Somewhat LIVE - on Ovation: Lisbon - Amsterdam - Copenhagen (and beyond)

NJBelle

On Encore last year we had a small folding umbrella in our suite:)

That was not the correct room setup, and the small folding umbrella must have been left behind by a previous guest. Next time, just mention it to your room stew; or even easier, just bring one of the full-sized umbrellas from one of the public area umbrella bins into your own suite, if you wish.

Actually, there is a folding umbrella in our suite as well. Must be a new (and much appreciated) amenity in each suite. Today we carried the full size umbrellas from the disembarking area, but didn’t need them, as it turned out.

Lots of things to post:

First of all, it was a great day in Gijon. We did not get rained on at all. Carried the raincoats and umbrellas (at least on the bus) but did not need them. Weather was about 65 and I was happy with just shirtsleeves, but carried a sweater. Great excursion to Oviedo, a cider brewery and then a fantastic lunch of Asturias specialities.

Sail away was very nice. Since it didn’t rain, we had the quartet and special cocktails on the pool deck.

As far as formal night last night and what people wore: I would say about 90% dark suits or tuxedos ( but really only about 20% total tuxedos). My husband wore his tuxedo since it is as easy to carry as as a dark suit. He also has a lighter sport coat for dinners that he wears, but he decided since we were doing a BtoB that it was worth it to bring the tuxedo.

Entertainment has been good. We like a piano bar and loved Katy Shotter on the Encore last year. Deborah Dyer is the one in the TK Grill this cruise - and she has a fantastic voice, although I don’t love the mechanical assisted music (although she is a great pianist) but understand that management may want something that translates well to the Grill itself. All in, I think TK Grill will be our Go-to, but do have to say that the Observation Lounge (Rachel and Vlady) was good too.

Oh, have to mention a negative. For those who are not going on excursions, there is a “port talk” in the Square each afternoon before a port day. Today I went since we are on our own tomorrow in Bilbao. I have to say the person handling this from Seabourn was the rudest person (from staff) I have seen ever on a cruise. He spoke to us like we were in kindergarten and I heard several people muttering unkind things. In fact, one guy apologized to me since he saw that I heard him, but there was no need to apologize since what he said was not worse than what I was thinking. Seabourn could just set out about 100 maps at 5:20, then a person could show up at 5:30 with extra maps and give a brief talk on what to do. Simple as that without offending multiple passengers.

Hi SLSD ,I think by re reading NJBelle's above post 90% dark suits or tuxedos but only 20% of those are tuxedos.

So I am guessing many more wear dark suits rather than a tuxedo .

We leave in four days so we are sorting through our clothes .The Med is definately easier as at least you know it will be warm there.

I am enjoying reading all the above posts with various information on what to expect on board

No, I went back to read---and you had it right. I think I was thrown off initially by her comment about complete tuxedos. Then, my husband asked the question. I think he will take his dark suit, but a tux takes no more room and maybe even less.

We did a walking food tour today. That is now our “go to” activity when we travel to a city we have been to before and don’t have any must-see sights to cover. We feel like we learn a lot about the city, country and the culture when we take these tours. Today was no exception.

What company did you use for your food tour? We too love doing those and will have a couple of days in Lisbon before the fall transatlantic.

Jennidallas, we used Culinary Backstreets in Lisbon. We had done tours with CB in Lisbon and in Barcelona, so felt comfortable with them (along with good TripAdvisor reviews). It was a really nice tour of a kind of “untouched” neighborhood - still lots of families, old and young people, all living and enjoying the parks, etc. There was not a ton of food; actually a good thing since we didn’t waddle off afterwards. The guide was a serious food writer and we learned a lot about the food of Lisbon and Portugal.

So, packing questions....

I think most of you who are packing or anticipating doing do, have wisely decided on layers. Definitely bring a light waterproof coat. Folding umbrella is in the suite and lots of the big stick umbrellas are available at the gangway. Today, in Biarritz, we needed everything initially. Was definitely raining as we got on the tender. By the time we headed for the bus, it was just misty but not active. Temp was about 60 F to start but warmed up as the day went on. By the time our 4.5 hour excursion was over, i think it was about 70 ( and humid) and I was just in my short sleeves (but still carrying the raincoat over my arm for the walking tour since the skies were really gray). Now we are heading north and getting later in the season, so who knows what the next few weeks will bring. But layers are the key.

