Washington/Alaska-- alcohol taxes?

Sailing out of Seattle to Alaska in August. Wondering about state taxes that are sometimes charged on alcohol until the ship is out far enough into waters? Or does this only apply more for the Caribbean cruises? I know out of Florida on the Escape until we were out a certain distance, the state tax would apply

Sailing out of Seattle to Alaska in August. Wondering about state taxes that are sometimes charged on alcohol until the ship is out far enough into waters? Or does this only apply more for the Caribbean cruises? I know out of Florida on the Escape until we were out a certain distance, the state tax would apply

We took this cruise last year, and yes, they do charge sales/use tax on the pre-embarkation drinks while in port. I just looked up the tax rate for August, the rate will be 10.1%. I think that the highest rate in our state! But the view will be amazing. Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pretty sure tax applies on the ship. When in port you pay the local tax. In Washington state we do get tax free on beverages that list milk as their primary ingredient. So Starbucks latte = no tax but the beverage tax is applied to alcohol and sugary drinks such as a soda. Starbucks lobbied successfully for exemptions on their sugary beverages as long as they list milk as primary ingredient. The high tax is meant as a deterrent for bad for you beverages but ironically some of the Starbucks tax exempt beverages are up to 68 grams of sugar and tax exempt.

It is suppose to apply to all alcohol regardless of the state sailing from or where you are sailing to. We have been charged in sailing out of NOLA< Boston and NYC> It is so little it has never bothered us, but it should apply to sailing out of Washington as well.

that's what I was wondering - - - if we are cruising Alaska for the entire week, then if every time we order a drink, whether in port or not, we would be charged a tax on every drink?
So what is your actual question....... your questions have been answered multiple times....

Washington: yes to tax on ship while in port

Alaska: yes to tax on ship if individual port city charges tax

While cruising in international waters no tax will be charged

While cruising in Alaskan waters there is no tax charged because Alaska, as a state, does not charge tax and you are not docked in a city

You're making a big deal out of about 50 cents a drink when a tax may be charged.