HAL to Disband HAL Dancers and Singers

ramonod

And the thread is off and running about an unconfirmed rumor that has now turned into fact (especially for those who don't bother to read the thread).

I guess we should be grateful that the rumor is only about singers and dancers and not a drunken brawl in the dining room (scooters at 10 paces).

While I have not heard that HAL plans to stop having its own singers and dancers, the cruise director made a comment on the last cruise that the contract that the singers and dancers work under prohibit the ship from using the entertainers in any other capacity on the ship.

This meant that on a long cruise with a limited number of production shows , other than rehearsals, the entertainment staff had no duties on the ship.

The cruise director commented that he would like to see the entertainment staff available to the cruise director to supplement his staff for activities or other duties.

Maybe (pure speculation on my part) the contract with the supplying agency is up for negotiation?

This sounds like the sort of "successful" contract negotiation in which a short term minor gain leads to the long term total disappearance of employment for the beneficiaries of that gain.

And the thread is off and running about an unconfirmed rumor that has now turned into fact (especially for those who don't bother to read the thread).

I don't see a big problem with that given that the rumor is something that very plausibly makes good business sense, given what we know about trends in the mainstream American consumer marketplace for leisure activities, once you strip away all the static that people upset about such a change try to inject into the discussion to make such a change sound like less of a smart decision than it almost surely is.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

I somehow managed to stay entertained on my recent HAL cruise without the throw-back production shows. I actually don't mind watching them, but it's usually for the wrong reasons. They are almost all uniformly cheesy no matter the cruise line. To be fair, I did watch the preview show and the singers/dancers were quite good, but the material they were given was not. If they take that money and put it into getting better-quality guest entertainers, I'd be all for that (the two on my recent cruise were lame). I absolutely loved the Lincoln Center Stage offerings and had a fun time at BB King's and found America's Test Kitchen a great way to spend an hour or two per day.

I guess we should be grateful that the rumor is only about singers and dancers and not a drunken brawl in the dining room (scooters at 10 paces).

It's the usual posters who need very little provocation to state(once again) how much they dislike what O*l*n*o A*h*o*d is doing to HAL.

Much prefer something like Planet Earth to the dance/music stage shows(tho there were a couple of standout shows on my recent Panama Canal cruise though.)

Oh good grief. I don't watch those programs on TV when I'm home, I sure wouldn't watch anything like that on a cruise. :mad:

How about getting some REAL talent HAL??[/quote

I agree, Carolyn, and like you never watch those programs at home.

Just because YOU don’t watch them doesn’t mean others don’t. The ratings of those shows indicates they’re quite popular. I don’t care for them myself, but I would love something that would involve some friends I was vacationing with. I like karaoke and this is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Too bad if true; but I have got tired of these shows. Maybe I can get to sleep by 8 now :D. I guess expense of new venues such as BB's has impacted overall entertainment on HAL.

We just got back from a 11 day Caribbean cruise on Celebrity. Two production shows, one tribute band to Beatles and 8 different professional entertainers on other 8 nites; that's right, no repeaters !

Just because YOU don’t watch them doesn’t mean others don’t. The ratings of those shows indicates they’re quite popular. I don’t care for them myself, but I would love something that would involve some friends I was vacationing with. I like karaoke and this is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My bad. Silly me, I thought this open forum permitted us to make comments relative to the subject at hand. Thank you for correcting my faulty thinking.

M ost all of us have opinions and they are all of equal value.

To each his or her own... but considered opinion(not what HAL actually says/does) doesn't matter..especially when it's repeated over and over again.

Topic? I think HAL could do better with their shows.Like I said in an earlier post:there were a few shows I liked,but(out of a 2 week cruise) only 3 standouts.

The singers and dancers on our recent Trans Pacific were collectively (and individually) a very talented group of young people. Yes, sometimes the shows can be a bit cheesy, but we still go and enjoy most of them.

Too bad if true; but I have got tired of these shows. Maybe I can get to sleep by 8 now :D. I guess expense of new venues such as BB's has impacted overall entertainment on HAL.

We just got back from a 11 day Caribbean cruise on Celebrity. Two production shows, one tribute band to Beatles and 8 different professional entertainers on other 8 nites; that's right, no repeaters !

