Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
ronbe65

Nieuw Amsterdam: A Luxury Resort Ship of Love and Romance, or How to Cruise on "HAL"

great story, keep going, fun to read, new perspective, its your fun trip, sharing is great.

Thank you.

A new prospective appears to be a risky adventure. :)

I write this review as a letter to my friends. I want them to know more, and get the best of their cruise vacation.

My signature is my personal cruise blog, personal cruise experience. It's fully compliant with the rules. There is no need to read it if you don't like it.

I should have started a thread "Dress shorts in MDR" to receive a less aggressive response.

I totally agree! 🤣🤣 A dress code thread would have attracted less snarky remarks, but just barely! I, for one, find your info interesting, so don’t let the naysayers stop your flow. I’ve actually learned a few interesting facts about the ships. In fact, pour it on! And for those who don’t want to read it, chill out and simply unsubscribe to the thread so you don’t have to see it, pretty simple. Just move along.

"Ship-within-a-ship" concept on the Nieuw Amsterdam

What is SWS and how it differs from a regular suite perks on cruise ships: please read this post on the other board and be fully aware of what is what.

This is how I see it on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

The product quality that the Nieuw Amsterdam delivers is (in some aspects) close, or equal, or exceeds the SWS experience.

So what we can have on this ship is simply a "ship-within-a-ship" of a size of the whole ship!

No segregation, no fences, no locked doors.

Top class for everyone.

Speaking of the SWS segregation, Holland America Line (yes, this time we can talk about the whole cruise line) is among a few major cruise lines with spotless reputation. Just a few. Another one is Costa cruises.

211-1.jpg

Let’s go back to 2010 and see what ship was designed within the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Tonnage: close to 90,000 GT(a mid-size cruise ship)

Passengers: 2100 (doubleoccupancy)

Nieuw Amsterdam from A to Z:

observation deck,

two observation lounges,

full circle promenade,

wide choice of cabins for different budgets,

two swimming pools (adult only aft sea view pool deck),

large sports court,

first class spa with a real hydrotherapy pool,

modern gym,

kids club,

spacious private feel sundecks with sweeping vistas,

choice of specialty restaurants,

elegant art deco interiors,

fresh flowers everywhere,

artwork collection that fills the ship with a flavor of classic sea travel and more than 100 years history of the cruise line,

good to excellent food andservice,

live music throughout the ship,

daily afternoon tea – something that goes without saying,

a classic ocean liner vibe ona modern cruise ship.

My younger friends, did you hear this word?

Vibe!

Yes, this ship has a vibe, has a nerve, has spirit...

Food for thoughts: name any “luxury ship” (club style ship) that fits this list from A to Z?

None!

Wait, how about “being close to the sea” on a large cruise ship?

This is not an exclusive feature of the small ships.

It’s a matter of talent and taste of the shipbuilders (and a desire of those who order the ships of course!)

Needless to say that on the Nieuw Amsterdam one can feel as close to the sea as if it was a private yacht with added feel of being on a powerful ship that sails majestically across the seas.

This is what the Nieuw Amsterdam was at the time of leaving the shipyard in 2010.

Coming next: Nieuw Amsterdam in 2018

Edited by ronbe65

Costa has a spotless reputation? LOL

The Concordia passengers - and those who died on her - disagree.

I didn't realize this was supposed to be a review of a cruise? :confused:

Are you sure that's what it is? With pictures of so many ships???

Ruth:

Post 1, about a short review of a 7 day cruise.

OP is right, no need to follow this thread, yet it sounds as if the review itself could be interesting.

As a future guest on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I am rather enjoying the suspense and build up to the review...if nothing else, a creative thread that breaks out of the CC mold!

