Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wine-O

Embarkation in Amsterdam

We're not due to sail until 5pm. If we check in early, can we drop off our bags in our stateroom and head back ashore for an hour or two? I know we should be back by 3pm or thereabouts, whenever they close check ins.

We.ve done that many time with our RCI cruises out of Southampton and Barcelona in Europe. Also at many ports on this side of the Atlantic and in Europe with other cruise lines.. Once you are checked in it is like a port call if you get off the ship so one must return at least 30 minutes prior to sailing but I wouldn't cut it that close. ;)

Aren't you staying at a hotel close to the port? Why don't you just check you luggage there, enjoy your morning, pick up the luggage and then check in? Why waste time standing in line to check in at the pier?

You can drop your bags off at around 10 AM and then wait until about 3 PM to check in, get your seapass and board. Of course you would need to carry your valuables with you in Amsterdam which can be risky and inconvenient. Asking your hotel to hold your stuff might be a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aren't you staying at a hotel close to the port? Why don't you just check you luggage there, enjoy your morning, pick up the luggage and then check in? Why waste time standing in line to check in at the pier?

You can drop your bags off at around 10 AM and then wait until about 3 PM to check in, get your seapass and board. Of course you would need to carry your valuables with you in Amsterdam which can be risky and inconvenient. Asking your hotel to hold your stuff might be a better option.

Thanks for your options and recommendations. My plan is to check in, board, drop off my stuff, then meet with some friends in the terminal area. I just want to be sure that once I board I am able to get back off for a couple of hours.