Gen X on Gate One Monarch Princess

IluvZ

IIuvZ,

Thanks again for posting such detailed information. I have some questions and if you already posted the answers, just direct me to the number of the post(s) where I can find it.

How were tips handled? What currency did you use? Euros or US dollars? Who did you tip? Can you give me a ballpark of how much? How much was an average glass of wine and a cocktail such as a martini at the bar?

The reason I'm asking these questions is for budgeting purposes. I'm so spoiled by Uniworld where most everything is included. On my first Uniworld cruise the only charge on my onboard account was for some postcard stamps.

Roz

IIuvZ,

Thanks again for posting such detailed information. I have some questions and if you already posted the answers, just direct me to the number of the post(s) where I can find it.

How were tips handled? What currency did you use? Euros or US dollars? Who did you tip? Can you give me a ballpark of how much? How much was an average glass of wine and a cocktail such as a martini at the bar?

The reason I'm asking these questions is for budgeting purposes. I'm so spoiled by Uniworld where most everything is included. On my first Uniworld cruise the only charge on my onboard account was for some postcard stamps.

Roz

Hi Roz,

I don't think I covered tipping. We were asked to tip either in local currency with envelopes or on account to the crew. There was a big box in the lobby to place the tips for everyone except the activity director and cruise director. The staff recommendation was the equivalent of $12 us per person per day. $4 per person per day for Cruise Director and $2 per person per day for the activity director - those had to be cash and paid in-person to the individual.

Cocktails were in the $8 range except for the drink of the day that was usually $5 dollars. Beer was $5. Sorry I only drank the wine at dinner so I didn't check those prices. There was no added gratuity to the drinks as they were covered in the staff tipping amounts.

Hi Roz,

I don't think I covered tipping. We were asked to tip either in local currency with envelopes or on account to the crew. There was a big box in the lobby to place the tips for everyone except the activity director and cruise director. The staff recommendation was the equivalent of $12 us per person per day. $4 per person per day for Cruise Director and $2 per person per day for the activity director - those had to be cash and paid in-person to the individual.

Cocktails were in the $8 range except for the drink of the day that was usually $5 dollars. Beer was $5. Sorry I only drank the wine at dinner so I didn't check those prices. There was no added gratuity to the drinks as they were covered in the staff tipping amounts.

Thank you for the tipping information. For the cash tips, how do you determine "local" currency if you go thru more than one country?

Roz

Hi Roz,

They didn’t actually provide much direct in that. We were predominantly in the Euro zones so that is what I used and looked up the current exchange rate. I am guess the staf would be happy with any of the local currencies.

Thank you so much for this fantastic review! We met Gate1 cruisers at the castle in Durnstein when we were there and all were positive and in agreement with your review.

We just finished one of their land tours and will now consider the river cruises as the price point is so much better.

We were on Viking. There was no included tour in Durnstein. There was an optional town walking tour. I don't recall any wine tours there. We just went to the castle and walked around...one of our favorite days on our cruise.

And like the other poster....we don't miss an included tour or meal, lol.

• 3 months later...
Great review. We're going on the Princess next April. I have a question... In Budapest and Bratislava what currency did you use? Do they accept $ and Euros or do you need their own currencies?

We used Froint in Budapest because were were there a few days pre cruise. Some placed did accept euro too. The euro was in all other locations. We didn’t try to use US $ and I don’t think they would take them.

Thanks. We have 3 days in Budapest at the end of the cruise so I will have to get some Forints. Maybe get some from the ATM.

Was the weather ok in May? We're going to be a month earlier and I m not sure what to take.

Definitely got forint, you will save money over using euros. We had unseasonably hot weather with most days in the 80’s. I would have preferred the normal 60’s.

• 1 month later...

Lluvz, great info!!! The only thing is that I can't access your wonderful photos. I saw them yesterday but they aren't showing up today. I think it's the site because I've tried on different devices. Is there some other way I can get to them, especially the daily schedules? I've been looking for info like this for ages!!!! Thanks again!