And as far as formal night, as I said earlier, I estimated 90% dark suits/tuxedos (but mostly the suits) in The Restaurant. Now remember that people who didn’t bring or want to dress in jackets may have been in other eating venues. So, really, you can get by with what you want to get by with. For us, although we did a lot of dress up during our business careers and (also some now for fundraisers, etc), we think it is a nice part of cruising to dress for dinner. But again, each to his/her own.

I brought a swim suit and coverup but have not seen anyone in the pool or laying out. It has been on the chilly and rainy side for that. But again, I would definitely bring it since there are sure to be some nice days later on.

Thank you NJBelle. What you describe is what I plan on bringing. And, hoping to see you on formal night, I'll bring my understated black cocktail dress. (By the way, my husband wears his jacket every night to dinner (no matter the venue!--just like in Dallas!) and is packing a dark suit.

Wripro, as it turns out, our Port Update today was delivered by Sylvia, one of the Destinations Staff. She was lovely, patient and I heard others saying how much more pleasant this was than with that other guy. I’ll bet others had similar concerns as mine. Well done, Seabourn!

I've been wondering the same thing--but assume that nothing could be done for the pool area as it is a finite size. I have noticed that the decor (in the photos I've seen) is somewhat different.

The layout of the Ovation seems the same as Encore to me. And the sizes of the areas appear not to have really changed. The pool area is still pretty small (IMHO) for a ship this size. I seek shade and have used the areas outside of Seabourn Square and The Club.

What should have changed is the theater - the layout there still has columns blocking views, etc. (although as my husband says, if the columns are needed, then he thinks aesthetics have to suffer). It is just that it is the least attractive of all the ship theaters that I can recall. I much prefer the two levels of Silversea and Regent. Even Crystal ships have better sight lines. What has improved, however, is the sound system. They have over 200 speakers and essentially one very 2 chairs.

Also, the internet seems quite good. Fast, pops up right away. They seem to have put some money into it and it shows.

Next time I see someone who would actually know, I will ask if there were any changes from the Encore.

Just talked to one of the staff in Seabourn Square about changes from Encore. She said they took a lot of feedback from the staff regarding the layout/ amenities of their area (like chairs, sliding shelves under the printers) and it has made their life easier.

For the public spaces:

Certainly having the laundry from the get-go was a big improvement.

Also, they made the bar in The Club on the 5th floor as an actual functional bar (not just for set-ups like on Encore).

In the TK Grill, they moved the hostess desk to the front of the lounge and now people can easily check in when they arrive.

In the stateroom, the shelf/cabinet across from the bed is wider so that people can actually use it to store things on top.

That was all she could think of as I just caught her cold. If I hear more or see more, I will report back.

Since we sailed on the Encore last September/October and will be on the Ovation on June 9th, I look forward to doing a comparison.

I think the theater columns must be a structural issue. It is too bad that with all the designing that is done, that another plan could not be implemented.

From the photos I've seen of the Ovation, it appears the color schemes in the individual veranda rooms are a bit more earthy on the Ovation from clearer colors on the Encore.

We only popped into the Club on the first night on the Encore, but I have read that it needed improvement in the bar area. Great news that this has been done.

I've also read that the deck area outside of the TK Grill is better utilized on the Ovation.

The BEST move would have been if they had done away with the Retreat or, alternatively made it available for all guests at no charge.

I had hoped that other people on this cruise would have posted by now. Anyone on this cruise - please feel free to post since we all have different experiences, even while on the same cruise!

The cruise has been great for us so far. We are some of the ones staying on after Amsterdam - there are 120 of us onboard doing that. And the cruise from Amsterdam to Copenhagen will be full at essentially 600.

We are in a tender port today - St. Mary’s in the Scilly (pronounced silly) Islands. Absolutely picture perfect weather. Lots of people just wandered around the cute island town. Was nice to come back to an outdoor lunch at the Colonnade. Now, we are in the Seabourn Square enjoying a kind of half sea day!

Yesterday was our second real sea day after 6 port days in a row. The ports have been really interesting (Gijon, Bilbao, Biarritz, Bordeaux (overnight) and the La Rochelle) but I really like more sea days. While the sea days are not action packed with entertainment and talks, for us, it is nice to have a chance to read. I am still on my first book from the library here, and usually I can do one every few days. Oh well, lots of beautiful places and nice memories instead.

NJBelle, We will be joining you in Amsterdam. Great to hear that 120 others are staying on. We'll be on Ovation through St. Petersburg, Finland and ending in Stockholm. We're all packed (well, at least 98%) and taking care of a few last minute items. I'm glad you have enjoyed the Ovation!

Like you, I love the sea days and look forward to the several we will have after boarding at Amsterdam.