Jeans in the dining room and other last minute attire questions

ekatiel

I think they’re pretty divisive on the other lines too. I know that RCI updated their dress code in 2017 to specifically state “shorts are not allowed in the main dining room for dinner”. That one always gets some people going. At least on HAL, it doesn’t seem as though anyone is considering shorts at dinner. Jeans I can live with. 🤣🤣

Last week during Gala Night on Veendam, a couple attempted to come into Fixed Seating...he was wearing shorts. They were sent to the Lido. At least two men were wearing blue jeans. And not what are considered dress jeans. The type my husband wears when he works outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they’re pretty divisive on the other lines too. I know that RCI updated their dress code in 2017 to specifically state “shorts are not allowed in the main dining room for dinner”. That one always gets some people going. At least on HAL, it doesn’t seem as though anyone is considering shorts at dinner. Jeans I can live with. 🤣🤣

True, the other lines do have discussions of dress codes but Holland seems, JMO, to have taken the lead. Once upon a time, I would have said Celebrity, but now I think Holland is more opinionated.

True, the other lines do have discussions of dress codes but Holland seems, JMO, to have taken the lead. Once upon a time, I would have said Celebrity, but now I think Holland is more opinionated.

Could be you’re right. I think it’s because they’re are more traditionalists that cruise on Holland America who appreciate what used to be the finer points of cruising and are trying to keep some of those traditions alive. [emoji6]

Could be you’re right. I think it’s because they’re are more traditionalists that cruise on Holland America who appreciate what used to be the finer points of cruising and are trying to keep some of those traditions alive. [emoji6]

*there are

Notwithstanding all the comments, we have seen jeans in the MDR on non formal nights often on Princess, RCI, and Celebrity. Been a while since we have been on NCL and Carnival but I assume it is the same. Whether some cruisers approve or not this is the reality. Perhaps not on these forums, but certainly in the real world, on cruise ships. Might be different on world cruises though.

Two points:

I would say: "What they consider to be the finer points."

Things change. I remember when I would wear a suit to fly.

I really have no problems with people who want to maintain traditions as long as it is a personal effort and doesn't extend to insisting that others comply with their wishes.

Notwithstanding all the comments, we have seen jeans in the MDR on non formal nights often on Princess, RCI, and Celebrity. Been a while since we have been on NCL and Carnival but I assume it is the same. Whether some cruisers approve or not this is the reality. Perhaps not on these forums, but certainly in the real world, on cruise ships. Might be different on world cruises though.

I graduated from High School 49 years ago. At that time no one was allowed to wear jeans in school. Not boys, not girls. That was the rule. One day I wore a pair of what were called at the time "brushed denim". They were a little lighter in color. One teacher would not allow me into the classroom and send me to the office. The principal looked at my jeans, said they were fine and gave me a note of approval to take back to my teacher. Point is, times change, opinions change. I'm sure there are many things allowed on cruise ships today that would have been taboo 49 years ago.

Our high school uniform was grey slacks (medium, not charcoal), navy blazer, and a white (not blue) shirt. You got sent home if you were out of uniform. It changed part way through my time to casual. Times change. We adjust to change.

I suspect that one issue some people have is that many more people now have the ability to cruise. It is not so exclusive as it once was. HAL, etcare mass market lines. The fact that they are mass market implies much. There are some who no doubt still believe that HAL is a premium line. Think again.

Premium lines don't have 15 or so ships and don't blow out last minute 7 day Alaska cruises at $399 or sometimes less. I realize that there is a big difference between those per diems and a world cruise or Pdam. But this is the market that HAL has chosen to play in. There is no longer any social cachet in taking a HAL cruise. It just one of many. You can expect a wide variety of cruisers from a wide variety of backgrounds and countries with different customs.

Edited by iancal

Our high school uniform was grey slacks (medium, not charcoal), blaze, and a white (not blue) shirt. You got sent home if you were out of uniform. It changed part way through my time to casual. Times change. We adjust to change.

I suspect that one issue some people have is that many more people now have the ability to cruise. It is not so exclusive as it once was. HAL, etcare mass market lines. The fact that they are mass market implies much. There are some who no doubt still believe that HAL is a premium line. Think again.

Premium lines don't have 15 or so ships and don't blow out last minute 7 day Alaska cruises at $399 or sometimes less. I realize that there is a big difference between those per diems and a world cruise or Pdam. But this is the market that HAL has chosen to play in. There is no longer any social cachet in taking a HAL cruise. It just one of many. You can expect a wide variety of cruisers from a wide variety of backgrounds and countries with different customs.

Well put. The days of a cruise on the Queen Mary to England and formal attire are pretty much history

Having read a huge num ber of dfress code threads, here on CC for so many years, i can honestly say there really are hardly any clothes police a round here these days. if you think there are many, good you weren't here 8 or more years go. :D

Seems to be very few of those type posts.

