Vista / Live / Solo - May 27-June 2 2018...

sid_9169

I can't believe that I'm now only days away from sailing the beautiful Carnival Vista!... This journey actually began wayyy back on January 25th 2016. The sailing date was still 593 days in the future, and the Vista was still at the Fincantieri shipyard in Trieste, Italy. It was to be an 8 day sailing to the sunny Eastern Caribbean, to four ports, three of which I had yet to visit. Fast forward about 589 days and hurricane Irma was making her way across many of the islands I was to sail to, and heading towards Miami. Other cruise lines, including Norwegian and Royal Caribbean had already cancelled and refunded sailings for that week. Meanwhile, Carnival took a "wait and see" approach to the situation, and eventually sailed out on Wednesday September 13th for a 4 night cruise, with only 800 passengers on board.

I had already cancelled my flights and hotel in Miami, with full refunds, and was basically left with a "future cruise credit" with Carnival. The only way I would ever get any value whatsoever out of this was to book another Carnival cruise. The only problem was that I had already paid in full a long time ago for an 8 night sailing, Anything in the forseeable future was going to cost much more, and the same amount of money would only cover a 6 night sailing. I reluctantly made a booking that would be over 8 more months away from my original sailing date. My "new countdown" was 255 days...

At 102 days before sailing, I received an email offer from Carnival to upgrade from an inside to a balcony for $150 total... I went online, and found a cabin on deck 7 starboard side-aft, and five minutes later it was a done deal. I have been sailing in insides for a couple of years now, due to cost. I decided that I had been waiting for this cruiise for so long now that I deserved it... Now, the only thing left to book was my Cheers! beverage package and internet plan.

Which brings us to now... I have been reading reviews of the Vista for over 2 years now, and it's finally almost my turn! Many reports have been mixed on Carnival's flag ship. Some don't like the new atrium, absent the grand scale of her predecessors... Others have reported cutbacks in service, and crowding with the additional passenger capacity. I have decided to ignore all of the negativity, and go in with an open mind, and just be thankful that my day has finally come!...

This "Live report" will follow my travels from my home here in Atlanta, as I make my way to Miami for 1 afternoon and evening. From there, I invite you all to experience the beautiful Carnival Vista through my narrative and photographs. I will attempt to convey the sights, the sounds, and most importantly the tastes of all my journey has to offer. This tale will cover the 555 Steakhouse, The Chef's Table, JiJi Asian Kitchen, Guy's Pig & Anchor BBQ, The Seafood Shack, The Deli, BlueIguana Cantina, Guy's Burger Joint, Pizza Pirate, the MDR, Lido Buffet, and whatever else that I can get into my belly... Of course we will also be putting my Cheers Beverage Package through it's paces at every bar on board, and report back on all the greatest hits.

• Like 4

The weather looks a bit sketchy for the next several days, but I'm not going to let that put a damper on my long awaited vacation... I was hoping for some decent weather for my day in Miami, but that's also looking like a possible wash out... Whatever happens, I'm on vacation!...

IMG_20180525_091459450.thumb.jpg.9305b24635df10ecd4ed556fcec89cce.jpg

Sent from my Space Phone 9169...

Following along, about 8 of my family members will be joining you and I’m still hating that I couldn’t join them.. I have my senior graduation to attend. I am sure you will have a Great time on The Vista!!!! (BTW did you say Solo???) You’re braver than I am[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this storm online this morning, but I think you'll be fine. Its "only" a subtropical with 40 mph winds and does not look like it will grow in intensity. Plus, it appears that it is headed towards New Orleans so you will be clear by Sunday when you board. Not sure which port you're visiting (did i miss that?) but that storm should be out of the Caribbean by Sunday so you should be clear mostly.

Also, Liberty of the Seas, Carnival Breeze and NCL Getaway are docked in Cozumel now, so apparently, its safe enough to sail through, but I'm pretty sure its a wet nasty day for them down there.

Thanks for following along!... I was beginning to think I was doing a Live Review to myself :o.. Yes, this will be my 14th Solo cruise (6 on Carnival and 8 on Norwegian)

Following along, about 8 of my family members will be joining you and I’m still hating that I couldn’t join them.. I have my senior graduation to attend. I am sure you will have a Great time on The Vista!!!! (BTW did you say Solo???) You’re braver than I am[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be plenty of Chefs Table p0rn incoming soon!... Thanks for following along...

Following. I am especially interested in reading about your experience with the Chef's Table since I have that booked for my June 16th cruise on the Vista.

Thank you both for following along! I'm trying to survive a few more hours of work, and my vacation officially begins!...

Ohhh can't wait to read your 'live' review. :)

Looking forward to your review we are on a 6 day in July and doing the steakhouse too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw this storm online this morning, but I think you'll be fine. Its "only" a subtropical with 40 mph winds and does not look like it will grow in intensity. Plus, it appears that it is headed towards New Orleans so you will be clear by Sunday when you board. Not sure which port you're visiting (did i miss that?) but that storm should be out of the Caribbean by Sunday so you should be clear mostly.

Also, Liberty of the Seas, Carnival Breeze and NCL Getaway are docked in Cozumel now, so apparently, its safe enough to sail through, but I'm pretty sure its a wet nasty day for them down there.

Yes, the weather looks like it may be a factor, I have made preparations...

IMG_20180525_130415111.thumb.jpg.972b8b8612e963122fbfc9f70a45775d.jpg

Looking forward to this review! I'm leaving tomorrow (from ATL as well) for my first solo trip on Carnival. Loved your NCL reviews, so I'm sure this will be great!
Thanks natefish95, I have been reading your review this week...

In a few minutes I am clocking out, and my vacation will begin in earnest... Well, after shlepping across town in bumper to bumper traffic, that is...

But after that, the packing and preparing for cruise day finally begins!!!...

IMG_20180525_173904112_HDR.thumb.jpg.abb01aab2c99580f85cf15f8484f932d.jpg

Traffic was thankfully lighter than normal, and my pre cruise ritual of laundry, packing, and adult beverages is underway...

***Note: If you're offended by photos of alcoholic beverages, you may want to bail out while you have a chance. They're going to be coming in "hot and heavy" throughout the week...

My first official drink of vacation: the mezcal margarita with fresh lime juice...

IMG_20161105_181912974.thumb.jpg.3a11406910afa9259deece1eb0e05373.jpg

• Like 1

I loved your reviews on Norwegian, so I will be following!

I have been eyeing Carnival for a future cruise and have been lurking here. LOL!

For now, I am booked on the Escape in October (Solo - Studio Cabin). So glad you got a balcony! (y)

Looking forward to your "Live" review on the Vista which is the ship I am interested in.

Have a great trip! :) :tropical-drink:

I loved your reviews on Norwegian, so I will be following!

I have been eyeing Carnival for a future cruise and have been lurking here. LOL!

For now, I am booked on the Escape in October (Solo - Studio Cabin). So glad you got a balcony! (y)

Looking forward to your "Live" review on the Vista which is the ship I am interested in.

Have a great trip! :) :tropical-drink:

Thank you ocean blue waters... The wait for this cruise has been long, and with many obstacles... Now they're talking about another disturbance in the gulf. I haven't cruised Carnival in about 3 years, but I'm looking forward to finally sailing the Vista!...

Just in case it wasn't evident already, I'm a fan of tequila... So expect to see several drink p0rn photos of the elixir of the agave God's...

21544088_355037701595503_2186791085495914061_o.thumb.jpg.6c39ae55acc374cb63325ddc91669963.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1