Oh my, so you would fit the stereotypical HAL cruiser. Have dinner before the sun sets and be in bed around dusk :). You might be shocked to know that some of us actually stay up until midnight...although on some HAL cruises that is like being awake in a morgue. I understand that some folks like watching movies or even TV. But we can watch that stuff in our Living Room and hardly need to go on a cruise for rerun movies, documentaries, etc. DW and I still enjoy live entertainment, although that is becoming more difficult to find on HAL (and some other cruise lines) where shows are accompanied by pre-recorded sound tracks, bands sound like the music we used to hear in roller skating rinks, and the Rosario quartets are now duos of varying skill levels.

We once had a conversation with a very popular HAL CD that went something like this: Me: Do you think HAL cruisers go to bed early because there is nothing to do at night....or do you have nothing to do at night because everyone goes to bed early? Our question got a good laugh from the CD and the others in our little chat circle.

As to "Planet Earth" is is available on Roku. My home theater system provided better quality sound then we get in HAL theaters and we can watch "Planet Earth" anytime at our own leisure. We do not book HAL cruises for our basic Living Room entertainment. If the live shows have become boring, then HAL needs to rethink how they do their live shows. Perhaps the new Karaoke format (all sound tracks are pre recorded) is part of the problem.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I thought the entertainment was lacking on my Koningsdam cruise with the singers and dancers only appearing a few times in two weeks. It was a sad thing that the comedian was the best talent. I had read that the entertainment had improved and that they were making better use of the 270 degree theater and booked a 22 day transatlantic and Med cruise. If this turns out to be true I will cancel. Bob

This "news" is not going to stress me. As long ago as the Volendam's 2002 Asia/Pacific Cruise, there was "news" that HAL was going to do away with live music for the main shows and going to "canned music". Yes, there were changes to the programs that included the performers. But, there have been many more such changes since 2002. Live music did return. (The live on-stage performances of Cantare during the Nieuw Amsterdam's introduction year being an example.) Other changes have since taken place as well, with some more personally appreciated than others.

While I do enjoy most of the live HAL cast performances that I see, I would hope that any elimination of such performances would not occur.

Edited by rkacruiser

I can only comment that indeed on WC2018 there were very few singers/dancer performances - to the extent that we really noticed it. Further, the show is 45 minutes.

So many of the individual acts are boring IMHO and hence we either go for a few minutes and leave or just skip it. We are seriously contemplating returning to either Regent or Crystal. We left them because we were getting better value for the dollar with HAL from 2006-2015 ... since then it seems they are slipping into mediocrity.

harry

This "news" is not going to stress me. As long ago as the Volendam's 2002 Asia/Pacific Cruise, there was "news" that HAL was going to do away with music for the main shows and going to "canned music". Yes, there were changes to the programs that included the performers. But, there have been many more such changes since 2002. Live music did return. Other changes have since taken place as well, with some more personally appreciated than others.

Oops, inadvertently forgot to mention the band - also a very good group of musicians.

... Do you think HAL cruisers go to bed early because there is nothing to do at night....or do you have nothing to do at night because everyone goes to bed early?

I know what this passenger does: she is going back to her cabin early because there is nothing to do at night.

There was a time I closed the last bar---at 2:00 AM---on 161 consecutive cruising nights. And would have stayed out later had the bar stayed open.

But then the last bar started closing at 1:00, then midnight, and now Piano Bars, which I loved, no longer exist on HAL.

Then came the time when, as the late show ended, all the musicians were on break. So, nothing to do; no where to go and have fun. Might as well keep walking straight back to the cabin and head to bed.

So, now I finish dinner, maybe go to the show (if it sounds promising), then head to my cabin.

Oh my, so you would fit the stereotypical HAL cruiser. Have dinner before the sun sets and be in bed around dusk :). You might be shocked to know that some of us actually stay up until midnight...although on some HAL cruises that is like being awake in a morgue. I understand that some folks like watching movies or even TV. But we can watch that stuff in our Living Room and hardly need to go on a cruise for rerun movies, documentaries, etc. DW and I still enjoy live entertainment, although that is becoming more difficult to find on HAL (and some other cruise lines) where shows are accompanied by pre-recorded sound tracks, bands sound like the music we used to hear in roller skating rinks, and the Rosario quartets are now duos of varying skill levels.