Love your post and we appreciate the time and details provided.... we're on the Monarch Princess 

on Oct 25, 2018 and really looking forward to the trip!!!

It looks like all your photos disappeared.... what happened?

Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

I am so happy to have found your review. Your details, pictures and sharing your personal style of travel are most helpful for my research of Gate 1 travel. I want to thank you for sharing so generously.

Cool Cruiser,

My husband , Mom, Sister and I will be on the April 6th Gate ! cruise from Passau.  We are doing the pre cruise 3 days in Munich.  Have found all the reviews helpful and interesting.  We did a 27 day cruise w/Vantage in 2016 which we really enjoyed  but have heard many positives about Gate 1.  

That was my primary reason  for the Munich extension.  Having seen the castle  on a tour 28 yrs ago I wanted my husband to see it too.  I’m watching weather and water levels as I’m sure you are as well.  Regarding your question posted about Hungarian currency.  When in Budapest last yr  it was easy to get their currency which was needed for metros and trains.   We also used American dollars easily at the market and Visa for dinners out. If you have not been to Budapest before you are going to love it! This will be our first time to Bratislava but friends of ours really liked it, as well.

• 2 months later...

We had Gary as tour director and Armin as activities director on this same cruise two summers ago.  They were great.  Gary, in particular, came up with wonderful free time suggestions once he understood your preferences.  I highly recommend this Gate 1 river cruise.  If you book a river cruise with them before May 31, you can get a 25% discount by using code SAVESXM19.  

• 1 month later...

Loved your detailed review!  We are retired and have done over 40 ocean cruises (most with NCL & Princess) and except for Yangtze River cruises as part of China tours two different years, this will just be our 2nd river cruise.  Our first was an AMA Christmas Markets cruise in December '18, and we really enjoyed it.  We are doing the same cruise you did (starting on July 21 '19), also on the Monarch Princess, as part of a 17 day Gate1 tour that starts in Warsaw.  BTW, we have done several multi-day Gate1 land tours and they always do a great job.  I noticed that someone referred to them as a discount travel provider, but they are actually very highly rated tour providers, and we felt sure that a Gate! river cruise experience would be good as well.  I enjoyed all the different details of your review and your replies to questions, and I will suggest to my husband that he sit still long enough to read it all as well.  😉  Sitting still long enough is usually the issue for either of us. 

Thanks!

Becky & Jerry

11 hours ago, dancentx said:

Loved your detailed review!  We are retired and have done over 40 ocean cruises (most with NCL & Princess) and except for Yangtze River cruises as part of China tours two different years, this will just be our 2nd river cruise.  Our first was an AMA Christmas Markets cruise in December '18, and we really enjoyed it.  We are doing the same cruise you did (starting on July 21 '19), also on the Monarch Princess, as part of a 17 day Gate1 tour that starts in Warsaw.  BTW, we have done several multi-day Gate1 land tours and they always do a great job.  I noticed that someone referred to them as a discount travel provider, but they are actually very highly rated tour providers, and we felt sure that a Gate! river cruise experience would be good as well.  I enjoyed all the different details of your review and your replies to questions, and I will suggest to my husband that he sit still long enough to read it all as well.  😉  Sitting still long enough is usually the issue for either of us. 

Thanks!

Becky & Jerry

Hey there!  I think we'll be on the same cruise!  We're flying into Budapest (leaving the 20th) to sail on the 21st of July.  After the cruise, we have 3 days in Prague.  Looking forward to meeting you!

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, 2morrow said:

If you are still out there would you recommend taking the ship's tour of Vienna( is it walking or on a bus) versus heading into town and touring on our ow.

We ditched the ship's tour and DIY in Vienna - saw much more on our own. The ship tour will take you into Vienna via bus (your docking location is about 30 minutes via bus from the historical city center) and from there it is primarily a walking tour (no inside visits). We opted to get up early & take the tram into the city - no time wasted & had a wonderful day.

Edited by dogs4fun