Our high school uniform was grey slacks (medium, not charcoal), navy blazer, and a white (not blue) shirt. You got sent home if you were out of uniform. It changed part way through my time to casual. Times change. We adjust to change.

Now you need to stop with facts and reality checks. Statements like your's are going to put a stop to this thread. Or at least have it fail to get to 25 pages.

Having read a huge num ber of dfress code threads, here on CC for so many years, i can honestly say there really are hardly any clothes police a round here these days. if you think there are many, good you weren't here 8 or more years go. :D

Seems to be very few of those type posts.

I agree. Compared to years back, it isn't as bad.

Two points:

I would say: "What they consider to be the finer points."

Things change. I remember when I would wear a suit to fly.

I really have no problems with people who want to maintain traditions as long as it is a personal effort and doesn't extend to insisting that others comply with their wishes.

Why am I not surprised that you felt the need to caveat my comments. [emoji12][emoji12] There really was no need to do that since it was just my opinion, and yes, I do consider dressing up for dinner as one of the finer points of cruising. LOL.

The traditionalists actually are changing with the times. I remember when we wore gowns for dinner every night and we saved the fancier more formal gowns for formal evenings. Now, anything goes on most nights, and just “nicer” attire reserved for gala nights, but not necessarily tuxes and gowns. But even that is starting to fade away, so I don’t think it’s fair to criticize traditionalists for wanting to keep a small part of what started them on cruising in the first place. Please, I’m not trying to be argumentative, just expressing my opinion like everyone else.

Why am I not surprised that you felt the need to caveat my comments. [emoji12][emoji12] There really was no need to do that since it was just my opinion, and yes, I do consider dressing up for dinner as one of the finer points of cruising. LOL.

The traditionalists actually are changing with the times. I remember when we wore gowns for dinner every night and we saved the fancier more formal gowns for formal evenings. Now, anything goes on most nights, and just “nicer” attire reserved for gala nights, but not necessarily tuxes and gowns. But even that is starting to fade away, so I don’t think it’s fair to criticize traditionalists for wanting to keep a small part of what started them on cruising in the first place. Please, I’m not trying to be argumentative, just expressing my opinion like everyone else.

I'm glad you enjoy dressing up for dinner. My issue is with those that think that it is essential for everyone to dress up to enhance their experience.

How would anyone know what pants someone is wearing in the MDR short of actually crawling around under tables? Why would they care?

IHow would anyone know what pants someone is wearing in the MDR short of actually crawling around under tables? Why would they care?

You have no idea how funny that statement is given the meaning of "pants" in England is "underwear".

You have no idea how funny that statement is given the meaning of "pants" in England is "underwear".

And, you have no idea how hard I try to bring a bit of levity to threads like this. Sometimes it works.

BTW, "would north of normal" refer to Normal, Al?

Now that is definitely stretching the interpretation of “casual dress”! LOL. Although on one recent cruise, there was a man who wandered all over the ship in his bathrobe and slippers. We thought that was a little odd. [emoji12]

Now that is definitely stretching the interpretation of “casual dress”! LOL. Although on one recent cruise, there was a man who wandered all over the ship in his bathrobe and slippers. We thought that was a little odd. [emoji12]

A little?

Perhaps his luggage had been mislaid and he had sent what he had to be laundered.

And, you have no idea how hard I try to bring a bit of levity to threads like this. Sometimes it works.

BTW, "would north of normal" refer to Normal, Al?

No sorry. I was fooling around with my profile one day and keep forgetting I put it there. lol

Have you cruised NCL or Carnival recently? Holland America is definitely a premium line by comparison!

I've actually started to see this on a number of ships across the various lines, usually on the lido deck and in the buffets. I think when bathrobes are provided, some think that it's a suitable cover up for their swimming attire.

I've actually started to see this on a number of ships across the various lines, usually on the lido deck and in the buffets. I think when bathrobes are provided, some think that it's a suitable cover up for their swimming attire.

If it does not matter what people wear in the dining room, what possible concern can there be about someone wearing a bathrobe in other places?

Although I don’t agree with wearing bathrobes around the ship, I can almost understand it on Lido. But this gentleman actually wore his EVERYWHERE! Two of his most popular places was sitting in one of the chairs in the atrium by Guest Services (reading his paper) and relaxing in the Dutch Cafe with coffee and a Danish. Definitely pushing casual to the limit! LOL. We kept wondering if HAL lost his luggage and he was making a visible protest. But we never asked. LOL. He did make for interesting conversation and even made it into our vacation photo book!

If it does not matter what people wear in the dining room, what possible concern can there be about someone wearing a bathrobe in other places?

There are just some “things” I don’t want to see outside the cabin, if you catch my drift. [emoji12]