We once had a conversation with a very popular HAL CD that went something like this: Me: Do you think HAL cruisers go to bed early because there is nothing to do at night....or do you have nothing to do at night because everyone goes to bed early? Our question got a good laugh from the CD and the others in our little chat circle.

As to "Planet Earth" is is available on Roku. My home theater system provided better quality sound then we get in HAL theaters and we can watch "Planet Earth" anytime at our own leisure. We do not book HAL cruises for our basic Living Room entertainment. If the live shows have become boring, then HAL needs to rethink how they do their live shows. Perhaps the new Karaoke format (all sound tracks are pre recorded) is part of the problem.

Hank

Just a preface that sometimes these threads become 'entertainment'...

So, I will play along.

OMG!!!! Hank, Just LOVE that question!!!!! It is like, when one is having a party or hosting a gathering... "We had better go to bed so our guests can leave." HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

And, incredibly so, there are a couple of cruise lines that seem to be even worse. Like the one that repeatedly touts 'Books... and Scrabble".

There are lots of books and board games at our local old folks care center!!!

And, guess what, they are all FREE!!!!

Hahahaha!!!!

I know what this passenger does: she is going back to her cabin early because there is nothing to do at night.

There was a time I closed the last bar---at 2:00 AM---on 161 consecutive cruising nights. And would have stayed out later had the bar stayed open.

But then the last bar started closing at 1:00, then midnight, and now Piano Bars, which I loved, no longer exist on HAL.

Then came the time when, as the late show ended, all the musicians were on break. So, nothing to do; no where to go and have fun. Might as well keep walking straight back to the cabin and head to bed.

So, now I finish dinner, maybe go to the show (if it sounds promising), then head to my cabin.

My recent experience:

After the show is over, there is music in the Crow's Nest with a DJ if one enjoys the individual's "patter" and selection of music. Personally, I have good memories of some pleasant Crow's Nest late nights. Well attended? No. But, the dance floor is not crowded, either.

If nothing else--and I am not ready for bed--a trip to the Lido for a cup of an herbal tea taken to a seat near the stern, enjoying the sound of the sea and the sights of the night sky satisfies me before bedtime.

Each to his/her own, of course.

Or switch to a cruise line that serves your niche interests better. How is the dancing on Seabourn?

Seabourn had an excellent entertainment group of four very talented (opera capable) singers and two ballet dancers. Outstanding. They did not perform other duties (like library, games, or hosting) but they were visible around the ship and very friendly. They each hosted a table in the MDR one night during the cruise. The other entertainment was HAL quality (in fact, we saw the same show that we has seen on a HAL ship). Seabourn also had lounge ensemble with a female singer who was very talented.

I was hoping that HAL might improve to have more Seabourn quality entertainment.

Thank you RKA....

What type of music/DJ....

I think the answer to that is very important!

Also, and this is NOT rumor... The Crow's Nest seems to be really compromised with the new layout and EXC. Which limits the drink/food service even further.

I am afraid that your info/suggestion is a very weak solution here.

And, a late nightcap of 'herbal tea'.... Hey, how about just the warm milk...

Cruised the Med early this month and were advised by several staff that HAL intend to phase out having its own dancers and singers for live shows.

Instead the emphasis will be on having "competitions" such as The Voice using passengers as the entertainment.:mad::mad::mad:

Would be a great shame as these young people have wonderful talent and provide great entertainment.

They would all be out of a job.:mad::mad:

Anyone else heard that this is happening?

Very interesting because several years ago I went to a concert and had the opportunity to speak to the singer afterward . He said that once a year he had been appearing on an HAL ship but no longer be doing that because HAL was going with staff singers for the most part.

If the live shows have become boring, then HAL needs to rethink how they do their live shows.
Or rethink doing live shows, if that isn't what passengers want any longer.

i was hoping that HAL might improve to have more Seabourn quality entertainment.
It would be idiocy for a company to compete against its own premium offering.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.