doors with fixed windows is a lot cheaper than putting in new expensive doors! And virtually no maintenance!  Take it from one who has been in the window business for 30 years.

I will be rethinking my decision to book a 4K room on the Legend this January. I’m going back onto their website to find out if or how much more this room is than an ocean view.

Edited by Tripreviews harry
Spelling

I've heard that this was coming for sometime now.    While it's unfortunate that you can no longer open the doors, I still think the room is a hidden gem for the fact that you are charged fro an interior room (which are much smaller), but get the benefits of a larger balcony size room.  It's nice to have the couch to sit on if you are relaxing in your room or order room service.  It's also nice to have a wee bit of sunlight that you can let into the room is you want to.

I'm disappointed, too.  I had a 4k booked on Pride once but when they dropped the solo supplement, I moved to an aft balcony for a few dollars more.

I booked a great 4K cabin for the final Med+TA on Legend for October 2020 with a view straight through between the lifeboats.  And just found out the doors won't open/will be replaced.  I actually prefer an inside cabin to an OV since I wake as soon as there's even a hint of daylight.

Oh well!  Changes are a fact of life.  I'll get over it and enjoy my big window.  There's plenty of "free" deck space and fresh air on the ship and I'll probably camp myself on the big Serenity deck that the Spirit-class ships have.

• Like 1

Just now, StolidCruiser said:

Oh Beefy One, you still impress me to no end.  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Thanks, Stolid.  And you still keep calling me by icky variations of my admittedly already-tending-towards-icky screen name.🤢 :classic_blush:

44 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

So you now have a partial ocean view room? What's the price comparison to your 4J for a partial ocean view? That's the true comparison now, right?

I wonder which ships have the option of either 4J or 4K? Had 4J at the front of the ship on the Dream and loved it, just a few steps to our big, almost private, balcony. Watched sunsets with champagne, sunrise as we pulled into port. Looked for the same style room for our cruise next year and it seems not all ships have the 4J, or at least, at the front. Ended up booking a 4K (Alaska) on the Spirit deck 4 for less than we paid for 4J (Caribbean) and it was priced within $10 of an interior on deck 7 but the extra space allows for a couch. So even if the doors don’t open, it will be worth it for the extra bit of space. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Thanks, Stolid.  And you still keep calling me by icky variations of my admittedly already-tending-towards-icky screen name.🤢 :classic_blush:

Sorry.  It's meant to be endearing but I can see it borders on creepy.  I'll try to put a better spin on it. 😉

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2018 at 5:24 PM, Krazyhardrocker said:

What an ignorant statement! I booked what THEY advertised. That's not a loophole, that's selecting what you want. Bye, I'm done with the attitude.

I agree with you completely, but anyone that ends a statement with "easy peasy" I discount 100% of what they say anyway.

10 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

Sorry.  It's meant to be endearing but I can see it borders on creepy.  I'll try to put a better spin on it. 😉

It's OK, I took it in the spirit you intended.  I was just joking with you.  A decade ago, while starving to be thin and jonesing for my favourite Vietnamese dish, I unwittingly chose an unfortunate screen name that leads to some cringe-inducing nicknames.  I brought it on myself.:classic_blush::classic_laugh:

I had a 4J on Victory and it was dreadful because we were next to the door to the not-at-all-secret deck, which people went through at all hours and which slammed so hard every time (sheesh folks, how difficult is it to hold the door so the wind-tunnel doesn't slam it shut?) that the bed, which was against the hull, would shake.  That was back when Victory was sailing out of San Juan and the itinerary was a port every day, so we had to be up early every day for excursions.  It would've been exhausting enough without the non-stop door slamming waking us multiple times every night!  And it's a long walk back to the buffet, which is OK because I've heard rumors that walking is actually good for you!

Plus, you get light in a 4J but there is no view.  At least with the 4K I booked, I have a view straight out between the lifeboats.  It's why I chose the cabin I did.  I searched for pics/videos and was lucky enough to book mine for both legs of the B2B.

I'm still going to enjoy my 4K for 25 nights!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 6:53 AM, Tripreviews harry said:

This decision by Carnival is a shame.you should pay the same as an obstructed ocean view room now that the doors don’t open! 

The doors opening will not effect the a/c as the unit shuts down as soon as the door is opened. Think about it! Retrofitting the doors with fixed windows is a lot cheaper than putting in new expensive doors! And virtually no maintenance!  Take it from one who has been in the window business for 30 years.

I will be rethinking my decision to book a 4K room on the Legend this January. I’m going back onto their website to find out if or how much more this room is than an ocean view.

Guess I'm in the minority here, we're glad they replaced those doors with large windows!

The open doors rob AC for every cabin around you, not right!

Also these cabins sell for less then regular ocean view windows!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AmBear said:

Guess I'm in the minority here, we're glad they replaced those doors with large windows!

The open doors rob AC for every cabin around you, not right!

Also these cabins sell for less then regular ocean view windows!

I was wondering if I was the only one that felt this way.