I will be on the nieuw Amsterdam in December as my 1st HAL sailing. So far, my research has shown me that it will have quite different energy from what I have sailed on thus far so it will be interesting. Do I need hairy chest contests? no. Do I need broadway shows? no. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy them to some degree. I am anticipating mellow, not such a bad thing.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread for the mere fact that I didn't have to read incessant bashing of opinions. What a nice change. Hopefully I will say that about my sailing.....

I will be on the nieuw Amsterdam in December as my 1st HAL sailing. So far, my research has shown me that it will have quite different energy from what I have sailed on thus far so it will be interesting. Do I need hairy chest contests? no. Do I need broadway shows? no. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy them to some degree. I am anticipating mellow, not such a bad thing.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread for the mere fact that I didn't have to read incessant bashing of opinions. What a nice change. Hopefully I will say that about my sailing.....

The Nieuw Amsterdam is a great ship! Even though you won’t get the hairy chest or twerking contests, you can find some great music and high energy at B.B. Kings and Billboard on Board. And if you’re a foodie, I highly recommend dining at least once at the Tamarind, an Asian fusion restaurant with spectacular food, service and views! You can checkout the menu on the Holland America website. And we usually make reservations early enough so we can enjoy the sunset. I hope you enjoy your 1st HAL cruise!

Seems like a Cruisetrail redux to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like a Cruisetrail redux to me.

That's it! Lol Thanks for jogging my memory. Last night when reading the thread it reminded me of a thread I had read a good while back re: Celebrity ships. (At least a couple years ago, if not longer ago.) I could not remember the author of the thread.

Thank you for the memory assist and making me smile today.:)

That's it! Lol Thanks for jogging my memory. Last night when reading the thread it reminded me of a thread I had read a good while back re: Celebrity ships. (At least a couple years ago, if not longer ago.) I could not remember the author of the thread.

Thank you for the memory assist and making me smile today.:)

Glad I could help!

Maybe this review is a little unconventional, but I like it. We're booked on the Eurodam in September, so hopefully some of the material in this review will apply to both ships.

MS Nieuw Amsterdam Today

A $100 note today is not what it was in 2010.

We have to admit this.

And we also have to admit that the stars of a cruise ship rating in 2010 are not exactly the same weight in 2018.

The cruise industry standards have slipped down since then and continue to do so.

More water is being added into cruise lines cooking pots (literally – food and service, and figuratively – new ships design).

Bean counters have more say nowadays.

However different cruise lines/different ships have been afeected diffrently.

How did the Nieuw Amsterdam survive this period and how isshe doing today?

Let's see...

Must admit that this thread made me smile. Maybe some of the naysayers were having a bad day. Cheer up. The Nieuw Amsterdam is a super ship!

Right Ship, Right Itinerary, Right Time

Cruise Ship + Itinerary = Cruise

The right ship helps you get the best of the itinerary.

The right itinerary helps you get the best of the ship.

Add the right time.

Together they help you get the best of the cruise.

What itinerary?

Believe me or not, nothing is better for a 7-day Caribbean resort cruise than the "iconic" Eastern itinerary that includes Half Moon Key (cruise line private island), Grand Turk (cruise line "private reservation"), San Juan, and St. Thomas (MUST be all four, no substitutes like Amber Cove).

The Nieuw Amsterdam is a perfect match for this itinerary.

The romantic ship and romantic islands meet each other like lips of lovers.

We'll come back to itinerary details later.

At this time I would like to show you the Voyage Log (every cabin gets it):

CruiseLog200.jpg

CruiseLog600.jpg

These people will make sure that our cruise is going as planned:

V%2BPlanner%2B1.jpg

And this is an outline for the Dining and Entertainment on board:

V%2BPlanner%2B2.jpg

Edited by ronbe65

Maybe this review is a little unconventional, but I like it. We're booked on the Eurodam in September, so hopefully some of the material in this review will apply to both ships.

Me, too. But, I must admit I am addicted to reading about ships. :-)

The Nieuw Amsterdam is about to set sail.

A final touch-up before departure.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Embarkation was quick and easy.

A note for the new cruisers: we almost never check in our luggage. The security scanners are large enough for our medium size suitcases. Benefits: no waiting for the luggage to be delivered.

You'll see most passengers checking in their luggage, but note that it's not mandatory.

We are on board!

After a recent revamp the ship is immaculately clean, fresh and shiny like an amber drop.

Thanks god, the ship did not suffer any major hardware design changes (like added cabins, ruined open decks,etc.)

Changes were made to the layout, décor, and functionality of some areas only.

This is what you see as you enter the cabin:

3.jpg

4.jpg

Let's take a look at the daily program.

Day 1 >>Embarkation day<<

Day1-1.jpg

Day1-2.jpg

Day1-3.jpg

Day1-4.jpg

Day1-5.jpg

The Nieuw Amsterdam is a great ship! Even though you won’t get the hairy chest or twerking contests, you can find some great music and high energy at B.B. Kings and Billboard on Board. And if you’re a foodie, I highly recommend dining at least once at the Tamarind, an Asian fusion restaurant with spectacular food, service and views! You can checkout the menu on the Holland America website. And we usually make reservations early enough so we can enjoy the sunset. I hope you enjoy your 1st HAL cruise!

Thanks for the suggestion on dining! We are budgeted for one specialty restaurant, decisions, decisions.

On board

First things to do once on board:

1. I would suggest that you go to the Spa (Deck 9 forward) and book Thermal Suite (unlimited for 7 days). It may be about $250.00 per couple.

2. Then you'll see the Maitre D' to arrange our dining program: change your table or dining time (early, late, or anytime, book the Tamarind specialty restaurant - any day except the Gala Dinner days).

3. It's time to start getting familiar with ship. Tour the ship. Find a viewing spot for sailaway.

It can be the front viewing deck (if the Captain does not "forget" to open the access to it), the uppermost sun deck midship, etc. We normally start from the front observation deck, or the sun deck midship, then move to the stern (pool deck 9).

FAQ: balcony cabin - what side of the ship?

IMO the only reason to choose between the sides is to watch sailaway from your balcony. Therefore it's going to be port side (left side). But note that the best views are from the open decks.

Note the time when you have to be at the Muster station for a mandatory drill. HAL takes it very seriously. Don't miss!

map900.jpg

map%2Bfor.jpg

Map%2BMid.jpg

map%2Baft.jpg

MS Nieuw Amsterdam is departing Port Everglades for a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise:

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

MS Nieuw Amsterdam is departing Port Everglades for a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise:

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Don’t forget lunch!

Sure!

Thanks for reminding.

A quick bite in the hectic (embarkation day!) Lido buffet.

Interiors

Studying the ship you are going to cruise on is a part of your "homework".

Once on board, you can compare your preliminary impressions with the reality.

I suggest that you explore the whole ship thoroughly, find the spots that the cruise line has prepared "for you only".

Post Refit Impressions

The ship retains its original elegant décor and layout in general.

Crow's Nest - Front Observation Lounge

A forward viewing lounge is a luxury feature that can be seen on the most advanced cruise ships.

It's a hot topic now as this "iconic" lounge has undergone a complete renovation.

Crow's Nest Today

I see a loss here.

The lovely Exploration Cafe is gone.

The area of the former Exploration café is now an excursion office.

A1.jpg

A few touch screen tables indicate that the digital world has found it’s way here.

Touch the screen and get information on the ports of call and other destinations worldwide.

The thing is that these screens are more decorative than useful. Two of them display the minimum info on the ports of call (a map with a few “points of interest”).

The other ones display “cards” – selections of colored pictures, etc.

This is a good stuff to look at while waiting in a doctor’s office, i.e. something that you would look at and put aside in a few minutes.

IMO this is a useless decoration, waste of space and equipment.

But lt looks fresh (and smells fresh) and "contemporary".

A2.jpg

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

A6.jpg